House Price Crash Forum

Have You Been Influenced By This Website?

Guest The_Oldie

HOLA441
Guest The_Oldie

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people, if any, have been influenced by the information posted on this site.

Edit: If your circumstances are not reflected in the above three choices, please pick the closest match and feel free to explain further in a post.

HOLA442

I wouldn't say I have been influenced that much by this or any other forums. I often find them useful because many posters can show you how to look at certain scenarios in different ways. But after that, I think the mantra, "Do your own research" comes into play.

Remeber, folks, it's your money!

Lovely day in North Yorkshire by the way.

:)

HOLA443

there are not enough options in the question; so went for option 3.

I was going to wait anyway, noting that the prices were irrationally high, but was being contradicted by the VIs- until I found this site; I discovered that there are lot of people with my own opinions out there. this has made my decision easy though.

HOLA444
Guest Bart of Darkness

I've been more influenced by my change in circumstances (self-employed since mid-2003) and the size of my bank balance.

Regardless of a bubble I wouldn't be buying until mid 2007 at the earliest, so I can afford to sit on the sidelines and see what happens.

The site has reassured me though that it's the market that has gone mad, not me!

HOLA445

The site has reassured me though that it's the market that has gone mad, not me!

Renting every year since 1990 sounds pretty mad to me...

This was one of your posts last July. You seem fond of digging up my old posts so I thought I would have a go. I remember this old post of yours. Found it easily with google.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=12942

I'm hoping for a 33% deposit but am quite happy to wait longer and save more. As I'm happily renting and have been in the same place for 16 years, I have no need to buy at any time other than when conditions are right for me.
I'm hoping for a 33% deposit but ......

:lol:

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

HOLA446

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people, if any, have been influenced by the information posted on this site.

Yes it has helped me immensly Thank You.

I find the impartial advice, mature reasoned debate and freedom of speech allowed, from both sides of the fence, equally between both bulls and bears most admirable.

Well Done.

HOLA447

I was going to wait anyway, noting that the prices were irrationally high, but was being contradicted by the VIs- until I found this site; I discovered that there are lot of people with my own opinions out there. this has made my decision easy though.

ditto..

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest wrongmove

I was very bearish before I found the old HPC forum, about 2 years ago now! I am more neutral now, as I have come to understand that looking at the HP to earings ratio alone is probably too simplistic. It asssumes that IRs are totally irrelevant to house prices! This is clearly nonsense.

So HPC (and TMF) have actually made me less bearish! But I was starting from a very bearish position. I still haven't bought a house though !

HOLA4410

Not so much influenced as saved. I would probably have bought within the past 12 months on a by hook or by crook and I am going to live on rice and beans for the next 10 years because they can't stay at this level as it is too high, but it will probably take time to drop and nobody else has to suffer living in shared housing at my stage. But there are lots out there and it has got to the point where prices are falling and I am seriously loosing interest in the Housing Market full stop. Why buy a crock of sh!t when you can have the freedom. Now just gotta quit my job!!!

HOLA4411

I voted 'yes' but would agree with Dountful. Things didn't seem right to me and I remember the last housepricecrash. This site confirmed my views.

One thing the site has helped me with though is seeing the house price trends. I remember the last house price crash but I don't remember the house price inflation that occured before hand - so I only had half the picture.

HOLA4412

I think my 'road to damascus' happened a few years back. Me and the misses were about to put in a offer on a tiny, cramped one-bed flat in the heart of a grotty council estate overlooking huge pilons, fly-tipping, and other eyesores.

The hysteria in the market at that timne was incredible. You'd ask about a few one bed flats in an EAs and they'd always have 'sold in five minutes'. At one agents' the three flats I enquired about had 'gone that morning to the same investor'. Prices had rocketed, buy-to-let parasites were literally hoovering up the entire housing stock.

The haze suddenly lifted in a flash. I knew how debt-money worked. I knew 120k for tiny, rubbish flats was insane so what the heck was I doing about to leap in?

