House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Water Meters To Become Compulsory

http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,1720752,00.html

The worsening drought in southern England has prompted the government to allow a water company to install compulsory water meters for the first time.

Another item to be removed from the inflation index?

The BBC's take on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4759960.stm

The move to make metering compulsory should help boost house prices throughout the region

Just kidding....

Edited by Realistbear

ahh yes - the great arrid kent and its sandblasted plains.

always short of water that place is. aside from the tonbridge bedouin that still roam the land eeking out a living from stocks, engineering and the like.

drought ? i ask yer.

next they will be telling us there is a shortage of grey miserable weather.

Water is a 100% renewable resource. It's also widely regarded as the next big money making opportunity for the giant multinationals.

Saving water has nothing to do with helping the environment (well, very little) and everything to do with capitalist economics and profit. It is terribly sad that the greens choose to go along with this whilst simultaneously advocating the use of renewable sources for energy etc. A blatant sellout in the name of profit.

Obviously it's different in a desert, but countries like the UK and even many parts of Australia (much of which IS desert) have no shortage of water, only a surplus of people looking to profit from a perceived shortage. Hence they will do anything to create the impression of shortage.

Obviously it's different in a desert, but countries like the UK and even many parts of Australia (much of which IS desert) have no shortage of water, only a surplus of people looking to profit from a perceived shortage. Hence they will do anything to create the impression of shortage.

Yep! Water companies have been taking a note out of the oil companies books, iin my opinion!

If we have water shortage now, whats gonna happen in Summer!!! :o

Water is a 100% renewable resource. It's also widely regarded as the next big money making opportunity for the giant multinationals.

Saving water has nothing to do with helping the environment (well, very little) and everything to do with capitalist economics and profit. It is terribly sad that the greens choose to go along with this whilst simultaneously advocating the use of renewable sources for energy etc. A blatant sellout in the name of profit.

The utility market is just that. Competition exists there and without some sort of cartel your concerns are ill-founded IMO. We have been beating utility salesmen off with a stick for years now.

Although I agree that no one really gives a carp about the environment. I don't but I am honest about it.

You have to sympathise with the Water companies. There are the gas and electricity companies jacking prices up 20%, 30% and 40% and water is just hanging there with no big rises. They simply want a piece of the action and they look like getting some soon.

So much for privatisation of essential services. Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown will be selling off Customs and Excise next!

In any event, the sheeple can just take out another mortgage to pay the higher water charges or use a flexible friend, Gordon will be happy to accomodate with more cheap credit.

Edited by Realistbear

The utility market is just that. Competition exists there and without some sort of cartel your concerns are ill-founded IMO. We have been beating utility salesmen off with a stick for years now.

Although I agree that no one really gives a carp about the environment. I don't but I am honest about it.

I can't remember being offered water by a different supplier (other than of course bottled water).

btp

You have to sympathise with the Water companies. There are the gas and electricity companies jacking prices up 20%, 30% and 40% and water is just hanging there with no big rises. They simply want a piece of the action and they look like getting some soon.

We had a guest worker from Germany who said water metering was common over there. He said that the profit motive of the water providers sets up a vicious circle. i.e. people do try to use less water, hence lower bills, but then water company sees lower profits, therefore they jack up prices! I believe metering is required, but not to pay private companies who are running a tidy monopoly.

All part of the 2% inflation target, a new regressive tax on life. The Victorians would be pissed, they built all these systems as a matter of public good and for good health, now we've being encouraged to bathe in our own swill.

Another reason why new build sucks, horrible little boxes built in horrible locations with horrible little water meters.

A private monopoly is no better than a public utility, this isn't capitalism, not as it should be.

......and this year is shaping up to have the worst drought in 100 years which will be a bonanza for water company profits as they rely on shortages to charge more (just like the gas, oil and electricity people do!).

Nationalisation anybody? The NuTory platform!

Why shouldn't meters be compulsory?

People say water is free, yes it is, so collect rain water and use it to water your garden - plants love rain water it ain't full of the nasties they put in tap water.

Water is free, but sewerage processing costs money.

Why should sensible people who just use water for washing/cooking/sanitation subsidise people who have a swimming pool and wash their cars once a week and water their lawn if they so much as see the sun.

Bring it on I say!

again - lets reflect on the problem and blame the BOOMERS !!!

there the ones who gleefully lapped up the public companies sell off in the thatcher years. for a tidy profit.

now instead of getting a fair and decent national water service we have to also pay for a shareholders profit.

utter muppets.

only the under 40s have the right to complain. anybody of voting age in the 1980s can eat shitake.

like when they complain about the price of trains, bt, gas and electric too.

Guest Winners and Losers

Rainwater collection tank sales will rocket?

