House Price Crash Forum

Petrol prices: 'Getting to work costs so much I might have to quit'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61745727

The cost of filling up the tank of an average car with petrol is has now hit £100 - and that's having a huge impact on people across the UK.

People who rely on their cars for work are struggling with high prices as they continue to rise, in the midst of a cost of living crisis.

It's partly because of the war in Ukraine, which has led to Europe cutting down oil imports from Russia.

Before invading Ukraine, Russia had supplied a quarter of the oil EU countries import - but the UK has joined the US and EU in banning imports of Russian fossil fuels, as part of sanctions against the country due to the war.

Can the world cope without Russian oil and gas?

What are sanctions?

There has also been criticism of fuel companies like BP and Shell, which have recorded record profits this year - following a decline during the pandemic.

Shell profits nearly triple as oil prices surge

BP profits soar as calls for windfall tax grow

All this has led to soaring prices, and that's affected people like Gordon, who works as a driver in Consett, County Durham, and is even considering changing his job because of the cost of petrol in the UK right now.

ordon drives 30 miles every day to get to work.

"It's actually getting to the point now where I'm contemplating leaving a full-time, steady job to look for something close to home just to save 30 or 40 quid a week on fuel," he tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"It's a very hard decision but I've got a wife, a house and kids - and that money that is spent better elsewhere."

Olivia's a nurse in Flintshire, north Wales. When she filled up her car this week, it cost her £55, and has seen prices near her as much as 195p per litre.

"In my seven years of driving, it's never cost that much," the 24-year-old says.

"I work as a nurse and it takes me half an hour to get there and half an hour back."

_125338358_olivia976.jpg

But she says there are other nurses in a much worse position than she is.

"My colleagues that do community nursing and have to drive around to patients houses - it's costing them an absolute fortune."

Laura lives in Cumbria, and says the petrol prices are affecting her mental health. She drives her car 25 miles each way to work and back every day.

"I'm finding the cost of petrol just really worrying," she says.

"It's affecting my anxiety, I just don't know when the price increase is going to stop and how it's going to affect me getting to work.

"I spend about £200 a month at the moment and I just don't know when that's going to stop going up. I'm just really worried."

And delivery driver Michaela says she's putting £30 of diesel in her car every day - costing her up to £200 a week, up from £90 during the pandemic.

Edited by shlomo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely you claim the cost back from the employer?  I am sure they will always reimburse reasonable expenses.

I think the problem is a car allowance was previously seen as sone sort of unofficial bonus.  (Typical scenario, the recipient would use it to finance a vehicle better in terms of brand and or size, than they actually need).

If the bonus money gets eaten by being used as it is supposed to be, I guess it is a problem.

The government should apply a flat rate of duty/vat so that the price falls by 20-30%. They’ll still receive revenues aligned with recent years - and we’ll saying 40p a litre.

The problem is we have a shameful Tory government in power. One that keep mentioning the 5p cut that was swallowed up immediately as we all predicted amidst continued rises. 

Serious question - is there a single Tory voter on here prepared to defend Boris and his government? Are there still muppets touting the “no better option” BS?

Please do us all a favour and don’t vote for this scum again. 

Isn't it in general a good thing if people give up jobs that require so much driving and take jobs that are closer to where they live?

In what world does driving half an hour out and half an hour back every single day in a fossil-burning machine just to do your daily work make any sense?

10 hours ago, reddog said:

Surely you claim the cost back from the employer?  I am sure they will always reimburse reasonable expenses.

I think the problem is a car allowance was previously seen as sone sort of unofficial bonus.  (Typical scenario, the recipient would use it to finance a vehicle better in terms of brand and or size, than they actually need).

If the bonus money gets eaten by being used as it is supposed to be, I guess it is a problem.

This wouldn't be an option for any of the local workers down here.

Rural commuties... lots of unavoidable driving... minimum wages for most.

Suspect anyone in the gig economy or the hospitality sector is screwed.

41 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

The government should apply a flat rate of duty/vat so that the price falls by 20-30%. They’ll still receive revenues aligned with recent years - and we’ll saying 40p a litre.

Exactly, you would think our Government would be there to take off some of the pain with the frankly ludicrous amount of tax applied to fuel, but no, appears not. To much debt racked up on some worthless PPE.

Edited by LetsBuild

26 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

Isn't it in general a good thing if people give up jobs that require so much driving and take jobs that are closer to where they live?

In what world does driving half an hour out and half an hour back every single day in a fossil-burning machine just to do your daily work make any sense?

I can absolutely see the argument for this in somewhere like say London.

But commuters commute for a reason. Most are priced out of London for a start.

We also have woeful and expensive public transport compared to pretty much anywhere else in Europe I've travelled in or lived. That's about private profit for shareholders over and above simply moving as many workers as quickly/conveniently as possible now.

Wonder how they'll prop this?

(If anyone has the money, an EV, home battery, and solar panels are surely the one? I've a Nissan Leaf as a runaround and even without a home battery presently I charge it during a bit of sun and it pretty much lasts me all week for free!)

