House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
look to the past

Well That’s The Pension Problem Solved

Well that’s the pension problem solved

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/25022006/140/brito...n-property.html

“Britons are collectively set to inherit £360bn worth of property over the coming 15 years “

“Housing wealth will undoubtedly assist the next generation to provide for their pension. “

£360 bn is that a before or after crash figure – looks like you don’t have to work or save for a pension – houses have all the answers

“Housing wealth will undoubtedly assist the next generation to provide for their pension. “

Like, duh, who's going to buy those houses to provide that 'housing wealth'?

Ah, the younger generations who can't afford to save for a pension.

But to whom are they going to sell it to exactly, notional gains have to be cashed out... and if the generation leaving the assets cannot reafford their own homes and the next generation is priced out, where does the liquidity come from? The demographics point to far more boomers than those in the 20-30's range, hence the governments intention of importing as many 20 year olds as possible to soak up the surplus? The problem is that they wont stick around for long if they can't afford a decent place to stay, or have to work like a dog.

Edited by BuyingBear

:lol::lol::lol:

What possesses this country's economic thinkers?

So if my parents lived in this country, I would be sitting around on my hands just waiting for them to die? :blink: ...

would I also be pretty keen for them to pop off in the next year or so, since I am expected that 360B figure to 1/2 in the next 3 years? and after waiting so long would I feel ripped off if my parents popped their clogs AFTER the crash has settled in?

Of course since my parents are penniless pensioners living in a country where the crash has already happened, they are safe... FOR NOW :o

Edited by Elizabeth

Wait until the children find out their dear old parents took equity withdrawl.

How else would the debt mountain have been formed? Most "boomers" are up to their eyes in debt and can't even retire let alone leave a huge sum to Generation X. All that wealth is owed to the VIs! This "news" is another propaganda blurb coming from Gordon in his run up to moving into No. 10.

HPI is not a replacement for production. The UK cannot continue to enjoy wealth without a means of production apart from the widespread opinion that houses are "worth" more here than anywhere else in the world. It is just not real and as Warren Buffett would say--just because people are paying outrageous prices for something does not necessarily reflect its value. House prices are a matter of opinion whereas debt is real (Merv King, BoE).

Wait until the children find out their dear old parents took equity withdrawl.

In principle parents giving money to their children early then living off MEW is a good thing as they stop the government picking up much of the inheritance. And it's their money to do with as they like.

More spin.

The estimates are presumably based on current values -

they fail to admit that such a glut of inherited property would

depress the market and values.

'Experts believe...', and who is that expert?

'Ray Milne, managing director of Halifax Financial Services, said: '

Nuff said...

ABB

pensions solved my ****!!!

...what will the kiddies do with the inheritance????....easy!

sell up and spend it all on chelsea tractors and club 50-70 holidays!!!!

Its called spin.

Make common joe believe everything is OK whereas everyone else know Robert Maxwell isn't dead and in chrage of pensions