House Price Crash Forum

'ello 'ello

Long Game

HOLA441

I had to read the editorial in London's Evening Standard about 3 times tonight before I believed what I had seen.

There is this big page 2 article about how they asked the Met whether any of the plods had 2nd jobs. Lots of them do apparently and there were a few particularly unamusing comments about those who owned up to being models etc in their spare time.

Anyhow, in the editorial, a Met spokesman is quoted as blaming the cost of housing for the rise in second jobs. According to the article, police officers earn 30k after 2 years incl London weighting of 6k. (which ain't enough)

The editorial then goes on to assert that "The answer to the housing problem must be greater regional variation in pay to reward those who stay in the capital long term, rather than a culture of taking second jobs".

Excuse me, but I'd have thought the answer to the housing problem would be more simply solved by a reduction in house prices.

Excuse me also if I work such long hours to earn money to keep a (rented) roof over my head that I don't have time to do a second job.

Edited by Long Game