House Price Crash Forum

Prospective Buyer To Pay To Veiw The Hips Pack

zsuzsanna

HOLA441

I had a chat yesterday with my neighbour who is an estate agent manager. He told me that the company he works are planning to charge prospective buyer to view the pack and will not charge the seller for the HIPs pack until the property is sold.

They have some cunning plans. Very annoying. I wonder if it will work.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I had a chat yesterday with my neighbour who is an estate agent manager. He told me that the company he works are planning to charge prospective buyer to view the pack and will not charge the seller for the HIPs pack until the property is sold.

I don't think this could ever work. I wouldn't be willing to pay as a buyer - I would just avoid all properties and agents where this was the case, unless it became industry standard. As a vendor I'd be extremely worried about an agent doing this - it can only reduce the number of people making actual viewings.

To be honest this just sounds like a bit more desperation to me...

HOLA444

I don't think this could ever work. I wouldn't be willing to pay as a buyer - I would just avoid all properties and agents where this was the case, unless it became industry standard. As a vendor I'd be extremely worried about an agent doing this - it can only reduce the number of people making actual viewings.

To be honest this just sounds like a bit more desperation to me...

Exactly - what with some people already advertising with more than one agent, who do you think they will go to.

It is very rare in any industry for the buyer to pay to view a product. Most if not all advertising models have the seller paying the fee. I for one wouldn't pay google to let me view adverts <_<

HOLA445

do you pay to view the mot on a car when buying?

does the mortgage company pay to view a damp proof certificate?

I think what is being said here is the estate agent will charge a couple pound to send off a printed copy to prospective buyers to offset making lots of copies, not to cover the cost of making them, as it could get expensive for them sending off copies to 30 prospective buyers ect.

but realy the costs will be incurred by the seller

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.movewithus.co.uk/hip/si.cmsx?itemID=818#CYCTB

what a crock, 30 to 40 quid barrier to entry:(, but hopefully competition will lower this :P Would be nice if you could get the infor from a nethouseprice style website :P

No way I'd pay that. That's not a reasonable photocopy cost! But it makes much more sense to leave a copy at the house to be viewed free of charge. Ludicrous that in this market they are seeking ways that will reduce the number of people viewing a property. It makes no sense!

HOLA449

I don't think this will work in the majority of cases. Some may pay to view for a very special house. I think fundamentally the days of many EAs are numbered in the UK anyway; I think the supermarkets will take over and there will be a move to the Internet with owners playing a larger role in the sale of the home.

I could never understand why people pay agents so much for what they do, it is a total nonsense industry.

HOLA4410

If the agents band together and demand it then there'll be no choice.

In some countries, you have to pay an agent a commission of 2-3% as a buyer (they get the same from the seller) for them to show you the property. There are few for sale signs.

It works because you have to be licensed to be an estate agent and once they're in the club they realise that collusion is good for everyone so no one is willing to break ranks and not charge.

It's an excellent example of the fact that regulation of an industry often sets up an unhealthy monopoly.

HOLA4411

Does the report have to be hard printed? Would a pdf file (or similar) suffice in the first instance? Then a charge could be reasonably made if you want a real copy when you are ready to proceed into discussions about purchase?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

What the guy made very clear, that they want the seller to make the money spent on the pack, back somehow. He found it hilarious that the seller should part with money. The estate agency will pay fo the pack and then make the money back and some extra on top.

Edited by zsuzsanna

HOLA4415

LOLOLOLOLOLOL,

Why don't they just make the whole thing into a game and charge for the cards instead. :lol:

Hey, this is a great idea! HPC top trumps!

The best card is a Kensington town house; the only card that will beat it is a studio flat on the old kent road that has a slightly higher yield...

HOLA4416

is it leagal ?

HOLA4417

Does the report have to be hard printed? Would a pdf file (or similar) suffice in the first instance? Then a charge could be reasonably made if you want a real copy when you are ready to proceed into discussions about purchase?

good point

costs nothing to publish it online for all to see.

im thinking this is an idea for estate agents to keep people selling there houses

i suspect though they will have to take the costs if they pay for the hips outta the sale

HOLA4418

"Hah! 36K tower block in Bethnal Green - 35 flights of stairs."

"No! My 3-bed in Wandsworth worth 400K rented out to young professionals has only 6, sh!t!"

"Yield - 8%"

"Damn, yield 6.5%"

"Development factor - 89%"

"Yes! Development factor 92% - burnt out Brixton squat"

HOLA4419

is it leagal ?

Yes, see the earlier link which suggests reasonable costs can be charged on. That said it does not cost £30-£40 to photocopy it (that would suggest over an hour of secretary's time!)

Don't see it working though, people will just avoid the agencies that do this and what are the agency going to do if you say no? Kiss goodbye to £3,000 commission because you refuse to pay another £40 to them? Ring up their clients and say "sorry, we had to let that buyer go because they refused to meet our charges, yes I know that your house has been on the market for 9 months but there's a principal at stake....."

HOLA4420

What a hideous Dirty Tricks exercise by the EAs to turn around the whole premise of the Seller's Pack and make the buyer pay.

They're just a bunch of crooks.

If, as an industry, they try this en-masse then I expect the Government to intervene, otherwise I will just avoid any EA that tries this.