House Price Crash Forum

Poll Time So No Bubble Has Ever Not Burst.

apom

HOLA441
Guest Winners and Losers

I thought I'd already implied that in the 'nasty' reply...

Oh well, bully for you. You know, you should get some BTL's before the prices go up even more. Now is the time to buy. I'm thinking about off loading the two man tent - downsizing you see.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

>>>. apom

`Have you paid for your house then..?

unquote.

apom, my clotted cream tea friend, why do you add `then` to your question?

i.e.

Have you paid for your house then..?

Why not `Have you paid for your house?

horace. :D

HOLA443
Guest Winners and Losers

>>>. apom

unquote.

i.e.

Oh stop it!

HOLA444

>>>. apom

unquote.

i.e.

Jeez. English grammar and meaning is changed every day by the people that use it, including apom.

Waht the hlel is the pnoit of aruging abuot it? If you can understand that, surely you can understand the meaning of "No Bubble Has Ever Not Burst". I thought this site wasn't not about house prices? :lol:

Edited by Adam

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Winners and Losers

>>>winners and losers

`Oh stop it`!

Or is it `Oh stop it then!`

h ;)

Neither - its 'Not, oh stop it then, then' ;) Right back atcha H.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Winners and Losers

Have you considered trading in the tent for a portaloo? Problem solved.

Ummmm, Nooo. Hole in the ground costs nothing. Der?

You are naughty WAP, but I like it...... ;)

HOLA449

>> adam

You are correct, the English language does change that is why it is dynamic and progressive medium unlike the French language which is confined in a straight jacket but the prostitution of our language by apom and others must be resisted their `standard` of English usage is beyond the pale.

`NO Bubble` F FS

Why not `bubbleless` or `there is not a bubble` but to say `no bubble` is to reduce the English language to the gutter.

horace

HOLA4410
Guest Winners and Losers

>> adam

You are correct, the English language does change that is why it is dynamic and progressive medium unlike the French language which is confined in a straight jacket but the prostitution of our language by apom and others must be resisted their `standard` of English usage is beyond the pale.

`NO Bubble` F FS

Why not `bubbleless` or `there is not a bubble` but to say `no bubble` is to reduce the English language to the gutter.

horace

YAWN

HOLA4411

>>Winners and Losers

`YAWN.` you said.

Of the two I would suggest you are loser or should express it another way? Perhaps `Winners and Losers` is not a winner.

horace :D

HOLA4412
Guest Winners and Losers

>>Winners and Losers

`YAWN.` you said.

Of the two I would suggest you are loser or should express it another way? Perhaps `Winners and Losers` is not a winner.

I am a winner AND a loser, hence the name. So, I am perfectly placed to provide a balanced view as I can see both sides of the coin and do not blindly believe that prices never go down, not, then. If it makes you happy though, call me a loser. That is fine by me. I would suggest you are slightly 'retentive', if I may kind Sir?

HOLA4413

w+l

`...and do not blindly believe that prices never go down, not, then. `

unquote

It would appear that you have also achieved a grade`A` GCSE English qualification.

``not, then`

FFS.

HOLA4414
Guest Winners and Losers

w+l

`...and do not blindly believe that prices never go down, not, then. `

unquote

It would appear that you have also achieved a grade`A` GCSE English qualification.

``not, then`

FFS.

And you obviously can't see a piss take when it is staring you in the face. Stop picking on me! :(

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I am a winner AND a loser, hence the name. So, I am perfectly placed to provide a balanced view as I can see both sides of the coin and do not blindly believe that prices never go down, not, then. If it makes you happy though, call me a loser. That is fine by me. I would suggest you are slightly 'retentive', if I may kind Sir?

W&L, pendantry is, IMTHO simply an excuse for having no content. Anyway, you seem pretty balanced, and a nice person - just ignore him.

Horace, BE NICE!

HOLA4419
Guest Winners and Losers

W&L, pendantry is, IMTHO simply an excuse for having no content. Anyway, you seem pretty balanced, and a nice person - just ignore him.

Horace, BE NICE!

Yeah, play nicely Horace. You have been told!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

>>> duke.

Oh dear, oh dear.

It would appear from your post that you, `apom` and `look to the past` have obtained a grade `A` GCSE English under `Nu` Labour.

May I ask you a question?

What is a `no bubble`? I know what a `bubble` is but I am perplexed by a `no bubble` and to quote your post, above, what on earth is a `no criminal`?

horace.

ps I look forward to your reply! :D

Presumably you also struggle to understand the phrase, "time waits for no man", "there's no business like show business", "there's no place like home" and "no man is an island". I could go on.

I used to be a language pedant, but then I got an education and lost the chip on my shoulder.

HOLA4423

Presumably you also struggle to understand the phrase, "time waits for no man", "there's no business like show business", "there's no place like home" and "no man is an island". I could go on.

I used to be a language pedant, but then I got an education and lost the chip on my shoulder.

where there is no argument to counter yours it is simple to pick holes in someone elses English..

If people paid perhaps less attention to that sort of thing and more to simple economics..

Anyway I digress..

Someone once said that Predicting a downturn in the housing market after the biggest boom hardly gets you nominated for a Nobel prize in Economics..

Behind the insolvency statistics

The insolvency statistics for the final quarter of 2005 caused quite a stir when they were released at the beginning of February.

Individuals

The press picked up on the continuing and almost exponential rise in the level of personal insolvencies. In 2005 67,580 people either went bankrupt or entered into an individual voluntary arrangement. This was an increase of 45% on the previous year. This understates the true picture in that the quarterly number increased from 13,600 in the first quarter of 2005 to 20,500 in the last quarter. All looks set for another record breaking year in 2006.

It is interesting to look at the split between bankruptcies and IVAs: whilst bankruptcy numbers are growing steadily the number of IVAs showed an increase of 117% between the last quarters of 2004 and 2005. This huge rise in the number of IVAs is to some extent surprising:unless a person has a particular reason to avoid bankruptcy, such as a need to continue working in the financial sector, it is likely that the bankruptcy regime will be easier in terms of both level of contributions out of income and the period for which those contributions have to be made than is the case in IVAs. Whilst a bankrupt's income is vulnerable for a three year period it is usual for IVAs to run for five years.

It is perhaps encouraging that debtors are keen to maximise the return to creditors through the IVA process. It may also reflect the reality that homes can sometimes be protected in an IVA when they would be lost in bankruptcy.

The personal insolvency numbers clearly reflect growing distress and over borrowing both on unsecured loans and on mortgages. Re-possessions also showed a dramatic increase during 2005.

Companies

Given the importance of consumer spending to the country's economy, you would expect to see evidence of financial distress amongst consumers reflected in business failure rates. So what do the statistics show?

The quarterly number of company insolvencies from the beginning of 2001 onwards is charted below:

This shows an entirely different picture to the growing number of personal insolvencies. The general trend for companies is downwards from the end of 2003, although there was a blip upwards in the second quarter of 2005.

It is interesting to focus particularly on the "other corporate" numbers which have remained relatively constant within the range of 650 to 950 a quarter. This category comprises administrations, receiverships and company voluntary arrangements. These will tend to be the larger cases. It is therefore clear that there is no dramatic upward trend in terms of the number of large corporate failures.

Prospects for 2006?

The general view is that corporate insolvencies are very likely to increase during 2006. This is not only as a result of pressure on consumers, as evidenced by the soaring personal insolvency numbers, but also reflects concerns such as significant energy price increases and, particularly for larger companies, pension scheme deficits.