House Price Crash Forum

Who will replace Boris Johnson as Prime Minister?

HOLA441
2 hours ago, Insane said:

Yes but they will have to offer a credible alternative which they don't. It is no good continually pointing out how bad the current government is while not telling the electorate what to expect that would be better. 

I think if Labour get in there won't be much happening in the Commons to change direction and policy's as they will all be on the Picket Lines. I see today Lisa Nandy has joined the picket line with Communications workers strike. No apparently she is just visiting them to show support. She must be careful otherwise she will end up being sacked like Sam Tarry.

John McDonnell has backed calls for a General Strike. Wow there will be so much choice for the Labour MP's they won't know which Picket Line to visit. 

There's some talk of a challenge in the offing against Sir Keith. Nando may have got word of it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
10 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

There's some talk of a challenge in the offing against Sir Keith. Nando may have got word of it.

Lol

I see both parties ripping themselves to pieces in the run up to the next election , they will be fighting with their own colleagues more than they will be debating the other side. 

Labour are being offered a great gift from the Tory's right now to win the next election and they cannot help themselves but fk it up. Then again as I have already said today do Labour want to form the next government ? 

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, Insane said:

Lol

I see both parties ripping themselves to pieces in the run up to the next election , they will be fighting with their own colleagues more than they will be debating the other side. 

Labour are being offered a great gift from the Tory's right now to win the next election and they cannot help themselves but fk it up. Then again as I have already said today do Labour want to form the next government ? 

No, i think they are not ready. £84k a year is enough to sit on the sidelines. 

I think the margins are this. Labour cant afford 1 f*** up before its all over. The Tory's can probably get away with lots more, which is what we've seen play out under Boris' reign. 

Once they take office again, then its like a blank cheque to do what they please.

Blame the electoral system and lack of early year political education i guess. I wonder how many private students are educated in politics before their working career? I don't know so please say if u do.

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

Blame the electoral system and lack of early year political education i guess. I wonder how many private students are educated in politics before their working career? I don't know so please say if u do.

I really don't know what everyone's political education is. What I do know is many ex Labour voters who voted Labour because their parents did and their grand parents did have turned away from Labour. These people are not that interested in Politics but when the subject does come up their answer is No Cannot Vote Labour. 

HOLA446

Liz Truss saying the best way to deal with Nicola Sturgeon is to ignore her 🤦‍♂️

I don’t happen to like Sturgeon either, but she’s our democratically elected first minister with greater backing from the Scottish electorate than the Tories have in England. 

How on earth can Truss think it’s acceptable to say that?

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

Liz Truss saying the best way to deal with Nicola Sturgeon is to ignore her 🤦‍♂️

I don’t happen to like Sturgeon either, but she’s our democratically elected first minister with greater backing from the Scottish electorate than the Tories have in England. 

How on earth can Truss think it’s acceptable to say that?

She is playing to her audience of far right democracy denying lickspittles , it has probably just put another 5% onto the Yes vote. My biggest fear is she ends up making Johnson look credible .

HOLA448
16 hours ago, Insane said:

But you are quite happy to bring more and more people into the country. Then you moan the Government have underfunded the NHS. 

The Government do not fund the NHS the tax payer does , along with all the other services that everyone wants and expects. 

We have more people that require and demand health services because there are more procedures and drugs available now.....years ago there was no medical management, cure or operations available for aliments, deformations and diseases we expect help and assistance for today......;)

HOLA449
16 hours ago, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

after 12 years in Government i think what @msi's was mentioning about blaming labour (previous govt/coalition) for all the problems cant continue to go on. I keep hearing the rhetoric (Boris keeps spluttering it out at PMQs) but over a decade in Government everything is on them now.

They'll need a new line to explain this. I think right now as some others have pointed out here they are now relating it to Global factors RE: supply backlog, Covid-19 and the war in Ukraine.

I expect this will be the excuse that will go forward now until the next GE no matter how bad it gets.

Bailey seems to be in line with them too. Ahh inflation..... what inflation? That's gonna come down soon don't worry. We will increase by 0.25% every meeting to keep the £ ticking.

Yes, you're right.

Given they somehow shifted the entire 2007-09 global recession on Gordon Brown's shoulders as well, I really don't think they can complain at this point. They will though, won't they?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 hours ago, Lucky Larry said:

She is playing to her audience of far right democracy denying lickspittles , it has probably just put another 5% onto the Yes vote. My biggest fear is she ends up making Johnson look credible .

