House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bert

How Long Does It Normally Take To Get My Deposit Back?

One should expect the return of your deposit within a 14 day period after the end of the tenancy. Time to write them a nice polite letter asking why your deposit has not yet been returned.

An "unreasonable period" is said to be any delay over 28 days in returning either the deposit or the reasons why the deposit is not being returned. Your case is longer than average but not extreme by any means.

Thanks. Is there any literature I can refer to briefly in the letter, ie. prompt rental deposit return act 1066 states any period over 14 days is unreasonable and the tenant may be allowed compensation of 50p per day fo reach day proceeding the 14 day unreasonable period.

I might be sounding a bit ********, but I really need to get my hand on that money to cover this months bills.

Edited by bert

I would just write them a letter saying that you hope that they found everything all present and correct in the property and explain to them how you would like the deposit returned to ie cheque to such-and-such address / BACS transfer to such-and-such account ... sign off with the standard "looking forward to hearing from you" and leave it at that.

If they dont respond to that then 2 weeks later you send them a letter saying that you are disappointed that they have not responded to your previous letter and that unless you hear from them within 1 week that you will be issuing a small claims court summons for the return of your deposit

I agree with grizzly. Unfortunately, nothing will ensure the prompt return of the deposit, as writing to them, threatening with small claims court etc, if it goes to its longest time, will take quite a while. Another possibility is if they are a member of a professional body, such as ARLA or NAEA. I believe that one or both of these bodies have a line in their code of conduct saying that they will usually return deposits in 14 days. It may be worth checking if they are in either, and if they are whether the body concerned has something about deposit returns.