House Price Crash Forum
Badlad1967

Vanessa Feltz - Today's Daily Express

Quickly glanced through the Daily Express today and Vanessa Feltz has written about HP's breaking through the £200K barrier - the article is very bearish and I enjoyed reading it. Can't find a link - SORRY!!!!

She mentions about how parents are having to MEW to help their kids get "on the ladder" and that purchasing a house will soon no longer be an option for future generations.

She also asks for some "financial guru" to expain another scenario.

How's about we all help her out? I have a very busy day at work today but if we all put forward a few ideas for Vanessa, I don't mind corrdinating a response on behalf of HPC (or one of the mods can do it?)

IMPO we need some very clear points and no jargon - stuff that the average person in the street will understand. Something to make the penny drop.

If Vanessa follows up on this we could get a great deal of positive exposure....

Thoughts???

Guest Winners and Losers

Quickly glanced through the Daily Express today and Vanessa Feltz has written about HP's breaking through the £200K barrier - the article is very bearish and I enjoyed reading it. Can't find a link - SORRY!!!!

She mentions about how parents are having to MEW to help their kids get "on the ladder" and that purchasing a house will soon no longer be an option for future generations.

How's about we all help her out? I have a very busy day at work today but if we all put forward a few ideas for Vanessa, I don't mind corrdinating a response on behalf of HPC (or one of the mods can do it?)

IMPO we need some very clear points and no jargon - stuff that the average person in the street will understand. Something to make the penny drop.

If Vanessa follows up on this we could get a great deal of positive exposure....

Thoughts???

Perfect, as she also has a great pair of knockers.

Thoughts???

If bears want someonen in the meeja on their side, does it have to be someone like Vanessa Feltz? Sheesh! Next people will be quoting Basil Brush like he's an authority if he makes a joke about MEW-ing his burrow.

Billy Shears

If bears want someonen in the meeja on their side, does it have to be someone like Vanessa Feltz? Sheesh! Next people will be quoting Basil Brush like he's an authority if he makes a joke about MEW-ing his burrow.

Billy Shears

Point being that she is well-known. If you don't think she's appropriate, then please feel free not to contribute... :P

Oh you haven't! There we go then :lol:

I just sent the following to: expressletters@express.co.uk

Many thanks to Vanessa for her interesting article on the state of the housing market today.

The following link is to a light hearted quiz on property, yet raises serious questions on the currently high house prices in the UK.

http://www.parkerchris.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/millionaire.htm

Many thanks,

Point being that she is well-known. If you don't think she's appropriate, then please feel free not to contribute... :P

Oh you haven't! There we go then :lol:

So we have the double standard again. People like Kirsty Aslop are attacked (correctly) on their background making them unqualified to make serious statements on the future of the housing market. But if someone comes out with a bearish comment, it doesn't matter if they have the intellectual capabilities of a drugged frog, it's a good thing?

Billy Shears

Euch. Stop it. :blink:

The message I think needs to come across to Joe Public now is simply this:

'IS HOUSE PRICE INFLATION A GOOD THING?'

Why do so many people enjoy perpetuating the myth that HPI is a good thing? The Independent's 'good news' headlines last year stating that house prices were going back up aimed to satisfy home owners, but do these home owners ever sit down and think about buying a bigger place? And how much more they'll have to pay for it if HPI continues? And what of their kids?

A naturally fluctuating market will benefit everyone, not one that is in a bubble, further inflated to appease those who seek a short-term, paper profit feel-good factor.

Property has become too much about investment and not about a place to live.

So we have the double standard again. People like Kirsty Aslop are attacked (correctly) on their background making them unqualified to make serious statements on the future of the housing market. But if someone comes out with a bearish comment, it doesn't matter if they have the intellectual capabilities of a drugged frog, it's a good thing?

Billy Shears

I'm no great fan of Vanessa Feltz but the one thing she does have in her favour is a demonstrably sharp intellect that she uses to work the media to a very high level of success. There are far worse advocates out there for us... the question is, is there anyone better?

Billy Shears

Well she can't be much worse than Shill and Krusty.

I'm no great fan of Vanessa Feltz but the one thing she does have in her favour is a demonstrably sharp intellect that she uses to work the media to a very high level of success. There are far worse advocates out there for us... the question is, is there anyone better?

