House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

E U Trying To Calm Bird Flu Panic

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/investing/f...-15_L24733245:1

EU tries to calm trade partners over bird flu

Saturday February 25, 02:26 PM

PARIS (Reuters) - The European Union urged its trading partners on Saturday not to over-react to an outbreak of bird flu in France after Japan suspended all French poultry imports and threatened a similar ban on the Netherlands.
Japan's move caused alarm in Europe's two biggest poultry producers after tests confirmed the deadly H5N1 strain of avian flu had hit a farm in eastern France, the first case of the virus in domestic farm birds in the EU.

My sister is thinking about moving to France and buying a house (can't afford the UK) and it would appear there might be some swell discounts soon? :blink:

Bird flu will inevitably spread world wide and the impact on house prices could be as serious as the Bank of Japan's dramatic announcement this week that its TTRTRates.

Edited by Realistbear

Guest muttley

Am I alone in thinking that we should announce an immediate ban on the import of French poultry?

For no better reason than to wind up the French!

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/investing/f...-15_L24733245:1

EU tries to calm trade partners over bird flu

Saturday February 25, 02:26 PM

PARIS (Reuters) - The European Union urged its trading partners on Saturday not to over-react to an outbreak of bird flu in France after Japan suspended all French poultry imports and threatened a similar ban on the Netherlands.
Japan's move caused alarm in Europe's two biggest poultry producers after tests confirmed the deadly H5N1 strain of avian flu had hit a farm in eastern France, the first case of the virus in domestic farm birds in the EU.

My sister is thinking about moving to France and buying a house (can't afford the UK) and it would appear there might be some swell discounts soon? :blink:

Bird flu will inevitably spread world wide and the impact on house prices could be as serioous as the Bank of Japan's dramtic announcement this week that its TTRTRates.

I love your posts.......the more obscure the better! anything to convince the forum/you? that a massive HPC is going to hit us any day......

We cannot live our lives in such fear: there could be another bomb in London, there could be WW3...bird flu can and probably will hit UK......but life goes on. Surely after 9/11 and 7/7 you can see that? It goes on b/c it has too, because where do we run too??? Where is 100% safe? What country does not have some issue/problems?

People brush themselves down and get on with it. I very much doubt if more than 10% of UK population even know or care about what is happening in France/Japan at this very moment. I honestly believe that this forum could be very, very bad for a person’s mental/spiritual/physical wellbeing... earlier this week i was SO, so down because i was spending too much time here.

For me life is to be enjoyed not to read and absorb every piece of sensationalism the press care to feed us with.

I love your posts.......the more obscure the better! anything to convince the forum/you? that a massive HPC is going to hit us any day......

We cannot live our lives in such fear: there could be another bomb in London, there could be WW3...bird flu can and probably will hit UK......but life goes on. Surely after 9/11 and 7/7 you can see that? It goes on b/c it has too, because where do we run too??? Where is 100% safe? What country does not have some issue/problems?

People brush themselves down and get on with it. I very much doubt if more than 10% of UK population even know or care about what is happening in France/Japan at this very moment. I honestly believe that this forum could be very, very bad for a person’s mental/spiritual/physical wellbeing... earlier this week i was SO, so down because i was spending too much time here.

For me life is to be enjoyed not to read and absorb every piece of sensationalism the press care to feed us with.

In the good old tradition of "Peace in our Time" eh??

In the good old tradition of "Peace in our Time" eh??

I live in central London so it helps to keep my thoughts in perspective....

Just look back over your posts...........the more bullish the news in the UK the more you will quote from other sources....and it is your spin that makes me laugh. others have pointed it out too......!!

Not attacking you as some of your info is extremely interesting.....BUT!!!

No one i know - all over the globe perhaps 100 people - from shop assistant to nurse to unemployed- has a view as bleak as you......

that is your personal choice/opinion.....

but God help us if it gets even half as bad as you fear.......

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

I live in central London so it helps to keep my thoughts in perspective....

