Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Winners and Losers

Chapletown, Leeds

Recommended Posts

Guest Winners and Losers

Hi all

Just doing some research on the Chapletown area of Leeds. Seems quite cheap, but are prices still over inflated? Does anyone know about prices in the area? Are houses selling fast? On Rightmove I saw a terrace that had been bought in 2003 for £26,000 and sold in 2005 for £115,000!! That must have been a big renovation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

Just doing some research on the Chapletown area of Leeds. Seems quite cheap, but are prices still over inflated? Does anyone know about prices in the area? Are houses selling fast? On Rightmove I saw a terrace that had been bought in 2003 for £26,000 and sold in 2005 for £115,000!! That must have been a big renovation!

Which idiot in their right mind would live in one of the worst areas in the country? Only reason I can see for prices increasing is if its one of those target towns and has money thrown at it for regeneration.

The main highlights of chapeltown are the drugs and prostitutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

Just doing some research on the Chapletown area of Leeds. Seems quite cheap, but are prices still over inflated? Does anyone know about prices in the area? Are houses selling fast? On Rightmove I saw a terrace that had been bought in 2003 for £26,000 and sold in 2005 for £115,000!! That must have been a big renovation!

My grandparents lived in Chapeltown in the 20's/30's. It was poor then but now it is a rough Asian ghetto (sorry, but it is!).

Edited by Scooter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Winners and Losers

Thought as much, though apparently they are 'regenerating'. Spoke to an EA today about a property (not in a position to buy, just sussing it out). Anyway, I just happened to mention that I was concerned that prices might go down in the near future. Talk about red rag to a bull, he nearly had a fit - poor love. Virtually hung up on me at the end of the call. He tried to compare it to 'Brixton', "look how much prices have gone up in Brixton" he said. I said, yes, I owned a property in Brixton and high prices or not, it is still not a nice place to live. Then, the wise one said "but you get all the FTB's who can't afford to buy in better areas buying in these places and that makes the prices go up". I, the ignorant one, countered with "FTB's can buy at the moment anywhere". The wise one spluttered and splattered, flustered and flabbered. Maybe I should offer full asking price? He then rudely ended the conversation abruptly. Good thing I was not a 'real' buyer or I might have thought twice about buying a property through them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapeltown is underestimated IMO and is nowhere near as bad as the consensus would have it.

Yeah, it's fairly grotty, but it's a long way from the worst ghetto in Leeds and there are one or two nice patches.

But yeah, it's WELL overpriced at the moment - but does anyone know any part of the UK that isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Winners and Losers

Chapeltown is underestimated IMO and is nowhere near as bad as the consensus would have it.

Yeah, it's fairly grotty, but it's a long way from the worst ghetto in Leeds and there are one or two nice patches.

But yeah, it's WELL overpriced at the moment - but does anyone know any part of the UK that isn't?

Well that is what I thought. I mean, can it be worse than Brixton in 1995? I'm sure that I personally would not find it that bad. I'm tough, I can handle it. What do you reckon to a 5 bed terrace for 100k or 6 bed for 150k? OTT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that is what I thought. I mean, can it be worse than Brixton in 1995? I'm sure that I personally would not find it that bad. I'm tough, I can handle it. What do you reckon to a 5 bed terrace for 100k or 6 bed for 150k? OTT?

hmm well that actually sounds rather reasonable in the current scheme of things! If they're up the nicer end then I'd almost be tempted to say they represent decent value.

But I am equally aware that these prices could halve in the next 5 years.

It very much depends on local circumstances. Some of the houses are lovely and so are 90% of the residents. You just need to avoid the other 10%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Winners and Losers

hmm well that actually sounds rather reasonable in the current scheme of things! If they're up the nicer end then I'd almost be tempted to say they represent decent value.

But I am equally aware that these prices could halve in the next 5 years.

It very much depends on local circumstances. Some of the houses are lovely and so are 90% of the residents. You just need to avoid the other 10%

Thanks FP - what is the 'nicer' end. I bet these properties don't fit into that category!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks FP - what is the 'nicer' end. I bet these properties don't fit into that category!

top (Chapel Allerton) end of Chapeltown Road is ok - some of the streets off there are perfectly reasonable (St Martins, St Mary's IIRC). For real bohemian chic, the old palaces around Potternewton Park and up Harehills Avenue/thereabouts are quite splendid, if sometimes delapidated.

are there specific things you are looking at? I can gladly give you a lowdown on the scumbag:decent neighbour ratio for each street if you like - PM if you prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Winners and Losers

top (Chapel Allerton) end of Chapeltown Road is ok - some of the streets off there are perfectly reasonable (St Martins, St Mary's IIRC). For real bohemian chic, the old palaces around Potternewton Park and up Harehills Avenue/thereabouts are quite splendid, if sometimes delapidated.

are there specific things you are looking at? I can gladly give you a lowdown on the scumbag:decent neighbour ratio for each street if you like - PM if you prefer.

Hi FP - just researching. Not going to buy now (would have to be crazy, deluded or both!). Saw a place on Mexborough Ave - but don't know the area at all. Two cab drivers today told me not to touch Chapeltown with a barge pole. They say that they refuse to pick up from certain parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi FP - just researching. Not going to buy now (would have to be crazy, deluded or both!). Saw a place on Mexborough Ave - but don't know the area at all. Two cab drivers today told me not to touch Chapeltown with a barge pole. They say that they refuse to pick up from certain parts.

yeah the Mexborough's are a bit ropey - on a street-by-street analysis it can be tricky as they are in a state of constant flux. Mexborough Avenue may be ok this year but then one of the neighbours marries a Yardie for cash to get them in the country and... there goes the neighbourhood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Winners and Losers

yeah the Mexborough's are a bit ropey - on a street-by-street analysis it can be tricky as they are in a state of constant flux. Mexborough Avenue may be ok this year but then one of the neighbours marries a Yardie for cash to get them in the country and... there goes the neighbourhood!

:lol::lol:

No surprises, there is a reason the properties are cheap! Thanks, it's good to have the low down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

Just doing some research on the Chapletown area of Leeds. Seems quite cheap, but are prices still over inflated? Does anyone know about prices in the area? Are houses selling fast? On Rightmove I saw a terrace that had been bought in 2003 for £26,000 and sold in 2005 for £115,000!! That must have been a big renovation!

Don't do it.

I've heard news stories of them 'reclaiming' the neighbourhoods especially last year they cleared quite a few crack houses. Until there is real evidence that it is improving I would steer well clear.

So yes, they are overinflated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid round Chapletown rd as loads of smackheads but Chapeltown side nearer to Harehills is okay. I know someone who bought one of those beautiful old 5 bedroom terraces on Spencer place 7 years ago for about 20k. That was when there was still a few prostitutes lurking around now there don't seem to be any. Chapeltowns just got a bad rep. There are plenty of worse areas in Leeds, like some bits of Beeston full of feral kids who will set fire to your bin yard, pee on your doorstep and throw fire works at pets...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 301 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.