People on the side of house prices being overpriced include, if I recall correctly, George Soros, Melvin King, the author of Rich Dad Poor Dad. And wasn't Alvin Hall quite bearish. I'd put all of these ahead of Vanessa Feltz. I have had the misfortune of reading a book by Feltz after I bought it in a cheap remainder book shop. If you think he has a demonstrably sharp intellect, then you must have read something quite different from what I've read. I'm reminded of a comment made by an american official after Regan met Gorbachev. His comment was that after the two of them talking with just interpreters for company that there is no way that Gorbachev could have been unaware of the intellectual limitations of the US president.

Billy Shears

People on the side of house prices being overpriced include, if I recall correctly, George Soros, Melvin King, the author of Rich Dad Poor Dad. And wasn't Alvin Hall quite bearish. I'd put all of these ahead of Vanessa Feltz. I have had the misfortune of reading a book by Feltz after I bought it in a cheap remainder book shop. If you think he has a demonstrably sharp intellect, then you must have read something quite different from what I've read. I'm reminded of a comment made by an american official after Regan met Gorbachev. His comment was that after the two of them talking with just interpreters for company that there is no way that Gorbachev could have been unaware of the intellectual limitations of the US president.

Billy Shears

I think the important point is that the people you mentioned, perhaps with the exception of Alvin Hall, aren't reaching the masses to the same extent. Also, in order to survive in the popular media it's necessary to deliver what is asked (ie dumb down in many cases). I work for a full range of publications from the glossy crap to the high brow. I wouldn't want what I write for mass market to be judged as a marker of my intellect. It pays the bills (very well) that's all. The academic and reference stuff I write isn't nearly as well paid (the glossies subsidise it) but I'd be happier for people to take that as an indication of my intellectual capabilities than the more mainstream stuff. She read English at Cambridge - she's playing the system that's all.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Vanessa Feltz has a phone in programme BBC Radio London Mon-Fri 9-00am to midday. The Topic yesterday was the HM inviting callers for their own stories. Many callers were so pleased to tell her how they bought for peanuts, made a fortune, and for some downsizing and pocketing the difference. Another caller sold her property 75k below valuation to escape repossession as the old man had run off. Managed to clear the debt and now in a four way share purchase. Another caller was a FTB who was finding their mortgage payments a big drain on their income and worried if things went wrong. The other subject was on paying middle class families £700 a month to produce more middle class sprogs.

Vanessa Feltz can really bring on the crocodile tears to court popularity for her show.

Bring back Jon Gaunt who has now completely disappeared from the Radio Waves because he pulled no punches.

I think the important point is that the people you mentioned, perhaps with the exception of Alvin Hall, aren't reaching the masses to the same extent. Also, in order to survive in the popular media it's necessary to deliver what is asked (ie dumb down in many cases). I work for a full range of publications from the glossy crap to the high brow. I wouldn't want what I write for mass market to be judged as a marker of my intellect. It pays the bills (very well) that's all. The academic and reference stuff I write isn't nearly as well paid (the glossies subsidise it) but I'd be happier for people to take that as an indication of my intellectual capabilities than the more mainstream stuff. She read English at Cambridge - she's playing the system that's all.

It turns out that the book I read was possibly an edited version of columns for "She" magazine. So it could fit your model of c r * p that pays the bills as you describe. But I'm still not convinced. A high IQ is something, and someone who gets into Cambridge won't have an IQ of 40. But I'm still hesitant to accept Vanessa Feltz as a first rate mind, as there's more than just IQ in the equation. Even with a high IQ there's the question of ignorance. That is, without the petrol of knowledge even the fastest mental engine doesn't go very fast. "Dr" (ha ha) Gillian McKeith's first degree is a reasonable one, though nothing to do with nutrition. Peter Gabriel strikes me as a clever kind of guy, but on his "Growing up" DVD, he tells the urban legend about crimes tripling during a full moon with a straight face.

As an extreme example, didn't Isaac Newton lose a bundle in the south sea bubble? Or is that another urban legend?

Has Jeremy Paxman ever expressed an opinion on the property market?

Billy Shears

Great in the sense of large (like in Great Dane) rather than in the sense of good.

Yep...Trisha.

