House Price Crash Forum

House Prices Going Up ! " 2 Women At Work Trying

GAL BEAR

HOLA441

I was in the work Canteen with two women who are trying to sell their houses. (in or around the Romford areas). Both have been on sale for betwen 6 - 9 months.

One of them had the Daily Mail which had an item about houseprices reaching the £200,000 barrier.

"I'm sorry but I just don't believe house prices are going up!

"We have had ours on for months, we have reduced it, moved it to about 5 different agents and still

no-ones interested."The other lady was less forthcoming but did nod in agreement.

The First lady said that she had several other friends and family who were all in the same boat!

I of course jumped in at that point and said not to believe those figures as they were based on

ASKING PRICES and the only figures she should trust were LAND REGISTRY.

I also then explained to them both lots of things I have gleaned on here.

1. Media are in BUY TO LET so need to report Market doing well.

2 Figures can be 'scewed' "seasonally adjusted etc.

3. The potential SIPS fiasco could have had an impact.

I then asked them both could they afford to buy their homes now.

They both admitted that even on their present salaries they could not !

(they are both 'older' ladies who hubbies have got good jobs so earn good money).

We then quite a debate about the housing market and I think they both saw the light.

Both of them said they could not see themselves selling in the near future.

I made it quite clear to them that they would sell if they reduced the price satisfactorily.

Well we will see !

HOLA442

So, the reality on the ground is very different from the appearances in the media. Who'd have thought it?

Did you also mention that Rightmove is about to float on the stock market, and therefore they have a huge vested interest in making the market look buoyant?

frugalista

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I was in the work Canteen with two women who are trying to sell their houses. (in or around the Romford areas). Both have been on sale for betwen 6 - 9 months.

One of them had the Daily Mail which had an item about houseprices reaching the £200,000 barrier.

"We have had ours on for months, we have reduced it, moved it to about 5 different agents and still

no-ones interested."The other lady was less forthcoming but did nod in agreement.

The First lady said that she had several other friends and family who were all in the same boat!

I of course jumped in at that point and said not to believe those figures as they were based on

ASKING PRICES and the only figures she should trust were LAND REGISTRY.

I also then explained to them both lots of things I have gleaned on here.

1. Media are in BUY TO LET so need to report Market doing well.

2 Figures can be 'scewed' "seasonally adjusted etc.

3. The potential SIPS fiasco could have had an impact.

I then asked them both could they afford to buy their homes now.

They both admitted that even on their present salaries they could not !

(they are both 'older' ladies who hubbies have got good jobs so earn good money).

We then quite a debate about the housing market and I think they both saw the light.

Both of them said they could not see themselves selling in the near future.

I made it quite clear to them that they would sell if they reduced the price satisfactorily.

Well we will see !

You are a nugget of anocdotal stories, random chit-chat, and no doubt gossip. :lol::lol::lol::D

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Surely if house prices are going up, then any house coming on the market, in any condition, will sell to someone and quickly??

As I see it, the only situations in which houses don't sell is when supply outstrips demand, or when there's a downturn (or full-blown crash) on the not too distant horizon...

Hmmmmmmm, wonder which one it could be???

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The media are mostly in LONDON where there seems to be annoyingly rampant HPI at the moment.

They're reporting average UK figures (distorted by London). They don't question the figures because on the ground in London they have seen a pick up, compared to last year, when no-one could sell their house.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Winners and Losers

What, not the Titantic?

Sorry, yes. The bulls would say the gravy boat!

Not many survivors were there? Once more, you've opened the door......

Sorry, yes. The bulls would say the gravy boat!

Not many survivors were there? Once more, you've opened the door......

Sorry Horace, 'was there?'

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

So, the reality on the ground is very different from the appearances in the media. Who'd have thought it?

Did you also mention that Rightmove is about to float on the stock market, and therefore they have a huge vested interest in making the market look buoyant?

frugalista

peoples opinions are not as bullish as they were 6-8months ago... but I still don't think the majority have turned bearish yet.

HOLA4419