House Price Crash Forum
pobby

More Retail Gloom

In a previous post I explained that I am a free lance sales agent with over 6000 product lines which are many and various.Most of my retail customers are independent dealers.Bar a very few,all are reporting a downward trend which is really coming into play this year.

Even when I had a sales trip to Ireland last week ,most were saying tjhat trade is poor.Some dealers are saying this is worse than the 90s recession and I have one dealer who says in over 40 years of trading this is the worse he has seen it.

These problems will and are being compounded by rent reviews based on landlords re-valuing there properties and trying,in some cases,to double rents.I am sure that this is the reason that some HPCs who have already mentioned that they are seeing a number of closed shops

As a newbie I should really introduce myself.I am a baby boomer,I have next to no mortgage{I have other problems like crappy investment returnsto which to retireon}BUT I certainly am a bear.I saw the crash which affected me during the 90s.I see the this crazy,out of kilter housing boom and I am very,very angry that this has been allowed to happen.I am sorry for voting this lousy lot to power in 1997 but could not bring myself to vote Tory !

I have teen family members who have no chance of affording to rent, let alone by and I think it unfair that they should have to live at home for goodness knows how long.

Sorry for the length of this --------long live HPC!

Guest Winners and Losers

In a previous post I explained that I am a free lance sales agent with over 6000 product lines which are many and various.Most of my retail customers are independent dealers.Bar a very few,all are reporting a downward trend which is really coming into play this year.

Even when I had a sales trip to Ireland last week ,most were saying tjhat trade is poor.Some dealers are saying this is worse than the 90s recession and I have one dealer who says in over 40 years of trading this is the worse he has seen it.

These problems will and are being compounded by rent reviews based on landlords re-valuing there properties and trying,in some cases,to double rents.I am sure that this is the reason that some HPCs who have already mentioned that they are seeing a number of closed shops

As a newbie I should really introduce myself.I am a baby boomer,I have next to no mortgage{I have other problems like crappy investment returnsto which to retireon}BUT I certainly am a bear.I saw the crash which affected me during the 90s.I see the this crazy,out of kilter housing boom and I am very,very angry that this has been allowed to happen.I am sorry for voting this lousy lot to power in 1997 but could not bring myself to vote Tory !

I have teen family members who have no chance of affording to rent, let alone by and I think it unfair that they should have to live at home for goodness knows how long.

We have all been there pobby - let it go, let it go.....

Keep posting and don't lose heart, just yet! :)

Guest muttley

Pobby, I missed your previous post.What sort of things are you promoting?

Pobby, I missed your previous post.What sort of things are you promoting?

I have in my sales portfolio-CCTV,a lot of musical/d.j equipment,toys,lots of small things like electrical cabling,connection leads-really quite a varied collection.

I see the this crazy,out of kilter housing boom and I am very,very angry that this has been allowed to happen.I am sorry for voting this lousy lot to power in 1997 but could not bring myself to vote Tory !

I voted Labour and I feel exactly the same way. At the time I told myself I was never going to vote Tory again. Now I'll vote for just about anyone to get rid of these tossers who are pissing away our future and taking away our liberty.

I voted Labour and I feel exactly the same way. At the time I told myself I was never going to vote Tory again. Now I'll vote for just about anyone to get rid of these tossers who are pissing away our future and taking away our liberty.

Voting for Lab or Con is like drinking Coke or Pepsi - both crap. That's democracy GB.PLC style.

Tories did a lot of things wrong, but one of the things they do right was recovering the economy (after ballsing it up). It amazes me that people say Labour put things on track - this is rubbish.

I have in my sales portfolio-CCTV,a lot of musical/d.j equipment,toys,lots of small things like electrical cabling,connection leads-really quite a varied collection.

Keep posting, it's good to hear exactly what's happening on the ground.

As for CCTV, this could be a booming business, crime goes up in a recession as people lose jobs and find they need money in a hurry.

Tories did a lot of things wrong, but one of the things they do right was recovering the economy (after ballsing it up). It amazes me that people say Labour put things on track - this is rubbish.

I'd agree with that.

The tories might also be a sleazy bunch of self serving wa**ers but at least they managed the economy reasonably well up until labour got into power.

Nu Labour could be summed up by the phrase "live for today". But also add "sod tomorrow".

Guest horace

`The tories might also be a sleazy bunch of self serving wa**ers but at least they managed the economy reasonably well up until labour got into power.`

Do you include `Black Wednesday`? Nice one John balls up Major.

horace

Edited by horace

`The tories might also be a sleazy bunch of self serving wa**ers but at least they managed the economy reasonably well up until labour got into power.`

Do you include `Black Wednesday`? Nice one John balls up Major.

horace

Maybe they are just as bad as each other.One thing is for sure,in my book they have one maim interest at heart------their own.

By the way-----I am in the middle of seting up a fairly large deal on CCTV!

Maybe they are just as bad as each other.One thing is for sure,in my book they have one maim interest at heart------their own.

By the way-----I am in the middle of seting up a fairly large deal on CCTV!

There's no maybe about it. Choosing NuLab or Tory is like choosing to have either your left or right eye gouged-out or a Turkey having to vote for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

To be honest I'd like the Lib Dems to get in just to introduce proportional representation - that'll make it harder for a party with less than 50% of the vote to rule the country.

As realistbear said we get the government we deserve, so I doubt we'll see PR in the near future.

Edited by mustrum_ridcully

Who to vote for?

No question right now... anyone to get nu-liebour out of office.

If I were to really vote for who I wanted in power then I'd vote "none of the above".

People get the government they deserve!

Rubbish. Politicians are lying sh1ts the world over. If you vote for them you are screwed over, if you dont vote for them, they get in anyway by bribery and other devious methods. Democracy, in spite of its lofty aims, is a sack of sh1t in most countries in the world, this one included.

Edited by murpaul

Rubbish. Politicians are lying sh1ts the world over. If you vote for them you are screwed over, if you dont vote for them, they get in anyway by bribery and other devious methods. Democracy, in spite of its lofty aims, is a sack of sh1t in most countries in the world, this one included.

Nopes, more people voted for NuLab than any other party(not true in England as Tories got more votes). Democarcy at work.

There's no maybe about it. Choosing NuLab or Tory is like choosing to have either your left or right eye gouged-out or a Turkey having to vote for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

To be honest I'd like the Lib Dems to get in just to introduce proportional representation - that'll make it harder for a party with less than 50% of the vote to rule the country.

As realistbear said we get the government we deserve, so I doubt we'll see PR in the near future.

Or the Greens. We are facing serious problems, to which the answers are going to get more unpalatable the longer we walk around with our heads up our ar5e5. Better to start doing something about the environment and the sustainability of modern life sooner rather than later.

Oh no, don't say that, he'll start another 20 threads on the same subject just to prove you wrong... :lol:

But its those threads which make HPC worth reading. The other ones.... .. house prices are going down, here is the evidence. Again and again and again. Its boring monitoring the housing market, like watching paint dry. :D:D

Edited by murpaul

UK's membership of the ERM.

Do you include 'Black Wednesday'? Nice one John balls up Major. [horace]

You mean White Wednesday. After George Soros and others set the pound free from the shackles of the ERM the economy made a strong recovery, but it was too late to save the Tories reputation. It was Nigel Lawson with the support of other Europhiles who put the pound into the ERM against the better judgment of Thatcher and her then economic advisor, Alan Walters. This had the effect of first inflating the Lawson boom as interest rates had to be set too low and then greatly exacerbating the 90s' recession as rates had to be kept artificially high in order to stop the pound from dropping out of the ERM's permitted trading range. The Tories are unfairly blamed for the recession -- which was world wide -- but they were to blame for making it much worse in the UK by joining the ERM. While John Major may have been a supporter of the UK's entry into the ERM he was not the key instigator.

So landlords are doubling the rent on shops ..... which forces the shops to close and leave the property empty .....

So landlord ends up with nothing !! Just how dumb are these property companies/chartered surveyors ???

Surely commercial rents have more to do with trading conditions rather than the underlying residential boom ??

So landlords are doubling the rent on shops ..... which forces the shops to close and leave the property empty .....

So landlord ends up with nothing !! Just how dumb are these property companies/chartered surveyors ???

Surely commercial rents have more to do with trading conditions rather than the underlying residential boom ??

Well just as an example, where I work (Parkwest business park in Dublin) a good chunk of the place is empty. We have a retail plaza, again half empty. Used to have a cafe in there, which did a roaring lunch trade - I would have considered it a successful business. Unfortunately, it closed down last autumn (septemberish). The word was they were paying 200K per annum in rent and it was bleeding them dry (as it would, it's 800 per working day and that's a lot of lunches). There's a big sign over there saying the leasehold is available for rent, so far no takers looks like.

Well, people do insist on paying top whack for potty property! Leaves no disposable income to dispose of on the high street.

Well, there is MEW, but its a vicious circle as you end up having to pay yet more cash into Potty Property when the debt has to be repaid............

Yes this is total madness.A customer of mine in Cardiff took a lease on in 2000.Annual rent set @ £7000.in my opinion a fare rent.2005 and the landlord says-----'wow!look how much my property has gone up' and asks for increase of a further£8000.In the end he says 'OK i will let you have one over on me.I will let you get away with a further £7000 increase'!

Yes lots of shops going to close lately. Just because property prices have risen doesnt mean turnover has increased just the same.

A independent card shop in new milton is closing, and a sign in the window says "Closing down End of lease thanks to all our loyal customers". They would only do that to spite the landlord possibly. There is no other stronger reason for closing (unless sales have dropped massivley)

A similar sign also adorns a shop inside the fareham shopping centre. Though I cant remember what the shop was selling.

Edited by notanewmember

Another down turn example!In my job I have to have a few nights away.Now,I really enjoy staying @ a very small pub/hotel in Wales.In fact it is such a great place I am tempted to give it a plug on here but think I may well get into trouble with the moderators!

Over the years I have become friends with the owners{the property is lease hold}.Three weeks ago when I was staying there they told me that 2005s turnover was £750,000 but so far this financial year they were on target for £500,000 only.They were pegging the beer prices to keep the locals coming in but the food side was down as was the accomodation.At £30 a night b and b it offers a good deal.I think this indicates that people are getting scared of what may be around the corner.

I have come across this too. I went for my hair cutting in the pack horse centre in Huddersfield. Chinese lady cuts it. Was talking about the traders that take the centre of the packhorse centre and where they all were this week.

Apparently a new company has taken over the management of the stalls and doubled the rents overnight. Now the only people that can afford to trade there are the sky television touts.

Why do they think they can just double the rents overnight?