House Price Crash Forum

North East Hpc'ers?

crudeFool

HOLA441

Hello

Just wondering how many of us frequent this site?

I live in Fulwell, Sunderland. Started looking at this site a couple of years ago, amazed at the house price in Sunderland. For you "suvernerns" average wages in Sunderland must be around £14K (correct me if I'm wrong), but prices here are outrageous in comparison to the wages!

In the area I live in, you'd swear that you were in a stockbroker belt given all the fancy cars I see...

Regards,

crude

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hello

I live in Fulwell, Sunderland. Started looking at this site a couple of years ago, amazed at the house price in Sunderland. For you "suvernerns" average wages in Sunderland must be around £14K (correct me if I'm wrong), but prices here are outrageous in comparison to the wages!

In the area I live in, you'd swear that you were in a stockbroker belt given all the fancy cars I see...

Regards,

crude

Based in London, but originally from South Shields (and often return to visit family). I quite agree with you - the situation is beyond parody. Southern prices supported by call-centre wages.

A friend recently compared Newcastle Upon Tyne to Moscow in the early 1990s. Conspicuous wealth (the streets seem to be lined with 911s and TTs owned by high-spending wide boys) and massive hidden poverty.

Edited by Europa

HOLA444

Hello

Regards,

crude

I live in the toon, its a myth that wages are way lower, they are about 10% lower than the uk average.

Government stats that I have previously posted back this up.

There are loads of well paid government jobs up here in the 'soviet' north.

HOLA445

I live in the toon, its a myth that wages are way lower, they are about 10% lower than the uk average.

Government stats that I have previously posted back this up.

There are loads of well paid government jobs up here in the 'soviet' north.

Hi Undersupply

The "average" wage may be just a bit lower than the UK average, but the majority of people, ie 67% (I read that somewhere - I'll post a link if I can find it) earn less than the average. There are an awful lot of people up here getting 11K / year in call centres.

Funnily enough, I work at Longbenton via an IT outsourcing company and you're right - there are a lot of well paid government jobs (although what they actually do is another matter!)

Regards,

crude

HOLA446

A friend recently compared Newcastle Upon Tyne to Moscow in the early 1990s. Conspicuous wealth (the streets seem to be lined with 911s and TTs owned by high-spending wide boys) and massive hidden poverty.

or indeed London, now. Or at any time in it's history!

I suppose that would explain the views of the bulls on here - they only see the conspicuous wealth and are unaware of the concealed poverty. In fact, a few of the bears are like that too - it's a sign of how out of control the bubble has become that it seems unjustified even in the light of that conspicuous wealth.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Guy_Montag

I'm in Durham, & of course prices here are as silly as elsewhere. I like to think they are made worse by students, though in a couple of years a couple of new colleges will be built. This may impact on the student rental market, but more likely the Uni will expand to accomodate more students.

Often wondered about buying a house in Sunderland after the fall.

HOLA449

In the Toon myself.

Prices in Jesmond now equivilant to some parts of london but prices have stalled over the last year with reductions appearing in the student digs/tynside flats.

City exulets (rabbit hutches) sales are non existent. The prices of these have already started to drop.

The cheaper areas, jarrow, shields, felling, gateshead, sunderland etc don't appear to have absorbed the price tremors yet and everybody is still quite bullish but then again it takes a long time from the tremors of london to affect these areas, but when it does they will be hit harder than they have ever been hit (peopel who bought their council houses 10 years ago were paying £12,000 for them - the same houses are now going for £130,000)

Labour have been rewarding Newcastle for their loyalty by pouring cash in?? This money and political will can't last forever.

North East GDP is over 60% from the public sector!!! Low local wages, a declining population, over investment in some well dodgy estates (mosy by out of the area BTL'ers), Buy and move in for £99 with first year rent garanteed offers and the Gershon efficency drive appear to put the north east in greater risk than most areas of the UK (I would say anyway).

FH

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410

From washington here. House prices shooting up, around 5 years ago saw a house go for £165k, is now worth well in excess of £300k(albeit with fairly major renovation - nothing structural though).

Must say(not wanting to provoke major discussion here, just my point of view) that I am a firm non-believer in the predicted HPC. And as such am looking for my first BTL/BTS property. Can anyone advise any areas in NE which MAY show potential decent increases in the short term? Such as areas with investment I may not have heard of :P think I missed the boat on Byker.

Edited by MrShed

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm from Darlington area, County Durham. From anecdotal experience the market was dead last year although picked up a bit in Jan/Feb. Walking past estate agents in Darlington today, some of the prices are still astounding e.g £140,000, for a two bed hovel in a grotty part of town! Having said that there've been a few bearish headlines lately showing some falls in Teesside area etc.

Edited by JST

HOLA4413

I suppose that would explain the views of the bulls on here - they only see the conspicuous wealth and are unaware of the concealed poverty. In fact, a few of the bears are like that too - it's a sign of how out of control the bubble has become that it seems unjustified even in the light of that conspicuous wealth.

That's a very good point, but it doesn't apply just to poverty. Just look at the posts on this forum regarding what some people consider a reasonable income. Then check out the actual statistics.

I remember reading a thread on an Australian forum once where a poster in a Sydney finance job stated that she thought the government fiddled the income statistics downwards "to make people feel better, because I don't know anybody and don't ever meet anybody who earns less than the alleged median" (words to that effect).

Another poster immediately pointed out that the driver of the bus she commuted on, the childcare worker at the centre she left her kid at, the postman who delivered her mail, the fast food workers where she bought his lunch, the staff at the stores where she shopped, her hairdresser etc. etc., all earned less, and in many cases a lot less, than the median.

Original poster's response; "I never thought about those people, yes, I suppose there are quite a lot of them". Enough to make the median the median, in fact.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

originally from Stockton On Tees.

Went back for a reunion in 2002 - 2 bed terrace in town, ... £13,000

Credit card job.

Last year? £45,000 (or thereabouts).

Now living in Umbria, Italy, and laughing my **** off at what you lot pay for food, entertainment, internet access, and houses.

Next stop, French Ski resort, 3 bed chalet 2 bathrooms, in a nice area with 5 bars, walk to slopes... £800 a month.

HOLA4416

originally from Stockton On Tees.

aha! Now I understand the radical vituperative attitude! ;)

get thee south of the river

I work in Sheffield but live (with parents) in the toon. (currently not looking to buy at today's aspirational prices)

that, sir, is one helluva commute

That's a very good point, but it doesn't apply just to poverty. Just look at the posts on this forum regarding what some people consider a reasonable income. Then check out the actual statistics.

I remember reading a thread on an Australian forum once where a poster in a Sydney finance job stated that she thought the government fiddled the income statistics downwards "to make people feel better, because I don't know anybody and don't ever meet anybody who earns less than the alleged median" (words to that effect).

Another poster immediately pointed out that the driver of the bus she commuted on, the childcare worker at the centre she left her kid at, the postman who delivered her mail, the fast food workers where she bought his lunch, the staff at the stores where she shopped, her hairdresser etc. etc., all earned less, and in many cases a lot less, than the median.

Original poster's response; "I never thought about those people, yes, I suppose there are quite a lot of them". Enough to make the median the median, in fact.

true dat. On here, those with high salaries and high expectations tend to have the loudest voices. Those of us of more modest means don't draw attention to it!