House Price Crash Forum

Petrol prices: 'Getting to work costs so much I might have to quit'

HOLA441
6 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

We all know there is a small swathe of people who don’t want to work - but to me that’s not the issue here - it’s the significant proportion of our society that do work and yet still live in poverty. Tw*ts like you that boast about teslas on an Internet forum couldn’t care less that there is so much inequality in our society. These people ought to have more ambition right? 

I don't mind markyh because at least he is honest about it.  He is saying suck it up plebs because this is the way it is going to be.  He's right about that and lots of people need to know it.  He's doing a service.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
6 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Why don’t these stupid nurses just change jobs so they can work from home? What dummies! These idiots should have bought bitcoin and switched to an electric car years ago. Then they could be productive members of society, sitting at a computer, instead of wasting all our time complaining. 

I’m seeing nurses do that. Work from home in the private sector for much better pay

HOLA443
3 minutes ago, Glental said:

I’m seeing nurses do that. Work from home in the private sector for much better pay

Watch this space......if not careful we are walking into an American style health service, many vested interests, private corporations, donors, insurance cos pushing for it.......your house needs to increase in value, you might need the money to pay for your health care and procedures one day......not got your wits about you, they will have every penny off you.......stay sane, stay healthy live long and have something to pass as inheritance, not to keep you alive, weak without power in a dark place.;)

HOLA444
34 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

In the 1960's between the ages of 5 and 10 I rode pillion on my father's motorcycles.  Loved it when it was dry!

I've been trying to recall ANY females who commuted to work by cycle.

When I was working at university we had one PhD student cyclist in our department.  But she was a student not staff.  I don't recall any female staff cycling to work.  At that time I actually did commute by cycle, at least for a few years.

Since then and after I joined the private sector I cannot recall a single one.  I've known a few male cycle commuters, including one who did 18 miles each way, but zero female, at least to my knowledge.

HOLA445
4 hours ago, kzb said:

Good luck with that.  Despite all the money thrown at it, cycle commuting has not increased for decades.

I was surprised by this statistic, but apparently even in London most people get to work by car.

Considering that London public transport is head and shoulders above the rest of the country as well.

That's because it was, largely, being pushed as a 'lifestyle' change (e.g. get fit, help avoid global warming, etc)

This time the take up in bike riding will be through necessity - because, in increasing numbers, many can't afford mechanised transport options. First private cars. Then, later on, for some even public transport will dig significantly into their disposable income.

It won't happen overnight. After all who the heck wants to ride to work/back home in the cold and the rain and in the dark? People will make cutbacks elsewhere to be able to afford the 'luxury' of driving to work for as long as they can. But, I would wager, we WILL see inexorable increases in cycle riding for non-recreational purposes.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA446
HOLA447
7 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

What’s the alternative to the Tories?  I won’t vote Labour due to their obsession with identity politics.

We need a new party that represents the working people.  Not just those on low wages, topped up by benefits.  I mean those of us that work and earn too much for top ups but aren’t rich.  It used to be the Tories but they are only concerned with the rich these days.  There is no party for those of us in the middle.  

Spot on , I guess people in the position just are not a big enough voting block and perhaps too busy working try to better themselves without relying on the state

HOLA448
22 hours ago, shlomo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61745727

The cost of filling up the tank of an average car with petrol is has now hit £100 - and that's having a huge impact on people across the UK.

People who rely on their cars for work are struggling with high prices as they continue to rise, in the midst of a cost of living crisis.

It's partly because of the war in Ukraine, which has led to Europe cutting down oil imports from Russia.

Before invading Ukraine, Russia had supplied a quarter of the oil EU countries import - but the UK has joined the US and EU in banning imports of Russian fossil fuels, as part of sanctions against the country due to the war.

Can the world cope without Russian oil and gas?

What are sanctions?

There has also been criticism of fuel companies like BP and Shell, which have recorded record profits this year - following a decline during the pandemic.

Shell profits nearly triple as oil prices surge

BP profits soar as calls for windfall tax grow

All this has led to soaring prices, and that's affected people like Gordon, who works as a driver in Consett, County Durham, and is even considering changing his job because of the cost of petrol in the UK right now.

ordon drives 30 miles every day to get to work.

"It's actually getting to the point now where I'm contemplating leaving a full-time, steady job to look for something close to home just to save 30 or 40 quid a week on fuel," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"It's a very hard decision but I've got a wife, a house and kids - and that money that is spent better elsewhere."

Olivia's a nurse in Flintshire, north Wales. When she filled up her car this week, it cost her £55, and has seen prices near her as much as 195p per litre.

"In my seven years of driving, it's never cost that much," the 24-year-old says.

"I work as a nurse and it takes me half an hour to get there and half an hour back."

_125338358_olivia976.jpg

But she says there are other nurses in a much worse position than she is.

"My colleagues that do community nursing and have to drive around to patients houses - it's costing them an absolute fortune."