This'll be the sensible thing - another stage of trying to get off grid.

In Australia, NSW anyway, we all have water meters and it is compulsory to have a rainwater collection tank for every new house built.

In Australia, NSW anyway, we all have water meters and it is compulsory to have a rainwater collection tank for every new house built.

thats because its very hot and very dry.

we have to do it to escape profiteering.

Guest Winners and Losers

Why shouldn't meters be compulsory?

People say water is free, yes it is, so collect rain water and use it to water your garden - plants love rain water it ain't full of the nasties they put in tap water.

Water is free, but sewerage processing costs money.

Why should sensible people who just use water for washing/cooking/sanitation subsidise people who have a swimming pool and wash their cars once a week and water their lawn if they so much as see the sun.

Bring it on I say!

Gee, you are complaining here! In Oz you can only water your garden between certain hours and on certain days of the week. You are NOT ALLOWED to wash your car at home. If any neighbours seeing you doing any of this, they will more than likely shop you in to the Council. Same goes for golf courses etc etc. These usually have a sign up saying that they are using bore water.

And shareholders want money too.

Of course, they're private companies they're in the business of making money.

SarahBell - this rant ain't aimed at you but the world in general

<super mega ultra rant>

I don't agree with privatised utilities but people wanted their cake* in the 80's, well here it is, now eat, all of it, I don't care that it seems to of gone mouldy now, no I don't care if you're going to be sick or think you might die, you're gonna eat every last crumb :angry: :angry: :angry:

What makes me angry isn't the 20 or 30 somethings who are complaining about this - they didn't have a say in privatisation but have to live with it. It's the people in their 40's, 50's, 60's who voted for all this but are now whinging on about price rises/meters. They wanted the free market well I've got news for them in the free market prices can go up as well as down. But what they just wanted was cheap bills just in the same way they want FTBs to buy expensive houses - they like the free market but only if it works in their favour.

***Steam pouring out of ears***

* Tax cuts, share ownership, cheaper bills...

</super mega ultra rantt>

Of course, they're private companies they're in the business of making money.

SarahBell - this rant ain't aimed at you but the world in general

<super mega ultra rant>

I don't agree with privatised utilities but people wanted their cake* in the 80's, well here it is, now eat, all of it, I don't care that it seems to of gone mouldy now, no I don't care if you're going to be sick or think you might die, you're gonna eat every last crumb :angry: :angry: :angry:

What makes me angry isn't the 20 or 30 somethings who are complaining about this - they didn't have a say in privatisation but have to live with it. It's the people in their 40's, 50's, 60's who voted for all this but are now whinging on about price rises/meters. They wanted the free market well I've got news for them in the free market prices can go up as well as down. But what they just wanted was cheap bills just in the same way they want FTBs to buy expensive houses - they like the free market but only if it works in their favour.

***Steam pouring out of ears***

* Tax cuts, share ownership, cheaper bills...

</super mega ultra rantt>

I am in favour of privitisation for businesses that do not provide essential services to include: water, electricity/gas, Customs & Excise (I think I read Labour are going to start contracting this service out?), prisons, armed forces, police, civil service, health services (with an option for private as we have now), education (with room for private as an option). Perhaps water, above all the others, should never be privitised as it is the most valuable assett there is. Lack it and you die.

I am in favour of privitisation for businesses that do not provide essential services to include: water, electricity/gas, Customs & Excise (I think I read Labour are going to start contracting this service out?), prisons, armed forces, police, civil service, health services (with an option for private as we have now), education (with room for private as an option). Perhaps water, above all the others, should never be privitised as it is the most valuable assett there is. Lack it and you die.

Agree totally. I've no problems with other sell-off that the Tories did, British Airways, Jaguar, BT, BAe... But other stuff does smack of selling off the family silver.

yeah. no matter how we bitch about nulab, the tories were the dogs of the uk.

were still paying the price today with 25% gas bill rises, water, social divisions and lack of council homes.

yeah. no matter how we bitch about nulab, the tories were the dogs of the uk.

were still paying the price today with 25% gas bill rises, water, social divisions and lack of council homes.

What surprises me is the extremism of NuLabour--privatising or outsourcing Customs & Exise? Did they privatise the Prison Service and the Post Office?

Could you expand on this a bit?

Water is renewable indeed. However, most water is "contaminated" with salt since it is in the seas. The bit which isn't (rivers, aquifers, reservoirs) are a limited resource in the sense that if you take out more than nature puts in, they run out (but there's a bit more water in the seas). Which isn't very good,

Peter.

Did they privatise the Prison Service and the Post Office?

probably. how else could they get the swing they needed. they had to win the sharks teeth. and they still keep feeding the sharks a diet of working class food. only loans not hours.