House Price Crash Forum

House prices soared and now stands at £367,501 - following a £7,400 jump in one month

HOLA441

House prices have soared by a 'record-breaking' £55,000 since the pandemic began and are still rising, Rightmove says.   

The average price tag on a home has reached a record high for the fourth month in a row, jumping by £7,400 in May, according to the website. 

And across Britain the average asking price for a property this month is £367,501.

Daily Mail

HOLA442
12 minutes ago, rollover said:

House prices have soared by a 'record-breaking' £55,000 since the pandemic began and are still rising, Rightmove says.   

The average price tag on a home has reached a record high for the fourth month in a row, jumping by £7,400 in May, according to the website. 

And across Britain the average asking price for a property this month is £367,501.

Daily Mail

If you look at London, terraced houses that were say, £1M are now asking £1.5M

None of them are selling, but they really skew all the figures.  If one does buy then they move out and over pay.

Nothing selling round us now, CURRENT asking prices starting to come down.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Matches exactly what I’m seeing - any house in my area that goes up for sale is gone SSTC within 48 hours. I can’t imagine this will be for under asking either. Anyone trying to push the narrative that nothing is selling or asking prices are coming down like @TheCountOfNowhere just looks rather silly in my opinion, though I’m not going to profess to have an intimate knowledge of all prices everywhere all the time. 

HOLA445

I thought it was only Norfolk where ...

"Look at this love.."

Market falling rates rising doom doom doom!!!!

oooh

"best stick the house one and sell it"

"100K over last year when the rates where 0?"

"yes don't want to give it away!"

Some examples... well done to them if it pays off!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121156022#/?channel=RES_BUY

3 million? hmm some properties have large lawns plus the frontage for sub 2 million.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/122672705#/?channel=RES_BUY

1.7 nice houses great road but no river frontage try nearer 1

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/123487190#/?channel=RES_BUY

1.4 hmm 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/123316118#/?channel=RES_BUY

1.1 good luck nice on the river but no garden tight parking at the front and sloped 
ceilings on top floor more like 750 zone

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/123437888#/?channel=RES_BUY

only .75 acres near Stalham 

HOLA446

They can ask what they goddamn well please. I won't be giving it away when I come to buy either. I bet (hope, c'mon Fed!!!) their need will be greater than mine when the time comes ;)

HOLA447

The reason for asking prices increasing is because buyers are still going over asking so the agents are closing that gap. 

There is more fuel yet.  Sorry to say.  It’s always been a game of wait for til later on in the year.

Certainly not cooling down much here in north Surrey despite the big economic picture. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

THIS IS ASKING PRICES FFS!!

Its made up and completely open to manipulation by RM and EA's to try and peg house prices ever higher before the inevitable leg downwards; especially when supply levels are at all time lows.

The higher they can get that "average house price" before things reverse, dampens the impact of whatever declines occur next 10%, 20%, 50%..who knows. But if they can get some final ramping into Joe-idiot Public's head before then they'll be happy.

That our media reports the RM releases as being actual house price data, is the real issue and shouldn't be allowed.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I thought posters on here saying that this nonesense would end last year with the stamp duty holiday ending? 🤷‍♂️

Well, the number of sales did drop after each holiday deadline. The 3 highlighted values are the three stamp duty deadlines that got extended last year. Obviously there was an effect.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/monthly-property-transactions-completed-in-the-uk-with-value-40000-or-above

As for the prices, feck knows what's going through peoples' minds. Part of the £800bn printing frenzy maybe?

houses.thumb.jpg.b68c990b5c4084babfc89a8dc80361c5.jpg

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

https://moneyweek.com/investments/property/house-prices/604717/fred-harrison-house-prices-will-peak-in-2026

Fred: Yes, there's going to be a huge crash. But the question is, when? And I'm afraid that conventional economics doesn't answer that question very efficiently.

Fred: (in 2026) They’ll level off for a matter of months and then they start to go down. T

HOLA4417
52 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Well, the number of sales did drop after each holiday deadline. The 3 highlighted values are the three stamp duty deadlines that got extended last year. Obviously there was an effect.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/monthly-property-transactions-completed-in-the-uk-with-value-40000-or-above

As for the prices, feck knows what's going through peoples' minds. Part of the £800bn printing frenzy maybe?

Interesting to compare Jan/Feb/Mar 2022 UK sales totals against Jan/Feb/Mar 2021 figures, albeit 2022 are all 'provisional' and could increase (or perhaps even decrease further) and March 2021 was the end of one of the holidays.

Q1 2021:  393.2k

Q1 2022:  288.4k

Crikey.

It would be interesting to see 2020 or even before then to see what a 'normal' year looks like.

HOLA4418

Anecdotal: Friend is a mortgage broker, since April and the cost of living crisis, inflation starting etc he has informed me that lenders are a rejecting a good number of mortgage applications now.

I guess this is down to

a) Simply what the mortgage customer can comfortably afford to pay per month

b) The banks identify risks and consequently de-risking.

So remember, this is only month two of the inflation/cost of living crisis, not to mention we're heading into a reccession (IMO we are in one as we speak). How do house prices do in long drawn out reccesions bulls?

3 hours ago, Smiley George said:

THIS IS ASKING PRICES FFS!!

Its made up and completely open to manipulation by RM and EA's to try and peg house prices ever higher before the inevitable leg downwards; especially when supply levels are at all time lows.

The higher they can get that "average house price" before things reverse, dampens the impact of whatever declines occur next 10%, 20%, 50%..who knows. But if they can get some final ramping into Joe-idiot Public's head before then they'll be happy.

That our media reports the RM releases as being actual house price data, is the real issue and shouldn't be allowed.

As @Smiley George perfectly put above, the rightmove asking price index is a joke, but it does in a way highlight the remaining froth in the market, the last of the idiocy/insanity, so to speak.

We are at the absolute apex of the curve, the tanker has turned....now time for Crashy Crashy.

Tick Tock Bitches.

Edited by highcontrast

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Insane said:

I would think it is the huge rise in immigration for the last 25 years driving it. 

But immigration has gone up massively since Brexit.

I'm being genuine. I do think the huge rise in immigration since we left could be driving much of this. 

35K a year income to get into the UK now, isn't it? It's open doors as long as they have money.

Edited by byron78

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
5 hours ago, Guillotine said:

We ain’t seen nothing yet with regards to immigration.  Africa’s population could well double within living peoples lifetimes.

So will the UKs.

Good job the UK and earth has infinite resources 🤣

HOLA4422
19 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If you look at London, terraced houses that were say, £1M are now asking £1.5M

None of them are selling, but they really skew all the figures.  If one does buy then they move out and over pay.

Nothing selling round us now, CURRENT asking prices starting to come down.

Putin could level half of London and the prices would still go up there with sellers citing “low supply” 😂 

HOLA4423
18 hours ago, Huggy said:

So less things for sale makes prices go up? Whoddathunkit Hugz. 🤣👍

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

So less things for sale makes prices go up? Whoddathunkit Hugz. 🤣👍

And, more things being sold also make prices go up 🤔