House Price Crash Forum

Investment Options

Milo

HOLA441

I’ve been very lazy with my savings but have recently considered investment options for about £10k.

This may be of interest to others doing the same and I would welcome views on medium to low risk investment options that pay more than cash ISAs and savings accounts. I might just go towards a deposit on a house one day. :o

Having sought the views of Nationwide (just a starting point) the sales pitch was as follows:

£4500 in ‘Target Fund’ (last 12 months has made 7.7%. Was invested approx 40% cash, 40% equities, 20% bonds/gilts. Fees are 1.5%).

£4500 ‘Balanced Fund’ (last 12 months made 17.5%. Was spread approx 35% overseas equities, 40% UK equities and 25% bonds. Fees 1.5%)

£1000 Tracker (made 19.4% last 12 months and outperformed the managed fund. Tracks FTSE 500. Fees 1%).

It can all go into ISA before and after April.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

i agree with jon, go with ETFs and you will save on the fees. IIRR squaregain charges no commission (other than their spread) on ETF trades which will also save you money.

Could do something like:

25% MIDD.L iShares FTSE 250

25% IEEM.L iShares MSCI Emerging Markets

25% LQDE.L iShares GS $ Investop Corporate Bond

25% IUKD.L ISHARES UK DIV

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/p.../prices/etf.htm

HOLA446

Thanks. I’ll need to put serious thought into ETFs. Looks like I have to learn a new language first. :blink:

Ruffers performance looks good but it seems the charges are high and the risks?

5 years to 10 years min. is quoted by most advisers and most of the literature I’ve come across. I doubt the stock market will repeat its performance of the last couple of years but I wonder whether this warning is overly pessimistic for shorter term investments at present. I'm basically taking a gamble with a proportion of my cash and it’s a matter of weighing up the relative risks/benefits and making a decision and what level of risk I can afford. I may wish to convert to cash in a year or two but if the prices drop I can let a few £k ride until the market picks up again. But I wouldn’t want to have £10k tied in for 5 to 10.

HOLA447

Thanks. I’ll need to put serious thought into ETFs. Looks like I have to learn a new language first. :blink:

Ruffers performance looks good but it seems the charges are high and the risks?

5 years to 10 years min. is quoted by most advisers and most of the literature I’ve come across. I doubt the stock market will repeat its performance of the last couple of years but I wonder whether this warning is overly pessimistic for shorter term investments at present. I'm basically taking a gamble with a proportion of my cash and it’s a matter of weighing up the relative risks/benefits and making a decision and what level of risk I can afford. I may wish to convert to cash in a year or two but if the prices drop I can let a few £k ride until the market picks up again. But I wouldn’t want to have £10k tied in for 5 to 10.

You might do well with less than 5 but you are taking a risk. Would it be a disaster if you lost money ?