House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Water Bills & Meters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4759960.stm

Folkestone and Dover Water applied for "water scarcity status" because of the major drought currently affecting the South East.

How do water meters affect house prices?

I've read lots of horror stories how the first years bill on a meter is fine but they put them up after the expiry period on getting it removed.

Is the water shortage due to poor planning? They must have loads of people paying water bills in the SE cos of the density of population so why haven't they spent some of the money building new resevoirs etc.

makes me laugh that a country with massive amounts of rain has a water shortage in spring.

plus a property shortage in the 4th largest economy with a 93% open land.

not bad for a 50% general tax on overall income.

oh - and try to find a nhs dentist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4759960.stm

How do water meters affect house prices?

I've read lots of horror stories how the first years bill on a meter is fine but they put them up after the expiry period on getting it removed.

That's a lie. Water prices are dictated by OFWAT and this does not happen.

An unmetered property uses about 2-3 times as much water as a metered one (usually because unmeterd properties tend to have more people living in them - but still a lot more per person)

If every property was metered then there would probably not be a water shortage due to people cutting back on usage when they know they have to pay for every drop they use.

I expect the horror stories you hear are down to people switching to a meter and the water company completely underestimating their water usage in the first year and then making the cost back in the second. That is why you should submit your own meter readings online!!

makes me laugh that a country with massive amounts of rain has a water shortage in spring.

plus a property shortage in the 4th largest economy with a 93% open land.

not bad for a 50% general tax on overall income.

oh - and try to find a nhs dentist.

Apparently the South East gets less annual rainfall than parts of the Sahara.

Parts of the UK have had well below average rainfall, I live in a normally rainy city and I've noticed that it has not been as rainy as usual.

Yes the water companies ARE to blame for about 20% of water leakages - but to upgrade the water distribution network they have to charge Joe Public, but Joe Public doesn't want to pay. Ah yes the lovely we want but we won't pay for it British public.

That's a lie. Water prices are dictated by OFWAT and this does not happen.

An unmetered property uses about 2-3 times as much water as a metered one (usually because unmeterd properties tend to have more people living in them - but still a lot more per person)

If every property was metered then there would probably not be a water shortage due to people cutting back on usage when they know they have to pay for every drop they use.

I am a water meter convert.

My last rented place (2 bed detached) had a water meter and I

was paying £7-£8 a month. My current rented place (2 bed flat)

is not metered and my monthly payment is over £24 - probably the

same as the family of 6 living next door.

Strikes me that yet again, single people subsidise families.

I'm trying to persuade my landlord to authorise a water meter here but

he's afraid it will put off future tenants.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

In the 80s when Water Utilities were still in Public Ownership I was told by a Manager that the water rate was a charge for collecting, treating, and pumping to the premises. The actual water was free. ;)