:P

It turns out that the book I read was possibly an edited version of columns for "She" magazine. So it could fit your model of c r * p that pays the bills as you describe. But I'm still not convinced. A high IQ is something, and someone who gets into Cambridge won't have an IQ of 40. But I'm still hesitant to accept Vanessa Feltz as a first rate mind, as there's more than just IQ in the equation. Even with a high IQ there's the question of ignorance. That is, without the petrol of knowledge even the fastest mental engine doesn't go very fast. "Dr" (ha ha) Gillian McKeith's first degree is a reasonable one, though nothing to do with nutrition. Peter Gabriel strikes me as a clever kind of guy, but on his "Growing up" DVD, he tells the urban legend about crimes tripling during a full moon with a straight face.

As an extreme example, didn't Isaac Newton lose a bundle in the south sea bubble? Or is that another urban legend?

Has Jeremy Paxman ever expressed an opinion on the property market?

Billy Shears

Yes, I take your point about knowledge, but it could be that she is choosing to show a particular dimension in order to get the columns, which are most definitely the freelancer's bread and butter.

On the issue of the full moon.... its impact is well known to many teachers! Combine that with the wind and early retirement suddenly seems very appealing ;)

Jeremy Paxman... now you're talking... Did you see him on Who Do You Think You Are?

Absolutely 100% agree.

More people will listen to what Feltz has to say than some crusty old economist writing in a broadsheet. There will be no HPC until mainstream meeja start talking about it. We might not like the mass market meeja but they arn't dummies. Like this person says, they are giving their readers what they want.

Yes, I take your point about knowledge, but it could be that she is choosing to show a particular dimension in order to get the columns, which are most definitely the freelancer's bread and butter.

On the issue of the full moon.... its impact is well known to many teachers! Combine that with the wind and early retirement suddenly seems very appealing ;)

When you say "well-known", are you suggesting that this is not a superstition?

Jeremy Paxman... now you're talking... Did you see him on Who Do You Think You Are?

Yes. I've been quite impressed by the selection of people for that show. I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I have seen have mostly been good choices (Paxman, Fry, Horrocks), not know-nothing empty brained celebrities. Bet they'll go and spoil it by hiring Jade Goody for the next series.

Billy Shears

Vanessa Feltz is so huge you could hollow her out and turn her into an 'exciting development of cutting edge executive luxury apartments'.

Please be nice! :)

I'm sure she doesn't need me to defend her but she's been brave in facing weight issues in the public eye. I don't think I'd have that bravery if I were in her position. Besides, didn't she lose a lot of weight?

When you say "well-known", are you suggesting that this is not a superstition?

I know that research has failed to reach a conclusion either way but there is a belief, more prevalent in some staffrooms than others, that the moon does influence behaviour. Interestingly, the new moon is thought to make things worse than a full moon. I'm not certain where I stand on it and have looked at research showing both results, but, as a woman, I have to accept that there may be something in the moon having some influence. The word menstruation is derived from the Latin for month which in turn comes from the Greek for moon and a lot has been written on the impact of the moon on women's cycles. But to say that the moon is definitely controlling behaviour on earth? Well that would be lunacy ;)

Yes. I've been quite impressed by the selection of people for that show. I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I have seen have mostly been good choices (Paxman, Fry, Horrocks), not know-nothing empty brained celebrities. Bet they'll go and spoil it by hiring Jade Goody for the next series.

Billy Shears

Lol! Oh please no!

I know that research has failed to reach a conclusion either way but there is a belief, more prevalent in some staffrooms than others, that the moon does influence behaviour. Interestingly, the new moon is thought to make things worse than a full moon. I'm not certain where I stand on it and have looked at research showing both results, but, as a woman, I have to accept that there may be something in the moon having some influence. The word menstruation is derived from the Latin for month which in turn comes from the Greek for moon and a lot has been written on the impact of the moon on women's cycles. But to say that the moon is definitely controlling behaviour on earth? Well that would be lunacy ;)

I have to admit that I rate the belief in the connection between the full moon and the crime rate at about roughly the same as I rate the belief that house prices can only go up. Not that it is implausible as behaviour can be affected by mental state. But I don't believe that it is true.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astr...rs/970103b.html

Billy Shears