House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blek

Looking To Buy A Car

I'm in the market for a new car. Brother recommends his friends garage where I'll be able to get a good deal (i.e at auction prices).

So I'm there and because of the freezing cold can't be arsed to view the cars, so instead we're just chatting about the car market. In walk two ladies looking to part ex on a car. I just had to shake my head at what I heard next.

One of the ladies had bought the car last year for 11k on finance over 5 years which would resulted on her paying a total of approx 18k after the full term. She also has a mortgage and is struggling with re-payments, hense she wants to downsize her car. The problem is, no one will part ex her car as it has outstanding finance, and she can't afford to pay it off. Now check this out. The salesman does a check with Glass' Guide and the car is only actually worth 6k and thats the forecourt price not the trade in price. So in a year she has lost over 5k and still owes the finance company. The salesman offered her 4k for the car and the look on her face was incredulous. He explained to her that if you bough a car from places such as Carcraft you were asking for trouble as its all finance based and they inflate the asking price. He said his forecourt price for that car last year would have been maybe 8k, with a trade in value of 6k.

But the next line was a killer.

She turns to her friend and says "I need to invest in another house so I can make my money back".

WTF. So you're in debt, just been screwed over with one bad investment, struggling with mortgage repayments, and you think the solution is to buy another house?!

Un-******ing believable.

Edited by Mr Blek

I'm in the market for a new car. Brother recommends his friends garage where I'll be able to get a good deal (i.e at auction prices).

So I'm there and because of the freezing cold can't be arsed to view the cars, so instead we're just chatting about the car market. In walk two ladies looking to part ex on a car. I just had to shake my head at what I heard next.

One of the ladies had bought the car last year for 11k on finance over 5 years which would resulted on her paying a total of approx 18k after the full term. She also has a mortgage and is struggling with re-payments, hense she wants to downsize her car. The problem is, no one will part ex her car as it has outstanding finance, and she can't afford to pay it off. Now check this out. The salesman does a check with Glass' Guide and the car is only actually worth 6k and thats the forecourt price not the trade in price. So in a year she has lost over 5k and still owes the finance company. The salesman offered her 4k for the car and the look on her face was incredulous. He explained to her that if you bough a car from places such as Carcraft you were asking for trouble as its all finance based and they inflate the asking price. He said his forecourt price for that car last year would have been maybe 8k, with a trade in value of 6k.

But the next line was a killer.

She turns to her friend and says "I need to invest in another house so I can make my money back".

WTF. So you're in debt, just been screwed over with one bad investment, struggling with mortgage repayments, and you think the solution is to buy another house?!

Un-******ing believable.

If this is true it is indeed utter fukin madness! What is this country coming to? :(:(:(:(

A colleague at work got on the verge of shirtiness when I stated (factually correctly) that asking prices in my local area had not risen in eighteen months.

Take the blue pill; stay in wonderland...

good news for me though.

have been hanging round waiting for the strugglers to offload their s_w_a_n_k_y cars (soz - but am a bit of a greedy ba$tard like that)

my central locking is buggered and i have to get in my car via the passenger door.

it's starting to piss me off :ph34r:

Haha they hate it don't they. I have similar moments with various work colleagues myself. I cannot believe that woman at the car auction!

Well actually I can. So many people about who think the answer is to buy houses. Lots of them think the same. A house can only go up. And if you don't buy one now you will never be able to buy one mentality.

It seems 1989 has been erased from their memories. Like a old day thing that happened many years ago and its different this time.

Rubbish

good news for me though.

have been hanging round waiting for the strugglers to offload their s_w_a_n_k_y cars (soz - but am a bit of a greedy ba$tard like that)

my central locking is buggered and i have to get in my car via the passenger door.

yes that was funny the first time but after that it just got annoying. <_<

I was reading some tabloid while waiting at the Chinese takeaway last week, and there was an article claiming that many people pay more for their car each year than their mortgage, once you take depreciation into account...

I can't fathom buying a new car and losing 5k the instant you drive it off the forecourt.

I can't fathom buying a new car and losing 5k the instant you drive it off the forecourt.

From the site in post #6 (above):

We were totally gutted and both up all night in tears over entering into a deal at 19%,

buying a fairly worthless policy at a staggering £1500 on the credit bill. The weekly

figure was now far more than we could afford. We clearly said at the outset that a

budget of £30 - £34 was within our means. We were pressured into signing to make

repayments of £50 a week. When we pointed this out the reply was 'you wont actually

pay £50 a week....the finance companies weeks work different to yours.' The result

was a debt of £12,137.60 for a car that was advertised at £7195.00. And to top it all

off we were asked to pay an extra £125 for organising the finance.

Edited by Mr Blek

This is so strange!

I have just been reading reviews of car finance companies at Ciao.co.uk and was about to post in the off topic forum about the reviews of "Yes car credit"! The last reviews I read were of Carcraft :o.

Anyway, I happened to stumble on the reviews while looking for reviews of the Citroen Berlingo (van with windows). Does anyone here own one and would you recommend it? I've found a new shape 2003 model with 28K miles for £4550 (after 3 days of looking).

Of course, if I buy it I won't be using finance (Carcraft or otherwise) for the deal thanks to having no mortgage to pay! The joys of savings do have some benefits. There is one problem though, I'll need to get rid of a Mitsubishi Pajero JR, a Renault Extra van and a Suzuki Swift (don't think the neighbours would appreciate any more cars at the front of the house). Has anyone tried selling vehicles on eBay, and if so, what are your experiences?

I guess this thread should be in off-topic but I didn't start it so can't do anything about that.

To remain on topic - why don't we all give up on housing and buy Citroen Berlingo's to live in? They're big enough (judging by the reviews).

:D

If you need to buy a car on finanace always get a traditional Hire Purchase loan. The loan is secured on the car. If you can't afford the repayments anymore you can then just hand back the car and the loan is discharged. If the trade price of the car is more than the outstanding they will also give you the difference. Also, they're not stupid. You won't get a hire purchase deal that in normal circumstances leaves the car worth less than the outstanding amount - in you interests too.

And don't believe APR's - they're fiddled!

Well said about APRs. My local BMW garage do an HP agreement that is seriously low, it works out about 1.2% APR more expensive than you get from a cash ISA. So if you want to keep your money, but have the car, and can live with the 1.2% hit, the options yours.

How do I know? My friend just bought one, so good luck to him.

good news for me though.

Probably easy to fix, have a go at repairing it for yourself and save some cash! (depends what car it is!)

Always buy privately if you can, Auto Trader is the best place to look. A good rule is to make sure that the previous owner has had the car for at least one year, make sure that you are buying privately and not from a hidden trader.

Always buy privately if you can, Auto Trader is the best place to look. A good rule is to make sure that the previous owner has had the car for at least one year, make sure that you are buying privately and not from a hidden trader.

Or go to the car auction. Buy one with a few little dents or a bit of rust on it and you should end up with a very cheap but probably reliable car. Always go with someone who knows a lot about cars.

You can get a very good car for less than a grand these days.

Edited by Sine270

Or go to the car auction. Buy one with a few little dents or a bit of rust on it and you should end up with a very cheap but probably reliable car. Always go with someone who knows a lot about cars.

You don't have to know much about cars as you only hve a little amount of time to check it out once the engine has started. I normally take a couple of mates with me and we quickly check the major areas. Be prepared to spend a little money on the car afterwards.

One of the key things to check for is full dealer service history. Most high end cars tend to be fleet cars with high motorway mileage. So far I've had three cars from auction and they've all been about 2k cheaper than the forecourt price.

The key thing about auctions is don't lose your head and get into a bidding war.

High mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing. Cruising along a motorway with a warmed up engine doesn't cause much wear. It's pootling around town while the engine warms up that causes the most wear not to mention constant braking and gear changing.

High mileage / low wear cars can be a real bargain. Just make sure the oil was changed at least every 12K miles or in line with the manufacturers recommendations.

Edited by George Mainwaring

If the central locking works on all other doors, then it could be just the wiring/motor in the drivers door faulty, get it to an auto electrician they will not charge a lot, and the parts will not be expensive, why can you not put the key in the drivers door barrel to get in, has it got one on the drivers side?, or are you just lazy :P

Anyway, I happened to stumble on the reviews while looking for reviews of the Citroen Berlingo (van with windows). Does anyone here own one and would you recommend it? I've found a new shape 2003 model with 28K miles for £4550 (after 3 days of looking).

Has it got the HDI diesel engine in it?, what is the trim level and spec?, being based on the van it should be a well tried and tested design even if it does look a bit weird, according to parkers (lol), the diesels are worth between 5 -6k and the petrols between 4 -5k private sale.

High mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing

Hmmm i thought that when i bought a high mileage vauxhall vectra ( 83k) some years ago, the engine was fine, it was just everything else on the car that was falling to bits.

As for Carcraft i would steer clear of them, had a run in with them in about 2000, i did not like the salesmans tactics, they were far too pushy, something just did not seem right so i walked out.

A couple of years ago i watched a fly on the wall documentary on a car dealership in Cannock, one of the salesman featured in this documentary looked like the one i was dealing with at Carcraft, a right smarmy smug git, who announced to the cameras that he would not let a customer leave due to sales pressure without getting a signature for a car.

He also had a hidden mic built into a calculator on his desk, so when it got to talking to a couple about finance he would say "i will leave the room and let you discuss it between yourselves", infact he had legged it to another room where he had a wireless headset so he could listen to what you were saying, then probably come back and offer lower monthly repayments but over a longer period, so it looked like you could afford it.

When asked by the camera crew if what he was doing was spying/listening in, he said he was just helping people in an arwkward situation.

Not sure auctions are worth it, you can't test the car and I'm not sure they represent much of a discount on a well chosen private buy. Also its nice to see who the previous owner was, it gives you a bit of a feel as to whether they looked after the car or not.

Best advice I can give is to buy a copy of parkers price guide & also log onto their website & buy the used car buyers report which tells you what to look for. Stick to this and you shouldn't go too far wrong.