House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
50:50

Strange Things Are Afoot In Bristol

There is something strange going on in the area of Bristol where I live. After a flurry of activity just after christmas there is now hardly anything for sale in my area or on the drive to work. The only stuff that is still for sale is way over priced compared to similar property that sold at the end of 2005.

I went past an EA's window the other day and it looked half empty. I would have expected a lot of houses to come on the market around now as people try to take advantage of the "Spring bounce".

There is something strange going on in the area of Bristol where I live. After a flurry of activity just after christmas there is now hardly anything for sale in my area or on the drive to work. The only stuff that is still for sale is way over priced compared to similar property that sold at the end of 2005.

I went past an EA's window the other day and it looked half empty. I would have expected a lot of houses to come on the market around now as people try to take advantage of the "Spring bounce".

where do you live in bristol?? I live in bs1 and there are 5-10 per day coming on the market...

ril

where do you live in bristol?? I live in bs1 and there are 5-10 per day coming on the market...

ril

I live in Westbury-on-Trym so I've been looking round here, Henleaze and also Southmead and Filton as I have to drive through those areas on the way to work. That covers a pretty wide price range and I cant see anything for sale anywhere (apart from houses tha tcame on the market just after christmas). A quick look on Rightmove confirms that there isn't much new stuff coming on the market round here at the moment.

Edited by 50:50

I can't say I've noticed any sort of shortage of housing coming onto the market, but I have to agree that asking prices seem to have been hiked up by 5-10K at the lower end the scale. Is it actually selling though and if it is for what price?

I live in Westbury-on-Trym so I've been looking round here, Henleaze and also Southmead and Filton as I have to drive through those areas on the way to work. That covers a pretty wide price range and I cant see anything for sale anywhere (apart from houses tha tcame on the market just after christmas). A quick look on Rightmove confirms that there isn't much new stuff coming on the market round here at the moment.

God its expensive there. My girlfriend likes a cottage there 1.5 bedroom for 259k, no garden, no garage and its pink!

I spent most of last summer and autumn looking for a house within commuting distance of north Bristol (Bradley Stoke, Stoke Gifford, Yate, Nailsea etc).

The market did seem to go mad in October and November, with rubbish that had been on the market for >6 months suddenly being sold. I'm still getting Rightmove alerts, and there don't seem to be many properties in Bradley Stoke on the market now, and prices seem to have risen 5 or 10% since last July. The typical asking price for a small 3-bed detached has risen from 190K to 210K, and semis are now being advertised at prices that would have bought a detached prices last summer.

I bought a house just outside Bristol in December. I'm not sure this was the right decision, as I still think the housing market is in for a substantial correction, but I'm glad I'm not still looking for a house.

I spent most of last summer and autumn looking for a house within commuting distance of north Bristol (Bradley Stoke, Stoke Gifford, Yate, Nailsea etc).

The market did seem to go mad in October and November, with rubbish that had been on the market for >6 months suddenly being sold. I'm still getting Rightmove alerts, and there don't seem to be many properties in Bradley Stoke on the market now, and prices seem to have risen 5 or 10% since last July. The typical asking price for a small 3-bed detached has risen from 190K to 210K, and semis are now being advertised at prices that would have bought a detached prices last summer.

I bought a house just outside Bristol in December. I'm not sure this was the right decision, as I still think the housing market is in for a substantial correction, but I'm glad I'm not still looking for a house.

Asking prices have definately gone up but actual sales prices sem to be about the same or have gone down a bit. I was talking to my mates girlfriend at the weekend, she is an EA. She siad they havent been able to get anywhere near the asking price for months and sellers have been forced to accept offers well below the asking price.

What did the EA class as well below? When i speak to EA's they always think 5% off is a good price.

In this case well below was 10-15%

What did the EA class as well below? When i speak to EA's they always think 5% off is a good price.

30%+ off is a good price. 5% off is still a rip-off, though EAs would want you to believe it's a good price because they have a vested interest. What EAs think about house prices is totally irrelevant as they will never tell you the truth, only what they hope will make you part with more of your hard-earned than you should.

Quick ononemap from filton gave the following.

Seems like plenty of choice filton.JPGfilton.JPG

I think that map is quite out of date. Many of the houses shown have been "Sold STC" for quite some time and I assume some of them have actually completed as the for sale signes have dissappeared completely. The internet is no substitute for actually going and having a look.

It certainly seems like asking prices have rocketed in Bradley Stoke in the last 6 months. This house is advertised at £208K. From the advert, it looks identical to one that was on the market for £185K until 4 months ago. This location is handy for the M4, in fact the M4 is about 30 metres away behind that embankment with the fence on top.

Interesting. I started to get the same impression in my area (North Warwickshire) in Feb. A lot of houses that didn't sell last year seem to have been taken off the market around Xmas. Maybe this coincided with panicking buyers and hence the price increases of Jan and Feb? Anyway they seem to be filtering back now and there are still some properties that have been on for months - like my neighbour who just gets angrier and angrier as he swaps agents, brings the price down a tad and still gets nowhere.