House Price Crash Forum

Very Bullish Headlines Today

HOLA441

This is Money: "Homes shortage boosts prices"

The Times: "House price recovery continues"

Guardian: "Strong property performance stems rate cut hopes"

These are the headlines from the "news blog" at top of HPC page.

This is the news general Joe Public is reading today.......

Anyone surprised by these very bullish headlines and the supposed strength of the market in the South at this time?

And i know some of you will say 'how can there be any buyers. No one can afford these prices"

Yet, even on this forum, many members speak of family/friends/acquaintances who are buying....even though members may have expressed their bearish concerns. People are getting mortgages and they are still buying it appears.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

The scenery is collapsing around them - these are desperate terror tactics to ensnare the last FTB.

for heaven's sake - they can't start the crash until we're all 'in' can they? Stop being so selfish - thinking that you're soooo clever and can avoid destitition by 'oooh not buying'. Too good for financial ruin are you?

Sorry your have confused me??

i was drawing attention to todays newspapers - i did not print/write this news ....

and as someone who purchased last year....i am not not sure of your point.

IMO you can be never be sure of anything in life....lost my job last time and could again......

HOLA444

Although everyone would like to see signs of the crash, it does not seem to be happening at the moment. Our experiences with selling our property was a constant flow of viewing followed by several offers. We were really surprised and my other half is furious with me that we should have asked a higher price. Too much lurking on this site perhaps?

HOLA445

Its interesting especially when you consider Persimmon posted some above expected profits today, and all the other house builders are still making excellent profits also.

Couple this with the fact that the house builders near me are still actively seeking land for there 'Land bank', it does tend to indicate people are still buying property.

Some things in life don't change; people have children and need more space, others are aspirational and wish a better quality of home, and others still trust the housing market as a place to put there salary over any other, including the stock market. Hence why demand, certainly here, is still very healthy.

Another poster today commented on the affordability/unaffordability of certain things, the famous £30 DVD player opposed to the rising mortgage costs. So in effect, people aren't worse of, its just a re-jig of the debt?

Edited by billy-g

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes, I'm going to buy. NOT.

Please don't. Its your money, and your more than free to do with it as you please. As is everybody else in the UK. The fact is, no matter how its spun, people are still finding the money to buy, indicating that you may see a plateau, but not a crash IMHO.

As always, I can only speak for my area, but around here property was silly cheap about 8/9 years ago and has seen a correction alright, a correction to more realistic (upwards) values.

As for the repossession statistics that are getting trotted out; a few thousand out of however many million households in the UK is damned slim evidence that any sort of 'crash' has begun.

Edited by billy-g

HOLA448

Although everyone would like to see signs of the crash, it does not seem to be happening at the moment. Our experiences with selling our property was a constant flow of viewing followed by several offers. We were really surprised and my other half is furious with me that we should have asked a higher price. Too much lurking on this site perhaps?

yes just because people so want a HPC does not mean it will happen all over UK, across all properties types, at the same time. In London i see great houses/flats in good location selling. i hear from friends etc, like yourself who sold EASILY...I READ about members on this site who are buying......??

I can be called a liar, whatever.....

i also see too many overpriced new build shoe boxes, that i would not touch with a barge pole...which like the latest fashions (clothing) can date quickly and look naff.

IMO don't think it is as simplistic as "i'm a bull....you're a bear."

HOLA449

It never is as simple as "your a bull, I'm a bear", is it?

I see homes snapped up that I think are overpriced rubbish, but someone loves them. Its like the 'Executive' 2 bed flats that are everywhere, I wouldnt go near them (neither would many others right now it seems)

However, good quality family homes, those are selling very well, and will continue, I think, to do so.

HOLA4410

Even though we are going through al the survey/mortgage rigmarole, I am still getting phone calls from the other agent every other day to find out if their buyer can have the property. It doesn't feel like a crash to me. Similarly with buying our new place we couldn't get much off the asking price. The vendor just refused to budge.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Even though we are going through al the survey/mortgage rigmarole, I am still getting phone calls from the other agent every other day to find out if their buyer can have the property. It doesn't feel like a crash to me. Similarly with buying our new place we couldn't get much off the asking price. The vendor just refused to budge.

Easy Tiger. Writing that sort of thing will have the "troll, awooga" thing going on :P

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Going manic in certain suburbs of london, a small workers cottage near me SE1 just went for 390k , full asking price less than a week and half on the market. None of them had ever topped 350k on their best day, cost to you in 1991 in their derilict state £2,000....i kid not.

Seeing lots of under offers on rightmove in certain suburbs / price ranges.

Edited by mercsl

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

There will be a crash, it's just when !!

Theres still life in the market yet. With builders offering "move in for £99 offers" and people over extending themselves further, people will still buy.

It'll only happen when forced selling gets underway.

FH

Edited by flash harry

HOLA4417

And in March 1945 German Newspapers stated "we are winning the war, German Victory imminent"

;)

my question was "will these kind of headlines attract those watching and waiting". People even on this forum are buying/talking of buying?? And they are the informed ones. your thoughts please on that?

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Whats going to bring about forced selling then?

Interest rates are still reasonable, and people will bin other luxuries before they bin a house. Might be a good time to pick up a second hand Chelsea tractor, and the travel agents might not sell many holidays in the £3k range (the most common amongst the 25-40 middle classes apparently) but theres a long long way to go before forced selling becomes a reality.

Also, if you have children under a certain age, you cant be made up sticks and go. i dont believe that was the case 15 years ago.

Edited by billy-g

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This is typical of most people using this site anyway...not allowing a positive/favourable opinion on the housing market.

I wonder why 'hearing this for years' is surprised...

Anyway, I do agree that the market is not showing any signs of collapsing in london...and is not likely to unless the interest rates go up bu at least 1-2% (i.e., at least another couple of years)

HOLA4424

Please don't. Its your money, and your more than free to do with it as you please. As is everybody else in the UK. The fact is, no matter how its spun, people are still finding the money to buy, indicating that you may see a plateau, but not a crash IMHO.

As always, I can only speak for my area, but around here property was silly cheap about 8/9 years ago and has seen a correction alright, a correction to more realistic (upwards) values.

As for the repossession statistics that are getting trotted out; a few thousand out of however many million households in the UK is damned slim evidence that any sort of 'crash' has begun.

That people are still finding the money to buy and wish to buy means it's unlikely that we'll have a crash within a month or two, but how does it support a plateau? How long do you think this plateau can last?

Billy Shears

HOLA4425

and now the pathetic back slapping......the bully girls will be out next to threaten and abuse...........zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just trying to keep this wonderful thread on the first page for others to read. I am not clever enough to counter such profound economic arguments as "newspapers will prevent a crash" and "the uk really isn't in debt". All I can do is laugh at the jokes, let me have my fun :lol::lol::lol: