House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Frenzied "get Anything You Can" Buying In Ireland

http://www.housefund.co.uk/news/2006/02/ir...y-out-250k.html

Figures from PermanentTSB and ESRI in Ireland have showed that the average price of a house for first-time buyers passed the 250k euro mark for the first time in January.
According to the Permanent TSB/ESRI house price index, house prices rose by 1.2% in January, similar to the increases recorded in the final three months of 2005.
Annual rate of growth during the month also increased from 9.3% in December to 10.2%.
Permanent TSB's Niall O'Grady said that the figures were consistent with its
forecast of 10% house price growth for 2006.

It would appear that with OZ, US and UK markets going down Ireland stands alone in the HPI stakes?

http://www.housefund.co.uk/news/2006/02/ir...y-out-250k.html

Figures from PermanentTSB and ESRI in Ireland have showed that the average price of a house for first-time buyers passed the 250k euro mark for the first time in January.
According to the Permanent TSB/ESRI house price index, house prices rose by 1.2% in January, similar to the increases recorded in the final three months of 2005.
Annual rate of growth during the month also increased from 9.3% in December to 10.2%.
Permanent TSB's Niall O'Grady said that the figures were consistent with its
forecast of 10% house price growth for 2006.

It would appear that with OZ, US and UK markets going down Ireland stands alone in the HPI stakes?

That is very frightening indeed- 250k - jaysus as the irish say!

its really, really stupid. i cant see why no-one has spotted that yet.

whats so good about this ? this isnt good news for the irish to be pleased about.

its self extortion. the irish feeding off each other.

what do they get from it ?

why, the very same houses they were going to get anyway - only for 3x the price ???

stereotyping anyone ?

All that extra money in Ireland is also fuelling increases in fag buying:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/01/story247063.html

Silk Cut maker Gallaher lifted annual profits by 2% today but warned the tough conditions impacting its European division were likely to continue.
However, the group said the total cigarette market in Ireland increased by 1.8%

Or, could the Irish be getting worried that the world's most expensive housing market cannot last given that it is built on speculation and borrowed money?

All that extra money in Ireland is also fuelling increases in fag buying:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/01/story247063.html

Silk Cut maker Gallaher lifted annual profits by 2% today but warned the tough conditions impacting its European division were likely to continue.
However, the group said the total cigarette market in Ireland increased by 1.8%

Or, could the Irish be getting worried that the world's most expensive housing market cannot last given that it is built on speculation and borrowed money?

They must be really worried given that you can't smoke in the pub.....I would have thought the ban would reduce smoking, but the al fresco alternative has some serious confounding factors at play.

The stress of a massive mortgage, or the stress of not being "on the ladder", depending on which side of the fence you are on....

I've said it before and I'll say it again - last year I went to Ireland and was mystified as to how the housing market works. All the papers in Cork were banging on about housing shortages, whilst masses of little bright coloured houses were being built miles away from anywhere, way out in the country. I still don't understand who those houses were supposed to be for.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - last year I went to Ireland and was mystified as to how the housing market works. All the papers in Cork were banging on about housing shortages, whilst masses of little bright coloured houses were being built miles away from anywhere, way out in the country. I still don't understand who those houses were supposed to be for.

I think those are probably an artefact of a silly tax avoidance thing aimed at getting more houses built in holiday areas. And a corrupt planning system.

I think those are probably an artefact of a silly tax avoidance thing aimed at getting more houses built in holiday areas. And a corrupt planning system.

That would make sense...the entire economy of the place seemed to based on tourism. Is that the way Britain will go?