Why are a room full of people cheering and applauding the remark though? 

I don’t understand why the English don’t support Scottish independence when you have public figures like her making remarks like that?! How do expect people in Scotland to react?! It’s outrageously disrespectful.

She’s too ignorant to realise that support for the SNP has been higher than Boris’ record breaking victory 2019 victory, for over 15 years!! 15 years in government up here with a higher vote share, and you have Truss calling the current leader of our government an attention seeker. It’s staggering. 

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, winkie said:

We have more people that require and demand health services because there are more proWecedures and drugs available now.....years ago there was no medical management, cure or operations available for aliments, deformations and diseases we expect help and assistance for today....

We also have millions more people, yet keep adding to the total. If the NHS cannot keep up that shows we need to stop adding to the population.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

And how do we tackle the rising average age and lowering birth rate?

Not by illegal immigration. 

The rising average age has slowed , the lowering birth rate is part of what this site is all about , house prices being to high this has forced many people to have less or no children , they are also having them much later in life. 

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, winkie said:

We have more people that require and demand health services because there are more procedures and drugs available now.....years ago there was no medical management, cure or operations available for aliments, deformations and diseases we expect help and assistance for today......;)

I think it's fair to say that the various NHS's in the UK have lost focus on their primary function. the snake eating it's tail. As the NHS enlarges the scope of it's remit it demands more and more resources until it ends up consuming itself.

Millions of pounds to treat a single childs illness while child mental health support is virtually non-existent in my part of the country and suicide rates rising.

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Why do we need to "tackle" it?

A birth rate greater than replacement is long-term unsustainable, and we've already got far more people in the UK than's good for it.

If the birth rate and death rate are the same (after past trends have shaken themselves out) then the population is stable. If this causes problems  then society's got serious underlying problems that need addressing, not kicking the can down the road by building up bigger problems for the future. Saying otherwise is like saying stable house prices are bad.

If a country can manage a stable population (and one that can't isn't viable anyway) then it can manage a declining one, as long as the rate isn't too rapid. And that's beneficial overall.

If the birth rate is too low then you've got a problem. This isn't the case in the UK.

An ageing population is either a temporary issue due to a previous baby boom (and thus is best dealt with by putting up with the downsides for a relatively short-term, rather than using it to create the same problem further down the line), or it's a fundamental outcome of increasing lifespans, in which case it's something we just need to accept and come to terms with as the norm, because there's no "solution" to that which doesn't involve more problems for the future, or reducing lifespans again, and neither of those should be regarded as solutions.

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, Insane said:

Not by illegal immigration. 

The rising average age has slowed , the lowering birth rate is part of what this site is all about , house prices being to high this has forced many people to have less or no children , they are also having them much later in life. 

"The rising average age has slowed". And how do you think that has happened with a lowering birth rate?

HOLA4419

Truss seems to be trying hard to blow up her lead and campaign with stupid policies that won't actually work:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/01/liz-truss-plan-to-cut-11bn-in-whitehall-waste-ludicrous

I'm all for reducing waste, but I think modernisation needs to take place first.

Truss has just lost the red wall seats.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Just now, AThirdWay said:

Less babies and a higher life expectancy  would mean an accelerating average age. Why do you think it is slowing?

42 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I have already said the below. I don't quite understand the point your trying to make . 

37 minutes ago, Insane said:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Pmax2020 said:

Why are a room full of people cheering and applauding the remark though? 

I don’t understand why the English don’t support Scottish independence when you have public figures like her making remarks like that?! How do expect people in Scotland to react?! It’s outrageously disrespectful.

She’s too ignorant to realise that support for the SNP has been higher than Boris’ record breaking victory 2019 victory, for over 15 years!! 15 years in government up here with a higher vote share, and you have Truss calling the current leader of our government an attention seeker. It’s staggering. 

Her latest idea to cut the pay of all public sector workers outside the Home Counties is another episode of self harming. Does she think that will help consolidate support in the red wall territories . The great English Caste system is being exposed again and just as during Thatchers reign those furthest from her power base were abandoned . This will not end well 

HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Tax breaks and extra ££ for people with kids. Free housing?

Think you're right.

The return of decent council homes for people to rent would 100% solve this.

It's about getting families safe and settled so they can have kids etc (and helping those kids be settled and safe), isn't it? You'd guess it'd help reduce single parent households as well (climbed lots since the death of council housing, but there are  obviously social aspects to this as well).

It'd also reduce the government Housing Benefit spend which has also gone mental since the 80s of course.