House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

C & W Slash 3000 Jobs

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2062010,00.html

C&W slashes 3,000 jobs in strategic overhaul
By Miles Costello
Beleaguered telecoms firm Cable & Wireless plans to lay off as many as 3,000 staff as it embarks on a dramatic transformation plan that will see it jettison 90 per cent of its customers and concentrate on big-ticket corporate sales.

The VIs constantly claim low IR and high employment is underpinning inflation in the housing market. It would appear that the underpinning is being eroded quite dramatically as world IR rise and jobs are lost.

HPC 2006.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2062010,00.html

C&W slashes 3,000 jobs in strategic overhaul
By Miles Costello
Beleaguered telecoms firm Cable & Wireless plans to lay off as many as 3,000 staff as it embarks on a dramatic transformation plan that will see it jettison 90 per cent of its customers and concentrate on big-ticket corporate sales.

The VIs constantly claim low IR and high employment is underpinning inflation in the housing market. It would appear that the underpinning is being eroded quite dramatically as world IR rise and jobs are lost.

HPC 2006.

You see dramatic erosion.

I see a healthy reallocation of productive resources.

could you please explain that to me ? do you mean BT is going to take them all ?

In my industry we've been shutting down trainbuilding factories in the UK for years. Now there's only one left, and that's reasonably efficient. Everytime it happens there's handwringing, wailing and general gnashing of teeth but before long the land (and often the buildings) and by-and-large the people find new productive roles. Who remembers or cares much now about Swindon's historic trainbuilding facilities? Or close to my own heart, York's? The UK economy has been exceptionally good at reabsorbing and regenerating sunset industries.

By contrast France and Germany both retain dozens of unprofitable trainbuilding factories. They can't survive forever.

I don't diminish the anguish the transition can cause to the people concerned, but for the economy as a whole it is a vital and age-old process - and C&W is no different, as the new CEO says it's a shitty industry they're in.

the new CEO says it's a shitty industry they're in.

The UK Managing Director of Cable and Wireless has just enquired about getting a brand new £80k daimler from me about an hour ago!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

In my industry we've been shutting down trainbuilding factories in the UK for years. Now there's only one left, and that's reasonably efficient. Everytime it happens there's handwringing, wailing and general gnashing of teeth but before long the land (and often the buildings) and by-and-large the people find new productive roles. Who remembers or cares much now about Swindon's historic trainbuilding facilities? Or close to my own heart, York's? The UK economy has been exceptionally good at reabsorbing and regenerating sunset industries.

By contrast France and Germany both retain dozens of unprofitable trainbuilding factories. They can't survive forever.

I don't diminish the anguish the transition can cause to the people concerned, but for the economy as a whole it is a vital and age-old process - and C&W is no different, as the new CEO says it's a shitty industry they're in.

Trouble is, there isn't an obvious thing for people in this country to transition into. We can't all make sandwiches for each other you know.

HPC 2006.

Underpinning is futile if the foundations are built on quicksand

Absolutely, we are in the Brown miracle era, there are plenty of highly paid opportunities for all of these workers in the public sector which is crying out for more staff.

Seriously though...

I agree the rise and fall of industries and sectors is a natual consequence of progression: agriculture, mining, steel, manufacturing, services.

Also no point in keeping people in non-jobs.

But....

With everything getting offshored these days in IT/Tech service sector what exactly is going to be the next big job creator. It's these big private job creators that through taxation can then keep the other public workers in employment. :huh:

Edited by BTLOptingOut

Absolutely, we are in the Brown miracle era, there are plenty of highly paid opportunities for all of these workers in the public sector which is crying out for more staff.

Seriously though...

I agree the rise and fall of industries and sectors is a natual consequence of progression: agriculture, mining, steel, manufacturing, services.

Also no point in keeping people in non-jobs.

But....

With everything getting offshored these days in IT/Tech service sector what exactly is going to be the next big job creator. It's these big private job creators that through taxation can then keep the other public workers in employment. :huh:

Well it ain't building trains by the look it!

Well it ain't building trains by the look it!

Used to work for Energis a company based in Reading that C&W took over last year

most of the 3000 job losses will be in Reading and at C&W UK headquarters in Bracknell.