House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Us Markets Shaky On House Data...

The US markets are plummetting today after new home sales were reported to be down 2.8% and various other economical factors sent a shivver through Wall Street. The UK is heading down with it. Could the bubble be splitting?

Clicky

Pound is doing well though!

Sea of Green

So why is the pound so strong with all this talk of IR rises in US/EU/Japan ??

Lien said the dollar sold off against the euro and the British pound as European currencies were lifted by the better economic numbers from Europe.

"We had a really nice improvement in German employment data and we had a good French consumer confidence [report]," she said. "Those numbers sort of overshadowed the in-line numbers we had in the U.S."

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&ar...&action=article

Pound is doing well though!

Sea of Green

So why is the pound so strong with all this talk of IR rises in US/EU/Japan ??

I have the same question.

I opened a Bullbearings account to have a play with Forex. I shorted on Sterling against the Dollar anticipating it to slide with IRs around the globe increasing. I guess the thing I didn't add into the equation is how the dollar will do with all of the other variables about.

Of course that doesn't answer Sterling rising today.

Seems to me almost impossible to call the FX markets :ph34r: Everytime the £ looks about to take a sharp downturn against the $ a 'rebound' seems to take place :angry:

Longterm I still think (FWIW) that the $ will appreciate against the £ & end the year at around $1.60 or so.

The reason I think this is that a lot of 'Skeletons' will come rattling out of the UK economy as the so called 'economic miracle' falls apart .

Seems to me almost impossible to call the FX markets :ph34r: Everytime the £ looks about to take a sharp downturn against the $ a 'rebound' seems to take place :angry:

There's lots of intervention, same with the gold markets, one can only imagine the levels of the latter despite the up hill battle.

I the latest FED interest rate decision due early in MArch? I never know when they are about to decide. It never seems like a fixed cycle.

Longterm I still think (FWIW) that the $ will appreciate against the £ & end the year at around $1.60 or so.

The reason I think this is that a lot of 'Skeletons' will come rattling out of the UK economy as the so called 'economic miracle' falls apart .

My sentiment exactly. Brown's mess has not been fully appreciated by the markets yet although they are beginning to question whether the "miracle" has any legs left. The historic level for the pound over the past decade is in the 1.60's and that may be a little high given the UK's sliding GDP, HPC, employment slump and retail figures.