Just look back over your posts...........the more bullish the news in the UK the more you will quote from other sources....and it is your spin that makes me laugh. others have pointed it out too......!!

Not attacking you as some of your info is extremely interesting.....BUT!!!

No one i know - all over the globe perhaps 100 people - from shop assistant to nurse to unemployed- has a view as bleak as you......

that is your personal choice/opinion.....

but God help us if it gets even half as bad as you fear.......

Thank you beenhearingthisforyears, I will take that as a supreme compliment! I got the same flack on the Wall Street Journal blog when I was living in California about my drastic predictions that the Southern California house prices were facing a dark and uncharted abyss. I have posted a few recent articles confirming that the nightmare has become reality with medians for homes dropping by over $100k in a single month. I admit that I take a somewhat bearish approach to current events because I have never in all my years seen anything so extreme as property prices in this country. Its a gathering storm and Bears have a responsibility to warn as many who will listen.

I am not sure about the bullish news as it seems to come from the same VI sources, especially those trying to sell houses and for whom a HPC would be an unmitigated disaster.

http://discussions.realestatejournal.com/R...20Discussions/1

You can bet your bottom Euro that the Chunnel is full of French poultry farmers with infected ducks and chickens to release in Blighty!

My friend's dad was a vet and said that not only did the French have Scrapie (sheep) during the BSE crisis but that they had BSE itself! Everyone's afraid of French farmers.

No way will we NOT get bird flu if France has anything to do with it - I reckon we'll have the first case in 2WEEKS.

Er, since birds are actually migrating OUT of the country at the minute, why should we get it here?

Ooops. Silly me. Cos the global corporations who sell battery birds want us to have it.

Sorry. Got carried away with a bit of common sense there. Must watch more news and read more papers.

....Oh and since it's soooooo virulent. Why do they keep finding only the odd one or two birds with it?

Silly me again. Another common sense observation!

The UK will have the virus within a few weeks and since we can not kill all the wild birlds then it will become a real problom as more and more birlds catch it and this increases the chances of people getting it but you will all be OK as big brother says not to panick.

i've already stocked up on food before the rush begins and await to see how it all pans out

Justice - where are all these birds that are catching it?

I mean, which bit of the world.

Where's the tv footage. The photos. The figures.

Oh and as an after thought.

If you kill the wild birds, the bugs will take over the crops. You won't have anything to eat.

Think I'm making it up? See what happened when Mao tried it in the 60's.

Justice - where are all these birds that are catching it?

I mean, which bit of the world.

Where's the tv footage. The photos. The figures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4749666.stm

Eight EU countries - Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia - have so far confirmed cases of the lethal H5N1 strain.

Its a pandemic I am afraid. Asia-Europe-Africa.

Edited by Realistbear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4749666.stm

Eight EU countries - Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia - have so far confirmed cases of the lethal H5N1 strain.

Its a pandemic I am afraid. Asia-Europe-Africa.

you've missed that key word again: "could"

quote from BBC: H5N1 has killed more than 90 people, mostly in Asia, since late 2003.

It can be caught by humans who handle infected birds, but is not yet known to have passed from one person to another.

Scientists have warned that if the virus mutates, it could create a pandemic that could kill millions of people.

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

No, the WILD birds.

If it's a virulent pandemic, why aren't wild birds dying in their millions?

Where is the footage of birds being washed up on beaches? Why aren't they floating about in the sea?

Look up pandemic and state the definition.

The bluddy news gets more like Drop the Dead Donkey everyday.

"It's a pandemic I'm afraid"

- Yeah - and PROPERTY PRICES ALWAYS GO UP!

It is spread by road not by air....

All this migratory bird panic is ill founded IMHO

The spread can be mapped along main trading routes via roads and rail through Asia which are not even slightly similar to migration routes of the poor maligned birds.

Once again Mr human makes an arrrrse of it and the animal kingdom picks up the tab.

