House Price Crash Forum
quangolicious

Sure Sign Of Recession?

I seem to remember reading that pharmaceuticals and chocolate companies do very well in recessions.

"[Cadburys] underlying pre-tax profits rose 13% to £873m ($1.5bn) in the year to 1 January, as sales rose 7% to £6.51bn."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4735036.stm

Thorntons aren't doing very well, but maybe that's just because they're ****.

Surely it's the thorntons/cadburys index which should fall in a recession

Depends, people buy little things to cheer themselves up, that's why cosmetics is largely recession proof. Not able to MEW for that new 4x4? Oh well, just have a nice rest on your DFS sofa and eat a Dairy Milk.

Isn't there an index somewhere that measures inflation in Mars Bars?

would love to see that index :) i remember my dad saying he used to use mars bars as a personal way of measuring inflation. The cost of mars bars has rocketed recently, even after they reduced there size in 2002!

a mars bar 1979 cost 15p

would love to see that index :) i remember my dad saying he used to use mars bars as a personal way of measuring inflation. The cost of mars bars has rocketed recently, even after they reduced there size in 2002!

a mars bar 1979 cost 15p

Yes, I'd like to find the details on the Mars bar index as I can remember that being quoted in a radio programme some 10 years ago.

It's something along the lines of how many Mars bars could you buy for the cost of anything at any time.You then have a measure of inflation of anything.

Somehow the cost of Mars bars is, or maybe now was, a constant.

Yes, I'd like to find the details on the Mars bar index as I can remember that being quoted in a radio programme some 10 years ago.

It's something along the lines of how many Mars bars could you buy for the cost of anything at any time.You then have a measure of inflation of anything.

Somehow the cost of Mars bars is, or maybe now was, a constant.

How's this? - mars bar index

Half way down it shows a typical graduate starting salary in the 40's was about 33k mars bars, in 2004 it was 54k mars bars. Maybe mars bar prices aren't all that constant, either that or graduates earn a lot more now relative to other mars bar buyers?

Edited by spleeper

How's this? - mars bar index

Half way down it shows a typical graduate starting salary in the 40's was about 33k mars bars, in 2004 it was 54k mars bars. Maybe mars bar prices aren't all that constant, either that or graduates earn a lot more now relative to other mars bar buyers?

Fantatic :) Thanks :) Mars bars were reduced in size in 2002, so the last figure whould probably be adjusted up by the size reduction down. It would be nice to see the cost of houses against mars bars, preferably with more granularity, especially if a mars bar holds its value with time/is a good indicator of purchasing power.

Edited by moosetea

Can't remember who said this, but a while ago someone said that this would happen as things start to get tough.

People buy chocolate to cheer themselves up, but not the expensive stuff, which tanks. :lol::lol:

Whoever said that deserves a big pat on the back cos with this news about Cadurys and Thorntons, they were spot on.

Fantatic :) Thanks :) Mars bars were reduced in size in 2002, so the last figure whould probably be adjusted up by the size reduction down. It would be nice to see the cost of houses against mars bars, preferably with more granularity, especially if a mars bar holds its value with time/is a good indicator of purchasing power.

Thanks to those who found the references. I wonder if there's a larger index or at least a list of the Mars bar prices over time.

Ah yes, I remember the size reduction, presumably to keep the price constant, relatively speaking.

So there's now a "weight reduction adjustment" to be factored in.

Which is what?

Does that then restore the validity of this index?