Laura lives in Cumbria, and says the petrol prices are affecting her mental health. She drives her car 25 miles each way to work and back every day.

"I'm finding the cost of petrol just really worrying," she says.

"It's affecting my anxiety, I just don't know when the price increase is going to stop and how it's going to affect me getting to work.

"I spend about £200 a month at the moment and I just don't know when that's going to stop going up. I'm just really worried."

And delivery driver Michaela says she's putting £30 of diesel in her car every day - costing her up to £200 a week, up from £90 during the pandemic.

And this

UK Exports Billions of Litres of Petrol to US Despite Local Record Pump Prices

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-09/uk-sends-billions-of-liters-of-petrol-to-us-where-it-s-cheaper#xj4y7vzkg

Feck, that's a LOT of tax. But then this government can only hear people with at least £10 million in the bank.

HOLA449
7 hours ago, byron78 said:

Stop being daft.

I'm 82, have owned various sports cars, and even raced a few.

If this self avowed petrolhead can embrace EVs then anyone can.

And I'm sorry but petrol is dead. 

My EV is cheaper, faster, better, and just all round perfect.

Solar panels mean I'm barely paying anything to run it presently.

MarkG has sold me on a Tesla as well - will defo go that way soon - having had a quick go in one I was genuinely moved by it in a way I haven't been by a car in a very very long time (moved emotionally, not geographically! ;) )

It's perfectly possible to want cheap fuel and vehicles without being wedded to the fossil fuel industry now (which is hugely statist, and largely controlled by extremist and nefarious countries as well).

In fact it's exactly what our Victorian forefathers would have done. I don't think many of them would have been excited by the prospect of being beholden to Arabs and Russians for the rest of our lives.

You actually believe this rubbish that these electric cars are environmentally friendly ? These monstrosities are an environmental disaster and to boot dreadful performance. The environmental costs to extract the lithium is enough to delegate them into the history books. Lets not talk about the massive costs in diesel last i heard it was about 500 gallons/hr for the machinery to extract it. I could go on all night about how bad they are.

But a more measurable quantity is the performance, they are crap to put it nicely. I tried a tesla yes it got off the line quickly but this thing is running out of puff at 90 +, my M5 would demolish it in the straight and in corners. Ok i will give you that the model S is pretty damn quick most likely quicker than the M5 but thats not your typical electric car. There was no hiding the weight regardless of how low down it was. Sorry but no petrol head would ever cite performance as a deciding factor, they are garbage. Now in 8 years time my M5 will still be worth 50% of its new price and will delight its new owner and the next for many years. After 8 years your environmentally friendly tesla will be in landfill. Lets not get into the infrastructure thats another disaster.  

Edited by overlander

HOLA4410
30 minutes ago, overlander said:

You actually believe this rubbish that these electric cars are environmentally friendly ? These monstrosities are an environmental disaster and to boot dreadful performance. The environmental costs to extract the lithium is enough to delegate them into the history books. Lets not talk about the massive costs in diesel last i heard it was about 500 gallons/hr for the machinery to extract it. I could go on all night about how bad they are.

But a more measurable quantity is the performance, they are crap to put it nicely. I tried a tesla yes it got off the line quickly but this thing is running out of puff at 90 +, my M5 would demolish it in the straight and in corners. Ok i will give you that the model S is pretty damn quick most likely quicker than the M5 but thats not your typical electric car. There was no hiding the weight regardless of how low down it was. Sorry but no petrol head would ever cite performance as a deciding factor, they are garbage. Now in 8 years time my M5 will still be worth 50% of its new price and will delight its new owner and the next for many years. After 8 years your environmentally friendly tesla will be in landfill. Lets not get into the infrastructure thats another disaster.  

How do you manage to type with such swivelly eyes?

Where did I say anything about the environment?

HOLA4411
7 hours ago, kzb said:

Got one, it is in the shed like 90% of bikes in the country!

As a young person I did a lot of cycling, but I never got so good I could cycle 30 miles twice a day.  Nor could I carry the volumes of groceries and other stuff I have to get. 

I would also think saying "rely on cycling" is misogynistic, because it is not safe for women to be out unprotected and also not being able to transport children to and from child care and school would limit their career opportunities.

Rather than spend £20,000+ on an electric car, keep the ICE, run it into the ground and meanwhile buy an ebike or two. 

This solution isn’t for everyone but if you’re fairly fit a 10 mile commute is perfectly feasible on an ebike. All the “traditional” objections to cycling fade away when you try one and grasp the potential of these things. 

My mileage plummeted when I bought one and it “paid for itself” in a year

I’ve seen a gardener hump his gear round on a Tern GSD and trailer and also seen toddlers transported in an Urban Arrow. 

Not for everyone but these remarkable machines merit consideration. They make far more sense than a Range Rover for the school run at least. 

34E4FAE2-257C-4101-AE34-6B8D8E865E2F.thumb.jpeg.3b839baf3ac1fc03506de30acc6db2c3.jpeg5AEBDAB8-E3FD-401C-B3EE-B728C9683FC9.thumb.jpeg.0ba61f1e3986aaa78f18cd37f19ea643.jpeg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, overlander said:

You are @Greg Bowman and I claim my 50p

HOLA4414

The nonchalant attitude of the Tories is astonishing, they are acting like runaway fuel prices don't matter. This sort of crisis destroyed Labour in the 70's for a generation and if the Tories don't get their finger out and do something. They will be utterly destroyed at the next election.

HOLA4415
12 minutes ago, bartelbe said:

The nonchalant attitude of the Tories is astonishing, they are acting like runaway fuel prices don't matter. This sort of crisis destroyed Labour in the 70's for a generation and if the Tories don't get their finger out and do something. They will be utterly destroyed at the next election.

First step should be telling the BoE it needs to do 0.5% every meeting. Even The President of Inflation worked that one out in the US.

Then they need to cut the green nonsense on petrol. 

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, longgone said:

LOL long range model 3s of the 2021 vintage can be picked up for 40k 

Only mugs pay retail.

Where? With under 10k miles on the clock and 6 months old? Show me a link of a 2021 M3 LR for £40k that isn't Cat C.  

HOLA4417
6 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

These people ought to have more ambition right? 

Yep work harder, i grew up in a council houses, never went to uni, never had a new car (company car) until i was 27. Bought a house and bought and sold my way up the ladder including STR, it's all on here since 2004.

My 2 really smart moves were buying my 1st house in 1996 and getting some bitcoin in 2013.   

HOLA4418
22 minutes ago, markyh said:

Where? With under 10k miles on the clock and 6 months old? Show me a link of a 2021 M3 LR for £40k that isn't Cat C.  

Ohh ffs go on any trade site even autotrader sub 25k cars for 43k before haggling. 

If i can haggle 2k off a 15 or 16k car it suggests they are paying sub 40k used for them.  

This going up in value asset is a load of Bs.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Ohh ffs go on any trade site even autotrader sub 25k cars for 43k before haggling. 

If i can haggle 2k off a 15 or 16k car it suggests they are paying sub 40k used for them.  

penny-wise-pound-foolish-410.jpg

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, longgone said:

You said 2021 Model 3 LR .  I looked on Autotrader, cheapest 2021 was £47k and that's with 40k miles on the clock. Cheapest 2021 under 10k miles is £51k.   Cheapest LR for sale is a 69 plate with 10k miles for £46500. 

You like are living fantasy land son, this aint 2019 anymore. EV's all demand a premium when they can save to £500 pcm over a diesel @ £2 gallon. 

Like i said, show me any ad for a 2021 Model 3 LR , even poverty spec in white with stock 18" wheels and black interior. Mine is fully optioned, Siler Grey paint, 19" sport alloys and white interior. 

When you are waiting 9-12 months + for a new EV , and it's £58700 for my spec new now, paying over £52k i paid is a good deal if you want in one nearly new quick. 

HOLA4422
30 minutes ago, markyh said:

You said 2021 Model 3 LR .  I looked on Autotrader, cheapest 2021 was £47k and that's with 40k miles on the clock. Cheapest 2021 under 10k miles is £51k.   Cheapest LR for sale is a 69 plate with 10k miles for £46500. 

You like are living fantasy land son, this aint 2019 anymore. EV's all demand a premium when they can save to £500 pcm over a diesel @ £2 gallon. 

Like i said, show me any ad for a 2021 Model 3 LR , even poverty spec in white with stock 18" wheels and black interior. Mine is fully optioned, Siler Grey paint, 19" sport alloys and white interior. 

When you are waiting 9-12 months + for a new EV , and it's £58700 for my spec new now, paying over £52k i paid is a good deal if you want in one nearly new quick. 

No

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204224916082?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2021&postcode=xxxxxx&model=Model 3&page=1&aggregatedTrim=Long Range&make=Tesla&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

25k miles that. Last week i saw them for less.  Going up my @ss 

2nd hand no ones cares between 10k and 30k miles.

HOLA4423
20 minutes ago, longgone said:

That's £47k , you are not getting that for £40k, good luck. And it's only option is Black paint with i not popular. Black was the free colour back in 2019 , you had yo pay for white, but they swapped it soon in the UK to white as it affected sales of base spec cars, people didnt want black. 

When Tesla's base warranty is 4 years or 50k miles, whichever comes sooner , it bloody well does matter if it is a 1 year old car with 25k+ miles, unless you do very very low miles so can make the next 25k miles last 3 years. 

Any Tesla model 3 in the UK with over 50k miles is not under general warranty, and any with 100k+ also has no battery and drivetrain warranty anymore either.  2019+ 100k Tesla Model 3 should be at a big discount as you are on your own with any failures. 

HOLA4424
32 minutes ago, longgone said:

Lol, what's the local Polish delicatessen like?  Primary school in the are good? St.Johns fishers ? 

HOLA4425