House Price Crash Forum
Perfectionist

Saudis 'foil Oil Refinery Attack' .....

Am I HPC's first sugar ramper?

Sadly, I seem to remember someone else suggesting sugar a few months ago. But I might be confusing HPC with the other contrarian site I read.

Jokes aside, if they can really achieve a 10% energy ratio (hydrogen out to sunlight in), then that's an astonishing breakthrough. In most of Australia that would give you the energy equivalent of (I hope I've got my orders of magnitude right here :ph34r: ) about 15 litres of petrol/diesel per square metre per year. 365 square metres (a tenth of an acre) would yield 15 litres per day, which would meet most personal energy requirements.

A couple of years ago I read the report of the Aquatic Species Program set up by US President Carter, and formed the conclusion then that water-resident algae looked like the most likely candidate for bio-fuel in the long term.

Sadly, I seem to remember someone else suggesting sugar a few months ago. But I might be confusing HPC with the other contrarian site I read.

Many soft commodities are still very cheap by historical standards.

Worth investigating as a potential investment.

Coffee, sugar, soya, etc.

Don't forget, baked beans are also the world's favourite recession food. Speaking of alternative investments, sugar seems to be doing better than gold at present. Am I HPC's first sugar ramper? :)

sugar is at a 25 year high. Totally disconnected from current fundamentals, mostly pushed up on fund momentum buying and speculating on its use in producing fuels. If you think the peak oil plateau is going to be short then IMHO buy oil, rather than trying to guess what will try (most likely fairly poorly) to fill the gap.

"*** imminent ??"

What is the connection you see?

Disruption of Saudi oil = global depression (which might include as a small and trivial part of a much wider problem, HPC)?