House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pensive

On Bbc World News

I was listening to the World News in the early hours and heard an item about 5 American Ports being taken over by a firm from Saudi Arabia in a multi million deal. This was creating great alarm amongst the Port Authorities as they felt it seriously increased the threat of terrorism. I expected to hear more about this on later news items but not mentioned.

I've put a search on google and nothing came up.

Did I dream this?

No, I read about it somewhere or other as well.

That's a relief

I thought I was going bonkers.

Then I read your postscipt

"I'm not really here, it's just an illusion"

So now I'm not so sure!!

P&O takeover.

I was listening to the World News in the early hours and heard an item about 5 American Ports being taken over by a firm from Saudi Arabia in a multi million deal.

That's wrong on three counts: it's six American ports, the firm is Dubai Ports World from the United Arab Emirates and it's part of a multi-billion deal.

For details see 'Arab firm to operate six ports in U.S.':

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060213/1045736.asp

A company in the United Arab Emirates is poised to take over significant operations at six American ports as part of a corporate sale, leaving a country with ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers with influence over a maritime industry considered vulnerable to terrorism.

The Bush administration considers the UAE an important ally in the fight against terrorism since the suicide hijackings and is not objecting to Dubai Ports World's purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

The $6.8 billion sale is expected to be approved today. The British company is the fourth largest ports company in the world and its sale would affect commercial U.S. port operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.