House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

Where Are Rates Going Short To Medium Term (0-12 Months)?

Down. GB will be reluctant to contemplate a rise until he gets his hands on the keys of No.10. Possible on rise on the day he takes power though, like the 97 election.

I am going to have a tenner with Ladbrokes that Gordon does not make it to No. 10.

I am going to have a tenner with Ladbrokes that Gordon does not make it to No. 10.

If not GB, then who? All of the other possible have greater odds than 10-1! Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd like better than an economic catastrophe of such proportions that GB has to resign and is led away tranquilised and weeping but I just can't see it.

If not GB, then who? All of the other possible have greater odds than 10-1! Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd like better than an economic catastrophe of such proportions that GB has to resign and is led away tranquilised and weeping but I just can't see it.

HPC in 2006 and Gordon is out. His entire "economic miracle" has been built on the back of HPI and loose credit allowing MEW and the appearance of wealth. When the sheeple see the "value" of their homes fall and debt remaining GB will be out of favour.

I'd love to say up - but nothing about this economy makes sense to me anymore. At best - flat. At worse - down then up.

I too reckon that Brown will never make it to number 10 (although an alternative candidate is not easy to see either). Like Thatcher, Blair has done a good job of making it seem inconceivable that anyone in the party could replace him (so I'd expect another surprise like Major).

I'd love to say up - but nothing about this economy makes sense to me anymore. At best - flat. At worse - down then up.

I too reckon that Brown will never make it to number 10 (although an alternative candidate is not easy to see either). Like Thatcher, Blair has done a good job of making it seem inconceivable that anyone in the party could replace him (so I'd expect another surprise like Major).

Funny, I've got a sneaking suspicion GB won't make it to no.10. When something is so heavily trailed and expected, it actually very rarely happens. I'd be looking at someone like David Milliband.

As for IRs. Tough one. I think they're going to stay exactly the same even faced with a retail recession. Of course the BOE would love to cut them but so long as the FED keeps hiking,they can't.

One last thing. I'm convinced 2006 is the year when it hits the fan. House prices down by 7%, unemployment relentlessly up, bankruptcies and repos up and the high st. getting hammered. In fact it's happening already. For all you historians out there, I think the turning point was August 2004.

As for IRs. Tough one. I think they're going to stay exactly the same even faced with a retail recession. Of course the BOE would love to cut them but so long as the FED keeps hiking,they can't.

Shemanator, my slip is showing here, what is the FED? My own idea is that they are so desperate to try and control sinking real estate value that the BOE will make one last cut before the sh*t hits the fan, but as I don't understand "the FED" I am missing a potential variable!

Guest wrongmove

The FED is the US equivalent of the UK MPC (monetary policy committee).

i.e. they are responsible for setting US interest rates.

Shemanator, my slip is showing here, what is the FED? My own idea is that they are so desperate to try and control sinking real estate value that the BOE will make one last cut before the sh*t hits the fan, but as I don't understand "the FED" I am missing a potential variable!

Sorry, FED= Federal Reserve of America.

One last cut? You may be right but the die is cast (as Caesar said) and the the first handfuls of a mountain of s*** are hitting the fan NOW.

Boy, it's been a long time coming!