Not long after I went looking for crash info online and found the old site with the lame, bravenet forum. I don't think the site has directly influenced me, but it's good to see thousands of people posting who don't share the 'prices only go up', 'miss the boat, 'enslave yourself before its too late' mentality that constantly comes from friends, family and the media.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4413

Edit: If your circumstances are not reflected in the above three choices, please pick the closest match and feel free to explain further in a post.

I would of said this website has aided my education on house prices/economics, rather than influenced. But it's not the only forum I read.

:)

HOLA4414

the most concise summary so far I think...

I'm a very impressionable, easily-led young man. So I now spend all day spewing HPCesque invective to anyone who'll listen. I have become radicalised and am actively spreading the HPC poison through the otherwise healthy British economy. Viva la revolucion!!

;)

HOLA4415

Not long after I went looking for crash info online and found the old site with the lame, bravenet forum. I don't think the site has directly influenced me, but it's good to see thousands of people posting who don't share the 'prices only go up', 'miss the boat, 'enslave yourself before its too late' mentality that constantly comes from friends, family and the media.

I actually sat one day in a fit of despair after another pointless rightmove search, with 10 minutes to go at an internet Cafe and pissed off, with nothing more to search for, completely without hope typed the words "House Price Crash"... and lo, it was good :)

HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness

Well WaP, I think it's time I fleshed out my background to satisfy your curiousity.

I've been renting my council flat (current rent 42 per week) since 1989, when I was unemployed. Even in today's mad market, buying while on Income Support is not thought of as a good idea (or is it?).

I never thought I would ever be in a position to buy since even when I was employed 9-5 I did not make vast amounts of cash.

However, since mid-2003 I have been self-employed and have been able to save about 15k a year on average. By mid-2007 that would give me approx. 60k in savings, which would cover my 33% deposit (at today's prices) plus leave about 10k for all the other costs involved in a move, plus day to day expenses.

Interesting that you cut off my quote, I shall post the full sentence here for anyone interested.

I'm hoping for a 33% deposit but am quite happy to wait longer and save more.

As indeed I am. Afterall, I would hardly have stayed in the same place so long if I were not happy there (Sheffierld council have a system called choice based letting which allows you to move to somewhere of your choice, not theirs, so I'm hardly stuck here.

I'm glad you find someone working hard and saving for a home amusing WaP, I shall try to keep doing this so that I can continue ticking your funny bone in future.

Edited by Bart of Darkness

HOLA4417
I actually sat one day in a fit of despair after another pointless rightmove search, with 10 minutes to go at an internet Cafe and pissed off, with nothing more to search for, completely without hope typed the words "House Price Crash"... and lo, it was good

Yes, being surrounded by friends and family who are all owners, I was begining to despair. It was nice to find a place where there were so many other *issed off souls :)

The site didn't affect whether I would buy or not. My only option where I live is over 100k for an ex-council house. Not an option.

The thing that does worry me however, is the accompanying recession with HPC. I remember the last one and it wasn't pleasant.

HOLA4418

Yes, I have been heavily influenced. I was first thinking of buying mid 2002, but with a meager deposit and crap wage, deicded to reant my council flat for 2 or 3 years, get better job etc and svae as much as poss. All thaughts of houses pushed to the back of my mind. Cut to Jan 2004, when I decided to strart looking again. I was shocked to see how the prices had risen, wondering what had happened, i typed in house prices uk (or soemthing) And found this site. I began house viewings in ernest as prices rose so sharply, eventualy found a hosue I really liked, it was in bury outside manchester, quite a way out from where I work - Salford, and my flat is five minutes away from work. The house was on at £76k, I put in an offer of £71k, which was my deposit + 3.5times salary, that was rejected at first, he agreed to 73.5, but I did not budge, believeing alot of what I read on here. About 10 weeks later I had a call from the EA, saying the buyer had accepted the ofer, however, since then I had been logging onto the forum daily, and was so convinced not to buy, especially as i had posted asking peeps opinion, that I did not proceed. Also there was alot of newspaper reports about the possibility of a crash, and remember those trevor Mcdonald programs ?

