House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BuyingBear

The Politician And The Bubble

Jowell link to Italian payoff

Minister: I signed papers for £350,000 loan swap

THE culture secretary Tessa Jowell has become embroiled in the scandal surrounding her husband after it emerged that she had allowed their house to be used in a financial deal.

An investigation by The Sunday Times has established that Jowell signed a mortgage document that enabled her husband to bring an alleged bribe of £350,000 into Britain.

Italian prosecutors claim the money was paid by Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, for help from Jowell’s husband in two corruption hearings against the politician.

Until now Jowell had avoided being drawn into the affair which has dogged her husband, David Mills, a corporate lawyer. Without her co-operation Mills would not have been able to raise a loan on their jointly owned house which enabled him to bring the Italian money onshore.

The couple’s London house and Mills’s office were raided this month by police at the request of Italian prosecutors and documents and two computers were seized.

Mills, 61, had previously tried to protect his wife, a close cabinet ally of Tony Blair who once said she would “jump in front of a bus” to save the prime minister from being drawn into the allegations.

Focus: The minister and the £350,000 gift

The culture secretary Tessa Jowell has become ensnared in the bribery scandal surrounding her husband. This is the inside story of the Italian gift

Now, this seems quite a bit worse than simply "pulling a mandy" as the money is the subject of a criminal investigation.

About a decade ago they used to call this sort of thing "sleaze".

Now, this seems quite a bit worse than simply "pulling a mandy" as the money is the subject of a criminal investigation.

About a decade ago they used to call this sort of thing "sleaze".

She's innocent I tell you! :lol: Tony will be right behind her all the way to the end....... of her shortened career. :lol:

Um.... haven't we been here before with a few of those other t**ts from Nu-Labour? :blink:

Now let's see. I'm going to work for a high-profile thing called THE GOVERNMENT so I don't want any bad publicity..... doh! Enough is enough. Please let's get the voting right at the next election and get rid of these patronising w***k*rs.

Perhaps we should have a vote: Another Labour government or a HPC?

This thread begs the question. How on earth did Peter Mandelson ever get back into politics, let alone the senior Euro position he has now?

Here is a senior politician who committed mortgage fraud. Of that there is no doubt. His position, that he forgot to put down the £150,000 loan from Jeffrey Robinson is totally irrelevant. Ignorance or forgetfulness is no excuse.

What I detest more than anything is the sheer arrogance of the man. Recently, when questioned in an interview, he maintained that he had been cleared of any wrong doing, and that there was no case to answer. This is absolute nonsense. Either the CPS did not think that there was not enough evidence or quite simply Blair lent on the authorities, just like he did with the BBC, and the case was simply dropped. No one has ever come out and said Mandelsdon did nothing wrong.

Peter mandelson is a disgrace.

We had a similar case a few years back in Australia. A case against a prominent businessman failed on a technicality, and the judge was later reprimanded for making an error in law which led to the acquittal.

The t*sser then turned around and sued the company regulators, stating he had been found innocent (rather than not guilty), and therefore that the company regulators had been persecuting him by prosecuting the case at all.

Some people either have no shame at all, or take the view that they are above any rules.

Edited by ajh

Oh dear folks, do we need reminding.

Mr. Orwell, he has, sometime ago, summed it up.

Some animals etc.

Still the populous, in their state of ignorance, do not see.

Me, I observe and alternately laugh and cry.