Interesting that the BBC is running with the panic at full speed, ignoring the expert they had on radio 4 a few weeks ago who anoyingly told them that the spread just couldn't be by migratory birds as the en route occurances of the out breaks aligned almost perfectly with roads and rail and were not occuring at migratory seasons.........

There is a population problem in the world......Aids hasn't worked yet

What are they planning next?

Am I alone in thinking that we should announce an immediate ban on the import of French poultry?

For no better reason than to wind up the French!

Yes :P

Feeble 6 nations link

England playing in France in 2 weeks time,

but in 3 weeks time France play Wales in Cardiff, anyone who follows rugby knows french fans smuggle in cockerels and release them on the pitch during play (Cockerels are the French rugby teams mascots)

Thing is Eurows, that people see bird flu and see a virus that they can catch. At least the media manipulate them into thinking that by the wording they use.

That link you gave said "H5, the version at the centre of current global concerns in the H5N1 combination, was found only rarely, occurring in just 0.2 per cent of the samples."

..........and that is for H5 NOT for H5N1, which, in itself is NOT transferable human to human.

Crikey, if the press managed to get hold of the name of every virus that COULD mutate into something that humans could catch the world would be living in a glass cage.

The pandemonium because caused by this has probably already caused more deaths than anything. GP's ran out of ordinary flu vaccine before christmas because of the panic for it. How many OAPS and people who need it will have gone without because of that? Bet those figures are well buried though.

It seems to me that there are more VI's out there concerned with this than there ever will be in connection to the house market. Vaccine producers, labs, pharmaceutical co's, global corporations interested in selling you commercially reared food pumped full of more carp than you can shake a stick at.

None of the reporting seems to make sense to me. For instance, how come they are saying 11,000 birds had it in a poultry farm, yet only 2 wild birds within the vacinity had it? 2+2 = 8,290,194 ?????

Just thought of this and I had to share.

A few years ago I was talking to a man who was a manager in a pig "unit." He'd been there for 25 years and when he'd started out it was a pig "farm" i.e. free-range, but consumer demand had ensured that over the years the company had ended up intensive farming.

He told me that pigs were, and always have been suseptible, to meningitis. He got disgusted with the set up because during the summer months, because the pigs were so confined, probably 90% of the pigs had it.

He did actually leave the trade because of the way things were going.

Now this is pig meningitis, not the human kind, and most of the pigs don't die from it, but I am sure you can see my point. Especially when you read that they are using pig organs in transplants because they are the most compatible with humans.

What if it were to mutate into the human kind????AARRRGGHHHH.

Thing is, you would, at the end of the day, really be masters of your own downfall. Cheap meat, no fat, standardized, in nice clean looking packaging. You asked for it. You got it.

Who was it that was loading up their freezer? Hope it wasn't with intensively reared pork :o

Guest muttley

If bird flu transmits to humans we could have a global disaster if the virus mutates into a virulent form.

If we had bacon, we could have bacon and eggs, if we had eggs.

"If bird flu transmits to humans we could have a global disaster if the virus mutates into a virulent form."

.......and if pigs grow wings we could all get flattened when they land!

The interesting bit I've just read is that there are 135 kinds of bird flu. The H5N1 is not inherent in wild birds. This is the reason so few are dying.

The virus developed in intensively reared birds, which is unnatural to them causing undue stress and sickness. Stress makes birds susceptible to illness.

This actually answers my question relating to why so few wild birds are dying right next to intensively reared birds where thousands are having to be culled.

Intensively reared birds don't fly. Well lets be fair, most of the poor sods can hardly walk.

No healthy wild birds have been found with the H5N1 virus. It only gets the very few that are already sick. No sick birds have been found on migratory paths. The assumption being that it is not being carried by migrating birds.

By the looks of it, locking birds in confined spaces only increases their stress levels and subsequently their resistence to disease making them more suseptible to it.

Nature ain't too happy about us intensively rearing it's progeny.