House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Victims Of The Vi Media 'good News' House Price Inflation

<snip

David Hencke

Tuesday February 21, 2006

The number of families and single people waiting to get a council or housing association home has reached a record level of 1.5 million - a rise of 450,000 in three years, according to the latest figures released from Whitehall.

Yesterday the GMB union, which represents thousands of low paid workers, called for more council houses to be built to ease the plight of the poorest families.

One of the worst examples is Sheffield, where there are 72,604 people waiting for homes in a city where there are only 62,504 council and housing association properties.

In Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, there are 9,784 households on a waiting list in a town where there are 8,975 homes. A similar situation exists in Fylde, Lancashire (2784 on the list, 2288 properties) and Restormel, Cornwall (4702 waiting,4299 properties). The fifth place is unsurprisingly the City of London where there are 1204 on the waiting list for 679 properties.

Other towns and cities which have high waiting lists are Blackpool, Poole in Dorset, the Isle of Wight, Warrington, Scarborough, Great Yarmouth, Blackburn and Rotherham.

Those with the lowest waiting lists include North Hertfordshire and the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham and Southwark.

>

http://society.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1714820,00.html

I highlighted Poole in Dorset as it is one of the expensive areas in the country seeing record increases in HPI over the last 5 years. The average wage is low by southern standards.

I firmly believe a big reduction is required in the Bournemouth and Poole areas otherwise many wannabe FTBers will just leave the area in droves.

Then the area will lose any youthfulness it has and be turned in a preserve for rich London families and retired folk!!

Edit: The labour party should be disgusted by this. They have encouraged rampant consumer borrowing at the expense of the most needy in our society. Hollow policies which have done little for developing dynamic industries in this country of ours. It is quite sickening really.

Edited by Shamus

Guest Bart of Darkness
One of the worst examples is Sheffield, where there are 72,604 people waiting for homes in a city where there are only 62,504 council and housing association properties.

I must admit that this surprises me as I live in a block of six flats, only three of which are currently occupied.

One has been vacant for at least 18 months now.

(Maybe the council has plans to knock the place down? :o )

I firmly believe a big reduction is required in the Bournemouth and Poole areas otherwise many wannabe FTBers will just leave the area in droves.

Then the area will lose any youthfulness it has and be turned in a preserve for rich London families and retired folk!!

Sure, but where will they go? Where in the UK are there reasonable jobs and houses that can be bought on ordinary wages?

Edited by munro

Next phase...the last gasp of the housing inflation.

NL will start bringing in incentives for people to move out of council homes.

It happened last time and it is already starting to happen now as some LA's are offering protable discounts (the discount you would have got on the council house if you bought it can be used to buy a house on the open market)

We may also see a recalculation of the 'points system' with more points given for undercrowding helping single people move out of family homes and into flats if they want to.

Oh.. I also agree with Shamus. New Labour should be ashamed of themselves. I have learnt to accept lies, spin and waffle from political parties but never did I ever think I would witness such breathtaking hypocracy as I see in NL now.

Tax second homes

Tax empty homes (% of the value for every month it stands empty)

Invest the money from council house sales back into building more council homes

Cap rents and link the rental value to the size of the property (per square foot)

Regulate Estate Agents

Make a statement...Nl should be making it perfectly clear that the tax payer will not be bailing out the banks or people who have taken on reckless mortgages when it all goes t1its up.

We have public education adverts on TV about how to cross a road, don't play near lakes, fit a smoke alarm etc etc ...we need one now on finances/mortgages

Tax second homes

Tax empty homes (% of the value for every month it stands empty)

Invest the money from council house sales back into building more council homes

Cap rents and link the rental value to the size of the property (per square foot)

Regulate Estate Agents

Make a statement...Nl should be making it perfectly clear that the tax payer will not be bailing out the banks or people who have taken on reckless mortgages when it all goes t1its up.

We have public education adverts on TV about how to cross a road, don't play near lakes, fit a smoke alarm etc etc ...we need one now on finances/mortgages

That's what should happen. NL don't have the balls to implment that as the whole economy is built on the housing pyramid.

Anyone remember the Albanian pyramid?

I must admit that this surprises me as I live in a block of six flats, only three of which are currently occupied.

(Maybe the council has plans to knock the place down? :o )

They've had reports of some bearded oracle wondering the streets fortelling stories of the impending apocalypse, the end of oil, economic distress and the collapse of the housing market... and the world running out of pot noodles (especially the nice flavours). Aside from that the area is quite nice, if you discount the biological weapons lab and abandoned reactor. :ph34r: