House Price Crash Forum

Land Registry figures

I think the Q3 figures are out fairly shortly. They are the most accurate figures, but unfortunately they most accurately tell you about prices 9 months ago, so are not much help in indicating the state of the market going forward. The LR figs are historical, rather than predictive.

The other thing with the LR data is that it is raw data, and makes no account for what exactly is being sold. It could be that there are more lower-end properties sold recently, which will drag the average price down, and likewise a lot of larger properties being sold could well pull the average price up.

I keep saying that I don't expect to see much of a change in average prices, but would be very surprised if the number of transactions does not fall dramatically for Q3 and Q4 LR results.

To be fair, LR list how many are sold of each type.

I use the data to plot terraced house and flat prices for my very restrictedpostcode areas (previous and current) to confirm or deny what I observed for myself.

So far LR and observations match well, allowing for the time shift between them.

I think the Q3 figures are out fairly shortly. They are the most accurate figures, but unfortunately they most accurately tell you about prices 9 months ago, so are not much help in indicating the state of the market going forward. The LR figs are historical, rather than predictive.

Hi zzg,

I don't agree. A house may come to the market for £150,000 and the venor might sit there for 7 months with no buyer. He might then drop the price to £140,000 and sell the next day. The first 7 months are not relevent to the data. What matters is what happened on the day that the deal was struck. This was the day that someone felt that the property was worth whatever they paid for it.

Now most transactions are recorded in the quarter that they happen. 18% or therabouts of late returns are updated on the following quarter. If it was lagging so badly then the late returns would out-number the first cut.

So the land reg data that comes out for Q3 will pretty much reflect what happened in that quarter, in terms of completions. Or what happened with sales, 60 days prior to the LR data. The maximum that I would say they are behind is 5 months. IE: Data out in November will reflect sales agreed in June/July