House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sm9ai

Rental Increase/decrease

Hi,

Firstly I'm new so Hello Everyone!

Anyway, I the place I'm renting came to the end of the 12 month tenancy and we had been told that after 12 months the price would increase. Fair enough, but I will haggle it. :D

So anyway during the tenancy I made a note of all the times things went wrong and how it took them ages to fix stuff to add to my price negotiation.

Anyway the time came and we said we would go for a six month contract as we were thinking of buying soon. (We are not, just didn't want to be tied in to the place - and even said we could move out earlier with no penalty if we wanted :) ) So after we had told them this they were more desperate for us to stay and their was no mention of the promised price increase. So we signed a new contract at the same price. Which I thought was great.

But now I'm thinking, if it was so easy to keep the price the same, should I have tried to negotiate the price down? Has anyone tried this whilst renting?

Guest Winners and Losers

Hi,

Firstly I'm new so Hello Everyone!

Anyway, I the place I'm renting came to the end of the 12 month tenancy and we had been told that after 12 months the price would increase. Fair enough, but I will haggle it. :D

So anyway during the tenancy I made a note of all the times things went wrong and how it took them ages to fix stuff to add to my price negotiation.

Anyway the time came and we said we would go for a six month contract as we were thinking of buying soon. (We are not, just didn't want to be tied in to the place - and even said we could move out earlier with no penalty if we wanted :) ) So after we had told them this they were more desperate for us to stay and their was no mention of the promised price increase. So we signed a new contract at the same price. Which I thought was great.

But now I'm thinking, if it was so easy to keep the price the same, should I have tried to negotiate the price down? Has anyone tried this whilst renting?

Welcome to HPC! I think it is human nature to think that way. I think you did well. It is obviously NOT time to raise the rents, yet! :)

I have successfully managed to negotiate a reduction in rent (only by 5% but still). Did it by pointing out that rents in the city had fallen that much over the previous year, and pointed out several similar properties going for the proposed new rent.

This was especially impressive as we'd been arsey tenants, we'd kept the place in perfect nick and paid on time but there were a lot of maintenance issues that came up.

Probably could have gotten him down 5% further if I'd haggled harder!