Realistbear

House Prices In Bath Now About 10 Times Salaries

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.js...&folderPk=89096

11:00 - 22 February 2006

House prices in Bath are
continuing to boom
, according to property experts. That may be
good news for some
, but for others trying to get into the housing market, it is a real problem. Matthew Pardo looks at what is being done to help some of the most valued members of the community set up home here
Climbing on to the property ladder in Bath is not an easy task.
Prices are rising
, and estimates from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors suggests that the average home in the city now costs £184,600.
Unfortunately, the
runaway house price increases have not been matched by salary increases
, which means thousands of people desperate to set up home in the city, where many of them have grown up, are being priced out of the market.
So what is being done to help?
Any new housing development over a certain size submitted to Bath and North East Somerset Council has to have an element of cheaper housing reserved exclusively for those in certain 'key' sectors - such as the fire service, police or health workers.

At least if they can build mass housing for "key workers" Bath will be able to retain emergency services. This might be a good policy for the rest of Britain--to build cheap "dormitory" housing for nurses, teachers, dustmen etc. so that essential services are not lost as young people and the lower paid are priced out of buying their own homes? The Russians did this under Stalin where mass public building schemes provided homes for the poorer people who had no hope off breaking into the "elite" of communist culture. This may well feature in Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown's budget speech coming up.

Edited by Realistbear

This might be a good policy for the rest of Britain--to build cheap "dormitory" housing for nurses, teachers, dustmen etc. so that essential services are not lost as young people and the lower paid are priced out of buying their own homes?

And, uh, what about the people who work to pay the wages of those 'essential service' workers? We're going to live six to a room in slums so that some teacher or cop can get a subsidised house?

Screw that.

And, uh, what about the people who work to pay the wages of those 'essential service' workers? We're going to live six to a room in slums so that some teacher or cop can get a subsidised house?

Screw that.

My sentiments exactly.

Screw that.

Quite, these people are reasonably well paid already, why should they be more favourably treated than other non-government employees.

Its clear that the government has only grasped half of the problem. "Key workers" are struggling to buy, this is true however it is not because they are underpaid, it is because everybody under 40 is in the same boat, house prices are too high!

Screw that.

Under NuLabour yes.

For their vision is of a Statist Economy wherein the majority either work for the State directly, or indirectly for a Private Sector that increasingly relies on State contracts.

Quote ''At least if they can build mass housing for "key workers" Bath will be able to retain emergency services. This might be a good policy for the rest of Britain--to build cheap "dormitory" housing for nurses, teachers, dustmen etc. so that essential services are not lost as young people and the lower paid are priced out of buying their own homes?''

This term 'Key Workers' really pisses me off...

Every worker can be considered to be a key worker ...

If there were no Tyre Fitters in a town how would a cop or ambulace driver cope..

Scrap the term 'Key Workers' and give all employees including those in the private sector a fair chance to buy a property at a fair price

:angry:

Quite, these people are reasonably well paid already, why should they be more favourably treated than other non-government employees.

Its clear that the government has only grasped half of the problem. "Key workers" are struggling to buy, this is true however it is not because they are underpaid, it is because everybody under 40 is in the same boat, house prices are too high!

Yep. I remember some time back when John Prescott made my blood boil with his nausiating proclamation that affordable housing should be built for 'low paid' workers such as Nurses and Teachers. Low paid compared to him perhaps, but their starting salary is more than I'm on now after more than ten years in full-time employment.

Edited by Bingley Bloke

Under NuLabour yes.

For their vision is of a Statist Economy wherein the majority either work for the State directly, or indirectly for a Private Sector that increasingly relies on State contracts.

The more you look at it, the more it is obvious that new labour is a sham. At heart they still believe in nationalising huge swathes of the economy, fundamentally they distrust anybody in the private sector and only respect "public servants" on the state's payroll.

Of course once new labour has successfully eliminated all private enterprise in the UK there will be nothing left to pay the taxes to fund the government, but that's ok, isn't it? :unsure:

Yep. I remember some time back when John Prescott made my blood boil with his nausiating proclamation that affordable housing should be built for 'low paid' workers such as Nurses and Teachers. Low paid compared to him perhaps, but their starting salary is more than I'm on now after more than ten years in full-time employment.

From what I've seen nurses start on around £18K and can quite quickly and easily move into the mid £20K bracket which is average wage territory. Police is even higher and fireman earn above average wages at around £30K and have spare time to work 2nd jobs.

And let's not forget they don't have to contribute any savings to their pension either.

My sentiments exactly.

the old key worker issue again!................some of these people eg teachers and policemen get paid more than double what bakers and shopworkers and cleaners get paid........so where are the latter going to live?

Rightmove?

If I could be bothered I'd send them an email with the Land Registery figures. Somehow I don't think they would report the truth though, do you?

Edited by othello

If I could be bothered I'd send them an email with the Land Registery figures. Somehow I don't think they would report the truth though, do you?

You never know--some papers like to see themselves are investigative journalists. Many just rely on whatever news story comes out on AP/Reuters etc without checking sources. If the paper has a large property section they might not touch it as they are a VI with big paying EAs as customers.

I've just been bothered and written to them!

It will be interesting to see the reply. I have emailed Rightmove for an explanation of their 128 million pound semis and if these skewed their "property flying off the shelves" report earlier this week.

Of course once new labour has successfully eliminated all private enterprise in the UK there will be nothing left to pay the taxes to fund the government, but that's ok, isn't it? :unsure:

You don't need enterprise, you can create wealth through debt and ever increasing asset bubbles.

You don't need enterprise, you can create wealth through debt and ever increasing asset bubbles.

Sadly Tony Bliar & co seem to agree with you. :angry: