House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realty Cheque

Anyone Live In South Devon?

A property developer friend of mine who lives in South Devon reckons asking prices have jumped 10% in the first two months of this year alone!

He also believes that this is only the begining of a sustained recovery.

Can anyone down there confirm this?

Or is this just wishful thinking on his part, having a vested interest?

A property developer friend of mine who lives in South Devon reckons asking prices have jumped 10% in the first two months of this year alone!

I live in S.Devon.Not in the prettiest of areas,in fact Plymouth.It certainly aint going up here.Wages are pretty low but it is the only place for miles that you are likely to get work.Maybe in the prettier areas stuff is going up but that would be second homes and retired folks buying in.

Not in South Devon, but in Cornwall not so far away for example there is a house up the road from me; 2.5 years ago was on for 240000 then a year later reduced to 199950, then taken off the market unsold from last August until now when it is back on again at 220000. Will it sell? Who knows there any many lemmings about, but no interest so far.

Does that make a 10% rise in prices since last summer?

Edited by Cornish Pasty

10% in two months.

60% in a year..

for christs sake

I live 12 mile down the A38 from Exeter and been looking for a house in the Mid-Devon / Teignbridge area for the best part of 9 months (Wife is the driving force here).

Every EA and new build site has suggested / offered, that I can get -7 to -9% without even trying. Many houses went off the market back in December, and have appeared again at –10%. Best I have seen so far was –17% drop over 8 months before it sold.

So as for a 10% rise in the last 2 months, someone has been smoking something, more like the other way. A quick look at PROVISER will soon show you which way the West Country is heading.

I live in Brighton and asking prices have definately gone up since Christmas. A 2-bed terrace was 200-210k and are now going up for 220-230k. Sad thing is they are selling pretty fast.

I don't understand whats going on.

I live in Torquay and the properties I have been watching are either just not selling or being reduced in price.

Examples

1 bedroom flat in Babbacombe Road, Torquay. Put on the market in October 2005, after extensive refurbishment, at £115k. Price dropped to £99k 6 weeks later, then £94.5k, then £89k early 2006. Rumoured to have sold for £84k (will have to wait for land reg to find out for sure). That's a drop of 27% in 5 months. Not bad!

3 Bed end terrace in Shiphay. On the market since last summer at £175k. Changed EA's and now on at £170. Still not sold. A drop of 3%.

2 bed bungalow in Cadewell. On at £225k over a year ago. Lying empty now. Still not sold. Price still £225k!!

See the 'South Devon' and 'Devon' threads on the 'What are house prices doing in your area?' forum for more info. I think your friend may be thinking wishfully.

Jock