House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Our Economic Well Being In Their Hands.

With most things being temporary I believe Browns rape of the countries pension provisions is something that will cripple generations...

by no means have the others left us unscathed.

I would dearly love to see Brown hung for his Crimes

sounds extreme, but people relied on him and relied on their pesnion investments.

You're right!

Denis "Silly Billy" Healy was perhaps the most inept chancellor of all time with his 98% income tax rate! :lol::lol::lol:

Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown comes a close second and fails to take first place as he at least tried to give us all something for nothing.

Denis "Silly Billy" Healy was perhaps the most inept chancellor of all time with his 98% income tax rate! :lol::lol::lol:

Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown comes a close second and fails to take first place as he at least tried to give us all something for nothing.

98% income tax? When was that then? Mr Healey's 1974 budget raised basic rate to 33% (where it stayed until Margaret arrived thank heavens) and top rate to 83% from 75%.

The top rate in the 1970s and early 80s included 15% investment income surcharge if the taxpayer's income included investment income greater than the threshold for the highest rate.

So, 98% in effect for some, but the pure income tax figure was still the ridiculously high 83% until Mrs Thatcher kicked the lunatics out for a generation, although it took 9 years to get it down to 40% and some would argue that Lawson's 1988 budget which slashed rates (rather than gradually reducing them) for political reasons caused a huge boom, and the return of high inflation.

Which is why I voted for Lawson!

98% income tax? When was that then? Mr Healey's 1974 budget raised basic rate to 33% (where it stayed until Margaret arrived thank heavens) and top rate to 83% from 75%.

The top rate in the 1970s and early 80s included 15% investment income surcharge if the taxpayer's income included investment income greater than the threshold for the highest rate.

So, 98% in effect for some, but the pure income tax figure was still the ridiculously high 83% until Mrs Thatcher kicked the lunatics out for a generation, although it took 9 years to get it down to 40% and some would argue that Lawson's 1988 budget which slashed rates (rather than gradually reducing them) for political reasons caused a huge boom, and the return of high inflation.

Which is why I voted for Lawson!

Good ol' Maggie. Left off the polling list I note. Since this is a property inflation website, I would like to pay homage to her magnificent contribution to scarcity through the selling off of all decent council properties that there was a buck in for the resident. I would further like to thank her for the munificent giving of 40% discounts for properties that taxpayers paid for in the first place. I just love paying my tax to look after the dodgers of this world. Thanks Mags. The ones that needed discounts never sold anyway. It was the biggest rort in modern housing history. What a gem she was.

Good ol' Maggie. Left off the polling list I note. Since this is a property inflation website, I would like to pay homage to her magnificent contribution to scarcity through the selling off of all decent council properties that there was a buck in for the resident. I would further like to thank her for the munificent giving of 40% discounts for properties that taxpayers paid for in the first place. I just love paying my tax to look after the dodgers of this world. Thanks Mags. The ones that needed discounts never sold anyway. It was the biggest rort in modern housing history. What a gem she was.

Why would Maggie be on the list? She never held the post!

According to this poll Gordon is the worst Chancellor for 30 years by a big margin but his party still did well at the last election. What the hell is going through people's minds when they are standing in the voting booth?

Guest The_Oldie

What the hell is going through people's minds when they are standing in the voting booth?

Spin ;).

Seems like Lawson's got off lightly. Everyone seems to have forgotton the years of misery that were the early 90s.

frugalista

Yes, I was tempted by Lawson, but he had some saving graces.

1. Only held office for a relatively short period of time compared to brown's almost 9 years.

2. Much more difficult economic situation at the time.

3. Much of the damage of the following recession was due to a misguided attempt to defend value of sterling and not necessarily of his making.

4. He managed to keep govenment finances more or less under control.

GB seems to have managed to F*** up his job despite having perhaps the most favourable economic environment in living memory. Wheras other chancellors made mistakes GB really has no excuse for it, the damage is soley attributable to him. :angry:

Seems like Lawson's got off lightly. Everyone seems to have forgotton the years of misery that were the early 90s.

Exactly.

Short memories anyone...?