House Price Crash Forum

Mfi Axeing Almost 1500 Jobs

ICTOA

HOLA441

Stores to shut, jobs cut as MFI battles (www.thisismoney.co.uk)

TROUBLED furniture giant MFI is axeing almost 1500 jobs - one in eight - as part of a sweeping restructuring aimed at stemming losses.

New chief executive Matthew Ingle today said he would close 11 MFI stores, outsource more manufacturing overseas and unwind the integration of its three core divisions - retail, trade (Howden Joinery) and manufacturing.

HOLA442

Come on you landlords, get out there and spend your money, the economy needs you, you are not consuming enough - nowhere near as much as FTB's and OO's would consume, or don't you want the economy to thrive? Better start spending soon or you know what the result will be. :ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Anyone know which stores are closing? We are just about to buy a new kitchen & I'm hoping it's not going to be our local one.

They're going to be having big sales so your timing might be pretty good. Having said that, I have no idea how good/bad their kitchens are.

HOLA448
HOLA449

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/r...-name_page.html

PETERHEAD JOBS BLOW AFTER B AND Q TRIMS COSTS

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

Be the first reader to comment on this story

JAMIE BUCHAN

09:00 - 28 February 2006

Britain's biggest DIY retailer has axed jobs at its newest north-east store - just weeks after trading began.

The arrival of a £5million B &Q warehouse outlet at Peterhead was heralded as a shot in the arm for the local economy and saw more than 1,700 people apply for just over 100 jobs.

But redundancies were made within three months of the store opening its doors, it emerged yesterday.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/r...-name_page.html

236 Kiwk Save jobs axed Feb 28 2006

By Hywel Trewyn, Daily Post

HUNDREDS of Welsh Kwik Save workers lost their jobs yesterday after 25 stores were axed.

Ooo ek. One of those closing is in my home town of Mold. That place has been there for as long as I can remember, some 20 years ago we used to shop there all the time.

HOLA4414
In 40 years we'll all be selling nick-nacks to wealthy Chinese tourists.

too true....

ive planned ahead with my manchurian range of bone china british bulldog piggy banks.

names are 'worthy dog' vested dragon' and lee-pikey.

plus i also have some chan branded t-shirts. its going to be the coolest brand in the whole eastern bloc. forget howard jones and the other chinese contemporary music styles. this is it.

combine that with the devilishly witty chinese sense of humour.

ill sell enough to retire in crafty dorset.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There are other companies are taking on people, though. It just doesn't get reported so much.

Other companies plan to take on staff over an period of months or years, I don't report these in the blog as the economy at present could change these plans overnight. HBOS today announced many new branches to open over the next few years , but if HBOS have to write off any more bad debt this could change their plans. I think we are correct in reporting job cuts in the blog as these are imminent but job creations only if they occur now or over a few months. Long term reporting is pointless in the current climate.

Thats my view anyway.

HOLA4418

Just had to mention on the subject of the B&Q in Peterhead.

I went when it first opened.

Bought my stuff, unloaded it into the car and realised the bill was wrong.

Went back in and they said I had to bring all the stuff back in.

Unloaded the car and they sent me to refunds.

The girl at refunds had to scan all the stuff again, which she did, but she did wrong, so I had to do it all again.

Then I had to go back to checkout and take all the stuff off the trolley and put it through again.

Then I had to go and put all the stuff back in the car.

Four bluddy times I had that stuff go through a checkout. Big/heavy/awkward items.

Not a "By your leave," "kick my backside," or, "sorry" in sight.

Am I going back? No.

Never mind what the store looks like - staff training in places like this needs to be improved.

Managers are poorly employed based on theorical experience and sucking up capabilities. They employ poor floor workers cos they don't know any different. Then they all lose their jobs.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm not convinced that MFI closing down stores is that much of a sign of the economy. I tried to buy furniture from them when I moved. All the smaller bed stores were prepared to deliver whatever I bought in a day or two. The MFI droid told me in a "you'll like this" voice that they could guarantee delivery within two weeks! Didn't seem surprised when I told him that was a deal breaker. Bought from a small shop just up the (Narborough) road.

Billy Shears