Now 2 years later, I Am in exactly the same boat, Feeeling like teh worlds biggest fool, If I had of bought then I wouldve paid at least two years off, but teh crux of teh matter is I did really like the house and it had been done up by a developer, needed nothing doing. I doubt I will even find another I like as much, that I can afford. I have now started to accept prices will not drop, I think i was in denial when I decided not to buy then. I Am now 37, and renting a crappy council flat, with little hope of owning my own house. My advice to any newbies on here is to decide what is right for you and you alone.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes, I have been heavily influenced. I was first thinking of buying mid 2002, but with a meager deposit and crap wage, deicded to reant my council flat for 2 or 3 years, get better job etc and svae as much as poss. All thaughts of houses pushed to the back of my mind. Cut to Jan 2004, when I decided to strart looking again. I was shocked to see how the prices had risen, wondering what had happened, i typed in house prices uk (or soemthing) And found this site. I began house viewings in ernest as prices rose so sharply, eventualy found a hosue I really liked, it was in bury outside manchester, quite a way out from where I work - Salford, and my flat is five minutes away from work. The house was on at £76k, I put in an offer of £71k, which was my deposit + 3.5times salary, that was rejected at first, he agreed to 73.5, but I did not budge, believeing alot of what I read on here. About 10 weeks later I had a call from the EA, saying the buyer had accepted the ofer, however, since then I had been logging onto the forum daily, and was so convinced not to buy, especially as i had posted asking peeps opinion, that I did not proceed. Also there was alot of newspaper reports about the possibility of a crash, and remember those trevor Mcdonald programs ?

Now 2 years later, I Am in exactly the same boat, Feeeling like teh worlds biggest fool, If I had of bought then I wouldve paid at least two years off, but teh crux of teh matter is I did really like the house and it had been done up by a developer, needed nothing doing. I doubt I will even find another I like as much, that I can afford. I have now started to accept prices will not drop, I think i was in denial when I decided not to buy then. I Am now 37, and renting a crappy council flat, with little hope of owning my own house. My advice to any newbies on here is to decide what is right for you and you alone.

Yes, this site was set up around three years ago. Since then prices have risen by at least 30%. The graph on the front page should have a pointer saying "We started here" (in 2003).

In order for the site to have any credibility wrt 2003 then prices will have to crash at least 30% just to get back to square 1.

Anyone who took the STR advice in 2003 and banked the cash to rent off the interest must be feeling pretty pissed off...

HOLA4421

Yes, this site was set up around three years ago. Since then prices have risen by at least 30%. The graph on the front page should have a pointer saying "We started here" (in 2003).

In order for the site to have any credibility wrt 2003 then prices will have to crash at least 30% just to get back to square 1.

Anyone who took the STR advice in 2003 and banked the cash to rent off the interest must be feeling pretty pissed off...

I banked the cash and rented, and waited unfortunately.

House prices here have risen by at least 15% in the interim. A house directly next to the one I sold has just gone for 26% more, in exactly one year! There would have to be a HPC of at least 26% just to return to the status quo of one year ago.

My wife is now pressurising to buy back in as she is terrified the market will rise by another 15% in the coming year. I am nervous but reluctant to buy and thus consolidate a substantial loss.

HOLA4422

Why do you post here if you have no respect for the site and its content?

Is it because you have no friends and nobody loves you?

Or are you just annoyed that I've used a photo of you for my avatar :lol:

Ribbing aside - why do you post here and visit the site if you think it's all a load of tosh? Would be interested to know.

HOLA4423

I tend to set fire to alot more stuff compared to what i used to do as a child, i thought i was over it all but since reading and becoming a member of this site well... who needs curtains anyway.

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Why do you post here if you have no respect for the site and its content?

The thread headline asks "Have you been influenced by this website?"

I put forward the view that some people may wish they had never taken the advice from this site back in 2003. I did this because I assumed many of these people would keep quiet. (seems I was wrong if you read some recent posts...)

Fortunately, I didn't choose to STR.

Is it because you have no friends and nobody loves you?

Or are you just annoyed that I've used a photo of you for my avatar

Ribbing aside -

Is that the best 'ribbing' you can do or are you just getting warmed up?

Edited by Without_a_Paddle