piece. Surely this is incredibly relevant since they are hardly going to

send out a press release saying 'Market Struggling', or 'Most

unsustainable housing market ever' are they? Is it now BBC news policy

to simply reproduce press releases of commericial enterprises with no

questions asked?

BBC, the young upstart, they say;

Thanks for your e-mail.

Rightmove is publishing this survey every month; its release is not

related to its proposed stockmarket flotation.

We report the findings of Rightmove surveys only occasionally, when we

believe that they are newsworthy; in this case the rise in asking prices

across the country appears to support the findings of several surveys of

house sale data, which suggest a recovery of the housing market.

We are very discriminating in which house price surveys we report, and

we published this article only after a detailed internal discussion.

Regards,

Tim Weber

Business Editor

BBC News Interactive www.bbc.co.uk/business

My a**e, it say; Oh come on, like this isn't linked to the IPO... for fecks sake!

What planet are they on?

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

Guest Riser

DBT, the wise one, he say;

BBC, the young upstart, they say;

My a**e, it say; Oh come on, like this isn't linked to the IPO... for fecks sake!

What planet are they on?

Nice one DBT :)

They are certainly discriminating in which surveys report, they ignored 18 months of falling prices from Hometrack and only reported the survey when they indicated a rise last December :lol::lol::lol:

We are very discriminating in which house price surveys we report, and

we published this article only after a detailed internal discussion.

Edited by Riser

On a mission at the moment so I'm right back at them;

Dear Mr Weber,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, as always it's very enlightening to hear your side of the story.

However I think you misinterpreted my meaning;

> Rightmove is publishing this survey every month; its release is not

> related to its proposed stockmarket flotation.

I wasn't intimating that the release of the story was related to it's IPO rather that the content of the story was undoubtedly influenced by it's commercial interests in light of it's intention to float. This hardly seems an unreasonable assumption or scandalous assertion hence it is surely worth a mention in the story?

> in this case the rise in asking prices

> across the country appears to support the findings of several

> surveys of house sale data, which suggest a recovery of the

> housing market.

Dare I suggest that a rise in "asking prices" represents more of a response on the part of sellers to recent stories sourced entirely from large national mortgage lenders who always launch a concerted effort at this time of year to drum up business?

A rise in actual sale values would be much more newsworthy however as per your own story "House prices 'fell in late 2005'" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4689954.stm the opposite seems to be happening?

The real thing which irks me about this story is that nowhere do you actually comment at all on the negative effects continued hyperinflation in the housing market is having on people. As a first time buyer I am constantly bemused by the presentation of stories of this ilk as a "good thing". In reality spiraling prices simply mean that people are spending more and more on a basic human need, a roof over our head. If the price of food were to rise in this fashion people would have taken to the streets by now. Instead it seems everyone is sitting at home thinking that tin of beans in the cupboard is worth a fortune now.

Thanks,

[names deleted to protect the indolent]

On a mission at the moment so I'm right back at them;

wonderful. you fab.

i put my own up, although its not very good comparing.....i'm only 20 and english was my worst subject. don't remember the last crash but i did get an A in A-level :D maths so i know how graphs work. especially oscillating ones. i.e. boom and bust. here it is anyway.....

I wrote to you to ask why you were not using the right move reports when their reports were showing falls and you replied "We do not consider right move to be a realistic representation of reporting".

So instead, at the pinnacle of their stock flotation you justify placing their report (even though you “do not consider right move to be a realistic representation of reporting”) that asking prices have risen above 200K as the best contender for your number 1 slot in the business section.

FYI RM works like this.

Asking prices are no indicator of selling prices; they are set by estate agents...which incidentally, estate agents own right move...which incidentally is going for the highest stock floatation possible.

So if I wish to read any future advertising then I will. But I will not be forced to do so by a corporation which charges me the delight of £126 P/A.

would love som tips on improvement. :rolleyes::P:):D

"...when we believe that they are newsworthy..." - you should ask them how they catagorise something as "newsworthy"...

IMO, these figures are an attempt to increase website hits through free coverage by VI media just before the IPO launch

wonderful. you fab.

i put my own up, although its not very good comparing.....i'm only 20 and english was my worst subject. don't remember the last crash but i did get an A in A-level :D maths so i know how graphs work. especially oscillating ones. i.e. boom and bust. here it is anyway.....

I wrote to you to ask why you were not using the right move reports when their reports were showing falls and you replied "We do not consider right move to be a realistic representation of reporting".

So instead, at the pinnacle of their stock flotation you justify placing their report (even though you “do not consider right move to be a realistic representation of reporting”) that asking prices have risen above 200K as the best contender for your number 1 slot in the business section.

FYI RM works like this.

Asking prices are no indicator of selling prices; they are set by estate agents...which incidentally, estate agents own right move...which incidentally is going for the highest stock floatation possible.

So if I wish to read any future advertising then I will. But I will not be forced to do so by a corporation which charges me the delight of £126 P/A.

would love som tips on improvement. :rolleyes::P:):D

Hi Down with the BBC,

Was it you who wrote the original letter asking the BBC why they had failed to publish Rightmove's press releases reporting falls?