House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Its time to buy

Workers Turning To Second Jobs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4729550.stm

"One in four workers in the UK has a second job to help pay off debts or keep up with the everyday cost of living, according to a survey. "

"Paying off debts, saving for a holiday and paying household bills were the main reasons for holding down two jobs. "

I know a few people working a second job - normally weekends at either a supermarket or evenings at a pub or bar. I posted my anedotes somewhere before on here.

I bet you know at least a handful of people doing a second job - though some people may not admit to it.....

have to take surveys with a pinch of salt though - 1000 people isnt a huge sample - plus its how they ask the questions, and the type of people answering the questions.

however - is it something we didnt already know before? Not really surprising I would have thought.

Debt has to be paid back. The last time I checked, most of society still has morales - and would like to pay off their debts than go bankcrupt!

Edited by notanewmember

I'm not quite so sure whether morals has much to do with it nowadays - not wanting to lose someting you wish to keep is probably the biggest prime mover for not going bankrupt.

When you look at the extremes of affordability you now have couples reliant on 4 incomes to pay the bills - highly unstable.

I have an anecdotal in this area.

I have a friend who works in London as a video editor, he earns around the average wage for the south east. He's 30 and fed up with living in an HMO with pissed up Aussies. He wants to buy a 1 bed flat in a not very nice part of London (all he can 'afford') He is now working evenings as a painter and decorator to get a deposit together.

Editing itself tends to involve long hours so I guess he's working every hour god sends, all for a 1 bed flat in crapsville. Last time I saw him he looked like death on legs. "Is it worth it?" it I asked. "What are my other options?" He replied.

"Dunno, Emigrate?"

my gf has two jobs, works 12 hours a night for 5 nights a week, and tops it up with another 20 hours. Interestinly we have spotted a trend, getting a job has got alot harder since last summer, i know several EE friends who havent had work since christmas.

This under a Government supposedly in favour of a correct "work life balance".

I remember hearing Ministers wittering on about this.

The New Labour Nirvana?

'Work life balance'?

Only if you are a public sector worker.

'Work life balance'?

Only if you are a public sector worker.

Er no, not always true.

I'm married to one, a Headteacher and she works very hard.

Much of that a result of endless diktats from on high and the belief of this Government that schools can rectify the ills of society.

LMAO

Seriously people need to a big step back and take stock of their lives.

People say that their friends / family / kids / health are the most important things in their life. Now look at what they say and what they do. I think that you will see a huge difference.

"Hi. I'm working 10 hours a day monday to friday then I work 16 hours over the weekend. I'm doing it for the kids." No you are not. You are doing it for yourself. Your kids would benefit far more from their parents spending time with them rather than the X-Box sitting in their room.

Er no, not always true.

I'm married to one, a Headteacher and she works very hard.

Much of that a result of endless diktats from on high and the belief of this Government that schools can rectify the ills of society.

does she earn more than 50K, if so most who earns over 50k work hard

my gf has two jobs, works 12 hours a night for 5 nights a week, and tops it up with another 20 hours. Interestinly we have spotted a trend, getting a job has got alot harder since last summer, i know several EE friends who havent had work since christmas.

Wouldn't she rather have a life?