House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classixuk

What Is A Plip Key Used For?

Can anyone tell me what on earth a PLIP key is used for and what it does?

I've been looking at changing my car and one of the most frequent statements in car specs I have read is "Vehicle location identifier via PLIP key".

What the heck is that? Google doesn't help me with an explanation, just lots of cars for sale with the feature!

:unsure:

I've been looking at changing my car and one of the most frequent statements in car specs I have read is "Vehicle location identifier via PLIP key".

What the heck is that? Google doesn't help me with an explanation, just lots of cars for sale with the feature!

I think a PLIP key just means that it can open/close your doors remotely. I remember reading some keys will beep faster and faster as you move closer to your car - a handy feature if you have no spatial awareness and forget where you parked your car.

Nasal sex mate!

Nasal sex mate!

Isn't that what the eskimos believe in? Oh no, sorry; that's how they kiss. What's Nasal Sex then? Would you explain for me Shaker? :D

Thanks Mr Blek for letting me know. I wonder why they don't just state "remote central locking with a bleeping key" :rolleyes:

I can't remember what 'plip' stands for but the plip part of the key usually controls the vehicles central locking via a radio or infra-red frequency so you can lock/deadlock and unlock the car from a distance.

The vehicle location finder using the plip key (has a greater range than the lock/unlock part) is when you inadvertantly park your car in a car park full of the same make, model and colour car as yours :lol: and you don't know which one is yours, you then press the 'lock' button (car already locked) on your plip key and your indicators on your car will start flashing and also your interior light will come on.

Also most modern cars have electronic engine immobilisers fitted from the factory, these use a transponder chip built into the key head which has to be coded to the vehicles security ecu, this unique code is picked up by a ring or wire around the steering column near the ignition lock, which is why a lot of cars including mine are so difficult to steal, that the car thief will break into your house and steal your keys first.

So if you buy a modern performance car always keep the keys upstairs with you at night and a baseball bat under the bed.

Isn't that what the eskimos believe in? Oh no, sorry; that's how they kiss. What's Nasal Sex then? Would you explain for me Shaker? :D

Thanks Mr Blek for letting me know. I wonder why they don't just state "remote central locking with a bleeping key" :rolleyes:

f**k knows mate! :lol::lol::lol::P

I can't remember what 'plip' stands for but the plip part of the key usually controls the vehicles central locking via a radio or infra-red frequency so you can lock/deadlock and unlock the car from a distance.

The vehicle location finder using the plip key (has a greater range than the lock/unlock part) is when you inadvertantly park your car in a car park full of the same make, model and colour car as yours :lol: and you don't know which one is yours, you then press the 'lock' button (car already locked) on your plip key and your indicators on your car will start flashing and also your interior light will come on.

Also most modern cars have electronic engine immobilisers fitted from the factory, these use a transponder chip built into the key head which has to be coded to the vehicles security ecu, this unique code is picked up by a ring or wire around the steering column near the ignition lock, which is why a lot of cars including mine are so difficult to steal, that the car thief will break into your house and steal your keys first.

So if you buy a modern performance car always keep the keys upstairs with you at night and a baseball bat under the bed.

I drive a Nissan Tino which has an even more sophisticated security device.

It’s so un cool no car thief would be seen dead in it.