House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badhairday

Uk Broker With Online Access To Worldwide Stocks

Hi all,

I have a trading account with Sharecrazy. They are reasonable enough...but I can only purchase stocks online if they are on the LSE. Is there a UK broker who allows online access to worldwide stock markets?

I note that Interactive Brokers, for instance, allows online access to worldwide stock markets, but it is a US broker and I worry that its a hassle sending money to the US and converting my money into Dollars etc.

One more thing, I have bought european stocks with my Sharecrazy account (via phone) but I note that the spreads for buying and selling are rediculous. Are the spread still that large if you are buying and selling online by yourself?

Thanks in advance

I have a similar problem. There's a load of Canada listed stocks I want to get my mucky little hands on.

At the moment tdwaterhouse trading plus account with various extra forms to fill in is the best I have found.

For spread betting deal4free seems to have the biggest range.

I have a similar problem. There's a load of Canada listed stocks I want to get my mucky little hands on.

At the moment tdwaterhouse trading plus account with various extra forms to fill in is the best I have found.

For spread betting deal4free seems to have the biggest range.

Thanks for the tip...... so, do you have a TD waterhouse account. If so, have you been able to purchase the Canada stocks online by yourself?

Thanks for the tip.....

Hi all,

I have a trading account with Sharecrazy. They are reasonable enough...but I can only purchase stocks online if they are on the LSE. Is there a UK broker who allows online access to worldwide stock markets?

I note that Interactive Brokers, for instance, allows online access to worldwide stock markets, but it is a US broker and I worry that its a hassle sending money to the US and converting my money into Dollars etc.

One more thing, I have bought european stocks with my Sharecrazy account (via phone) but I note that the spreads for buying and selling are rediculous. Are the spread still that large if you are buying and selling online by yourself?

Thanks in advance

Hi Interactive Brokers are US based, but if you set up a UK GBP account, you only have to send them funds (in GBP) by BACS to their UK bank account, so there are no extra charges or conversions. I've just applied myself and although the application is long, it's pretty efficient (all online) and you can email scanned proffs of IDs, so less hassle than sending them off in the post. I'll let you know how it goes, but the commission charges should be much cheaper than with my UK broker. Bear in mind they expect you to trade a minimum equivalent $10 in commissions, else they will charge you the difference

Hi Interactive Brokers are US based, but if you set up a UK GBP account, you only have to send them funds (in GBP) by BACS to their UK bank account, so there are no extra charges or conversions. I've just applied myself and although the application is long, it's pretty efficient (all online) and you can email scanned proffs of IDs, so less hassle than sending them off in the post. I'll let you know how it goes, but the commission charges should be much cheaper than with my UK broker. Bear in mind they expect you to trade a minimum equivalent $10 in commissions, else they will charge you the difference

Hi,

Thanks for that, I am just looking at them too. I like the sound of the UK bank a/c and scanned ID docs.

Best regards

Frank

Original poster here.......just wanted to say a quick 'thank you' for all the responses.

I have decided to go for 'Interactive Brokers'. They are cheaper than TD Waterhouse, but they also seem to offer more countries and their website seems a lot more detailed.

cbs7,

Just a quick followup on how it went.

How did you get on setting up an account with IB. Did the UK BACS transfer work ok.

Once you transferred it over, did you end up converting it using IB (IDEAL) to be able to trade US shares?

Hi there, been off the forum for a while, but did my first US trade today. You actually have to change sterling in your account into USD via their forex trading to get USD into your account. It's an additional 2.50USD though their US share trading is ridiculously cheap compared to a UK broker. It's also a bit slow getting funds into the account as you have to do it via BACS. It a very powerful platform though perhaps a little too much for someone with less experience like me. You do get used to it eventually though!

Not sure whether I could wholly recommend it unless you don't mind learning how to trade at least semi-professionally!

Thanks cbs7,

I am trying to find the right intl. broker too. Did you realise that Interactive actually charge a monthly fee as well if you don't pay a lot of comission ? TD Waterhouse seem to have a flat fee and no monthly charges if you do at least one trade per quarter or have some dosh in their account. So that looks attractive. On the other hand Interactive really has some very low fees for trading international, much cheaper then my german broker for when I trade in DE !!

Have you looked at squaregain as well, they also seem to have just a flat fee of 12.50 (like Waterhouse), so they seem attractive too.

I am confused, not sure which one is best. All I want is trade some Junior Miners in Canada !

Thanks cbs7,

I am trying to find the right intl. broker too. Did you realise that Interactive actually charge a monthly fee as well if you don't pay a lot of comission ? TD Waterhouse seem to have a flat fee and no monthly charges if you do at least one trade per quarter or have some dosh in their account. So that looks attractive. On the other hand Interactive really has some very low fees for trading international, much cheaper then my german broker for when I trade in DE !!

Have you looked at squaregain as well, they also seem to have just a flat fee of 12.50 (like Waterhouse), so they seem attractive too.

I am confused, not sure which one is best. All I want is trade some Junior Miners in Canada !

squaregain let me buy (over the phone) some canadian juniors on the venture exchange. same flat fee as UK stocks. minimum trade of 500 quid. pretty straightforward.

Thanks cbs7,

Did you have to apply for a margin facility to be able to use the IDEAL platform for the GBP to USD conversion?

The platform is very powerful, its worth viewing the flash presentations and using the demo system to see how it works.

There is a $10 fee per month if you dont generate $30 worth of commissions (something like that), but when your paying $1 for a trade of 100 shares, compared to most other uk online brokers charging roughly $20 a trade its a bargain.

Still, IB is targeted to frequent traders rather than the occasional investor.