House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JBFTB

Bad Debt At Barclaycard

Don't be caught short by Barclays

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-lo...52&in_page_id=9

Barclaycard, the UK's largest credit card company with more than 9m customers, recently reduced its interest-free period by six days.
Barclaycard is not alone in discriminating against prudent credit card payers. MBNA caused an outcry last year after it started imposing a £25 annual customers who cleared their balance each month. Officially MBNA refuses to explain its action.

I had an interest charge appear on my Barclaycard last month after I paid off in full, although the date was cutting it fine - it could geniunely have been one day late on the payment. So I'm letting that go. However, this month I have been sure to pay off in full several days before the due date. We'll see what happens.

Might switch back to student mode, and go on the debit card.

Guest The_Oldie

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-lo...52&in_page_id=9

I had an interest charge appear on my Barclaycard last month after I paid off in full, although the date was cutting it fine - it could geniunely have been one day late on the payment. So I'm letting that go. However, this month I have been sure to pay off in full several days before the due date. We'll see what happens.

Might switch back to student mode, and go on the debit card.

Or set up a Direct Debit ;).

Or set up a Direct Debit ;).

I heard nasty stories about that on here a couple of weeks ago....

Like they don't take the full amount or something?

Erm is that a problem?

Yes if it's true they only take the minimum!

Sorry I am potentially spreading misinformation.

My high street bank charged me £168 last month for various dealings.

A massive hike in charges.

I can't help feeling like they are trying to claw some returns for the balance sheet.

Yes if it's true they only take the minimum!

Sorry I am potentially spreading misinformation.

I assume you say when you set it up... although if they're tricky soandsos then they probably change the rules all the time.

I'm sacking Barclays off anyway. Mainly because I'm pissed off with the attitude of the staff at my local branch.

They don't give a shit about my Internet banking: I can't access it. I've forgotten a password. The Indian call centre didn't do what I wanted. They didn't reset ALL of the passwords, just the PIN.

They were obstructive for transferring money to a building society.

They wanted to make a CHAPS charge to transfer a large amount of money to another provider's savings account. It's not my fault Barclays had shit savings accounts. Transferring via internet banking doesn't cost a supplementary charge.

I had a Barclaycard complaint. They didn't care about that either, even though the Barclaycard statement says that branch staff will be happy to help. They're not.

Stuff 'em.

With Smile now. No problems with the bank staff because I use their internet banking ;) , which does everything I want, and just works.

Edited by megaflop

I have a direct debit to pay off my Barclaycard balance in full every month. I have to say that I've done this for about 5 years now and never had a single problem. They do take the DD payment quite a long time before the payment date though, so if you're trying to squeeze every last drop of free credit out of them, this is the disadvantage.

- a Barclays employee stole my credit card once and went on a spending binge (true!) - but that is another story!

Guest Guy_Montag

I'm sacking Barclays off anyway. Mainly because I'm pissed off with the attitude of the staff at my local branch.

They don't give a shit about my Internet banking: I can't access it. I've forgotten a password. The Indian call centre didn't do what I wanted. They didn't reset ALL of the passwords, just the PIN.

They wanted to make a CHAPS charge to transfer a large amount of money to another provider's savings account. It's not my fault Barclays had shit savings accounts. Transferring via internet banking doesn't cost a supplementary charge.

I had a Barclaycard complaint. They didn't care about that either, even though the Barclaycard statement says that branch staff will be happy to help. They're not.

Stuff 'em.

With Smile now. No problems with the bank staff because I use their internet banking ;) , which does everything I want, and just works.

I'm with smile too. I thought they were good, until someone cloned my card: they were in touch within a day (before anything showed up on my statement) to let me know they thought there was a problem, refunded all the purchases made & generally sorted it all out, all between Christmas & New Year. Now I think they are excellent. :)

[/i].

I've had numerous problems moving money around with Barclays . Only last week I wanted to move a large amount but the call centre insisted I did it over 2 days as I could only move so much per day. I could move even less with the online banking system. Then their fraud squad phoned us the next day but wouldn't discuss details of the transaction :blink: .The bastewards! I've had problems in the branch too and now they have the cheek to close my local branch.

I hadn't seen this when I posted the following this afternoon but I think that other card companies are now going to follow suit.

I've had my bank statement this week and it's listed the increase in its charges. Quell suprise! it's Barclays.

Also I had a letter from a credit card company announcing that their charges for balance transfers will be increasing from 2% to 3%. This might not be a huge increase, obviously depends on how much you're transferring but I can't actually recall having had this particular notice of increase from a credit card company ever.

These might be for small amounts but it all feels significant to the bigger picture after all 'every little hurts'. With an increase in council tax, gas and electricity prices and now these little extras surely it's going to be like a dripping tap for some people which eventually turns into a pool.

Has anyone else seen evidence of these increases lately? Are the credit card companies starting to tighten up? Will these increases effect 'affordability' over time and reduce borrowing?