Edited by byron78

Social care is in crisis.......high fuel costs to travel to housebound, elderly and frail will only compound it, the caring trained people that do this undervalued and low paid work will stop working as no longer sustainable unless something drastically changes.;)

Why don’t these stupid nurses just change jobs so they can work from home? What dummies! These idiots should have bought bitcoin and switched to an electric car years ago. Then they could be productive members of society, sitting at a computer, instead of wasting all our time complaining. 

25 minutes ago, LetsBuild said:

Exactly, you would think our Government would be there to take off some of the pain with the frankly ludicrous amount of tax applied to fuel, but no, appears not. To much debt racked up on some worthless PPE.

Not forgetting T&T.;)

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/150988/unimaginable-cost-of-test-trace-failed-to-deliver-central-promise-of-averting-another-lockdown/

Edited by winkie
Remove test....testing was a good thing

12 minutes ago, GeneCernan said:

Why aren't the government taking a flat rate of duty rather than seeing the tax take get bigger and bigger? 

Because they don't care and they never have.

They need the money they have big debts to pay so taxes have to go up....the higher the inflation the more tax is collected.;)

How much has test and trace cost?

The test and trace system’s total cost amounts to £37 billion - roughly 20% of the annual NHS budget - over two years.

Compounding its rising costs, the public accounts committee found that contractors on the scheme were being paid £1,100 a day on average - rising to £6,000 a day in one case.

“The national test-and-trace programme was allocated eye-watering sums of taxpayers’ money in the midst of a global health and economic crisis,” said committee chair Dame Meg Hillier.

1 hour ago, Pmax2020 said:

The problem is we have a shameful Tory government in power. One that keep mentioning the 5p cut that was swallowed up immediately as we all predicted amidst continued rises. 

Serious question - is there a single Tory voter on here prepared to defend Boris and his government? Are there still muppets touting the “no better option” BS?

Please do us all a favour and don’t vote for this scum again. 

Until there is a alternative that wont actively promote the politics of envy with wealth taxes, mansion taxes and upping CGT to match income tax with no taper, then i will always vote Tory. 

They wont make massive changes to fuel taxes because it's nigh on politically impossible to raise them again and win elections, and with that tax base shrinking by the day via EV's or priced out demand destruction they need every penny they can get. 

These people need to go EV's , i can sell them a nice 2021 Tesla for more than i paid for it as the new price is now £6.7k more than i paid just 6 month ago. 

We are now seeing people "having" to work to just get buy not live on handouts which is a good thing imho. 

10 minutes ago, winkie said:

They need the money they have big debts to pay so taxes have to go up....the higher the inflation the more tax is collected.;)

Roads are a bit more empty nowadays I attributed it to coronovirus but it must be fuel costs going up

6 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Roads are a bit more empty nowadays I attributed it to coronovirus but it must be fuel costs going up

You live in London they do not want people to drive, they need people back on the underground and buses, need the money, extending the ulez to the whole of greater London soon....those that can will continue to drive as normal and always will however much they pay for fuel.....for others they will travel less, share cars, work closer to home or from home.....not everyone has access to public transport so they will stay in more, get stuff delivered, use local business, cycle.....use the car less = spend less, walk more = exercise more.;)

What’s the alternative to the Tories?  I won’t vote Labour due to their obsession with identity politics.

We need a new party that represents the working people.  Not just those on low wages, topped up by benefits.  I mean those of us that work and earn too much for top ups but aren’t rich.  It used to be the Tories but they are only concerned with the rich these days.  There is no party for those of us in the middle.  

3 hours ago, erat_forte said:

It's quite educational, or it should be.  Thing is people can't connect two stories in their heads anymore.

Many of the same people moaning about the fuel prices will also say they support Extinction Rebellion in surveys.

No-one seems to get it; this is what you all want.  Welcome to the world you wanted; you will be poorer, and you won't own a car.  You should all be celebrating every fuel price increase and calling for more.

10 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

What’s the alternative to the Tories?  I won’t vote Labour due to their obsession with identity politics.

We need a new party that represents the working people.  Not just those on low wages, topped up by benefits.  I mean those of us that work and earn too much for top ups but aren’t rich.  It used to be the Tories but they are only concerned with the rich these days.  There is no party for those of us in the middle.  

Many of those same working people will also be demanding that net zero is accelerated.  

14 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

You had a chance to vote for an alternative. You won't be given another.

importedImage358488_header

19 minutes ago, kzb said:

It's quite educational, or it should be.  Thing is people can't connect two stories in their heads anymore.

Many of the same people moaning about the fuel prices will also say they support Extinction Rebellion in surveys.

No-one seems to get it; this is what you all want.  Welcome to the world you wanted; you will be poorer, and you won't own a car.  You should all be celebrating every fuel price increase and calling for more.

Get a bike. The more you use it the richer you get. Think about it!

Edited by zugzwang

8 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

You had a chance to vote for an alternative. You won't be given another.

importedImage358488_header

Sadly, true story.

Billionaire owned mainstream media brainwashing evidently works on enough of the public.

32 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

This sounds like it might be your obsession tbf. The fact it's your primary reason for not voting for an alternative party is pretty telling, isn't it?