House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
karhu

Now We Know Why A S D A Can Take On New Staff

First we see this (21st Feb):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4734814.stm

Asda to take on 7,000 staff in UK

Supermarket group Asda is to take on 7,000 staff across the UK this year, owner Wal-Mart has said.

Asda needs the staff to work at the 25 new stores it plans to open, as well as to boost staffing levels at five sites it is pumping extra investment into.

Now we see this (27th Feb):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/4756740.stm

Asda workers balloted over strike

Workers at more than 20 Asda depots are to balloted for strike action in a dispute over pay and conditions.

The GMB union said voting will go ahead in depots across the country including, Bedford, Bracknell, Falkirk, Wigan, Kettering, Bristol and Wakefield.

The union said the dispute centres on a "litany" of problems over conditions, pay and collective bargaining rights.

Twenty one depots will be balloted and it is thought a strike could affect supplies to about 300 stores.

Time to raise salaries, time to increase grocery prices, time to increase inflation, time to raise interest rates.

First we see this (21st Feb):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4734814.stm

Now we see this (27th Feb):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/4756740.stm

Time to raise salaries, time to increase grocery prices, time to increase inflation, time to raise interest rates.

I know somone who works for Asda, not at all happy since Walmart took over, especially when they cancelled the xmas parties :o

I know somone who works for Asda, not at all happy since Walmart took over, especially when they cancelled the xmas parties :o

Yup, this is the 3rd time I've worked for them (Hubbys job and sprog being the reason) and things have definately changed. Even in the 'boom years' of the last year or so, things have been tightened up quite a lot.

Not sure any comparison can be drawn, the new staff are for the stores, but striking staff are in the supply chain and are probably contracted through a third party. Not sure if ASDA do their own logistics.

Not sure any comparison can be drawn, the new staff are for the stores, but striking staff are in the supply chain and are probably contracted through a third party. Not sure if ASDA do their own logistics.

If by logistics, you mean delivery drivers etc....then, yes, they're all colleagues too.

How can contract workers strike?

Asda isn't the perfect place to work but it's not THAT bad either.

I can sympathise though, since Wal Mart took over we're expected to do more work with less staff and take more money by selling stuff cheaper.

The managers in my store do their best to help though But I know that isn't the case in all stores.