House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ca-uk

Landlord Blatantly Lied To Get Us To Rent - Anything We Can Do?

Hello

We previously rented a house for about 14 months when we noticed a house nearer the gf's mum and decided to take a look.

When being shown round, we made it clear we were looking for a long term let. The landlady (who was living in the house) said definately not a problem as she was looking to let it for a minimum of two years.

Two months into our six months and we get a phonecall from the letting agent to say she wants a surveyor round - keen to state it was for 'mortgage purposes' - i said fine.

However, on friday we found a leak and phoned up to get someone to fix it. Her dad turned up unannounced to fix the problem and it turns out they live 30 secs away - not the 4 miles she had said. This doesn't bother me that much - but why lie?

Anyway, it turns out that her brother has now got rid of his house, and they are getting the house valued so he can buy it to live in - apparently this was the plan all along.

So, obviously at the end of our six months we will be booted out. It was a grave oversight on my part not to ask for a longer contract - but tbh i didn't know you could until looking around in the last few days.

When we moved in we had to pay £70 odd to BT to activate the phone line - she wouldn't make a contribution.

We have also signed up for sky, and broadband. So we will have to pay penalties on all these, along with the costs of moving again.

The surveyor (as they refer to them - in my mind it is going to be an estate agent) is coming round tomorrow, and for some reason she is coming with them.

Anything i can do? Or do i just have to accept being misled by the cow and get on looking for somewhere else?

Also, if i snippety snip the bt line so they have to pay a callout fee to get me some revenge - is this illegal? I don't see why they should now get the phone line she was too cheap to activate.

Thanks

Chris

Do you have anything in writing saying that you were looking for a two year let, or that they were expecting to let it for two years?

If not to be honest you are not in a very strong position I think.

What about writing to your landlady, pointing out that at the beginning of the lease both sides expected it to be for at least two years. You could say that you accept that they have changed their plans, but note that on the basis of the verbal agreement which you had and in good faith, you have signed up for various 12 month minimum items. To compromise would they agree to extend the lease to one year.

I think this should be your first action.

At the very least if you think you are out of pocket at the end of the day you can always deduct an amount from the rent, then it's up to them to chase you for it, which they might not be bothered to do.

Whatever you do, always explain what you are doing in writing, make written records of all verbal exchanges, and don't end up in a situation where the landlord holds any more of your money than necessary.

Of course you should not pay the last period's rent if they hold a deposit and there is nothing wrong with the state of the flat.

frugalista

Hmmm.

Can anyone see a tax benefit for the LL in doing this? Moving the son in then selling?

btp

I think you have to have moved in for a number of years to avoid CGT. Three years is it?

frugalista

Guest Guy_Montag

Here's my tuppence,

Firstly, I'm sorry you've ended up in such a bad situation - in that way renting sucks.

1. get in touch with you broadband provider & sky. Explain the situation, ask if they will not charge you the extra fee if you agree to sign up from your new abode. Or they may refund you once you sign up, or something. But I'm pretty sure they will want your business after you've moved.

2. I wouldn't clip the phone line, I think it belongs to BT even inside the house. If you must do something I would recommend something like catching it on piece of furniture as you move out, which might rip it out the wall.

3. Do you know if your landlady pays income tax on her rent? Perhaps Inland Revenue can will check that out for you.

Just cancel the phone line if you can, let them pay £70 to re-connect it.

Apart from that this is the downside to renting. I'm having to move in the next couple of months 'cos my landlord wants to sell, still plenty more on the market, there an identical house for rent just round the corner from me for rent at the moment.

Oh & selling to son does not get them PPR relief for tax purposes.

Edited by Young Goat

thanks for the advice.

i thought i'd read something about the phone line belonging to bt - don't want to get accused of criminal damage!

does anyone know if the satellite dish i paid for as part of sky installation is mine?

Guest Guy_Montag

thanks for the advice.

i thought i'd read something about the phone line belonging to bt - don't want to get accused of criminal damage!

does anyone know if the satellite dish i paid for as part of sky installation is mine?

I'm afraid you will have to call up sky & ask, but I suspect that it will belong to you, don't forget to take the cable too.

Unfortunately BT only charge if they need to do any significant work to reconnect you, so if you cancel the line they will not charge the new owner to set the line up again. I'm afraid you've lost on this one, still cancel it anyway, just in case I'm wrong.

If the satellite dish is yours and you don't want to take it with you make sure you disable the LNB (the sticky out bit that points towards the dish) If you can reach it wack it hard with a shovel (or something) will cost them a fortune to replace :rolleyes:

Unfortunately BT only charge if they need to do any significant work to reconnect you, so if you cancel the line they will not charge the new owner to set the line up again. I'm afraid you've lost on this one, still cancel it anyway, just in case I'm wrong.

Go ahead and cut the BT line, keeps me in work.. :) BT will just charge the next tennants to have it re-instated. They will not chase you for criminal damage. I know... ;);)

If the satellite dish is yours and you don't want to take it with you make sure you disable the LNB (the sticky out bit that points towards the dish) If you can reach it wack it hard with a shovel (or something) will cost them a fortune to replace :rolleyes:

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/search...SearchQuery=lnb

Yes a "small" fortune.... :lol:

Go ahead and cut the BT line, keeps me in work.. :) BT will just charge the next tennants to have it re-instated. They will not chase you for criminal damage. I know... ;);)

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/search...SearchQuery=lnb

Yes a "small" fortune.... :lol:

What a bunch of W***ERKS!!! Recommending a tenant commit criminal damage. GROW UP!

You give tenants a bad name which makes it harder for them to find quality accommodation which makes them go towards worse housing which gets them treated worse by landlords which..... wash, rinse, repeat.

What a bunch of W***ERKS!!! Recommending a tenant commit criminal damage. GROW UP!

You give tenants a bad name which makes it harder for them to find quality accommodation which makes them go towards worse housing which gets them treated worse by landlords which..... wash, rinse, repeat.

:lol: