House Price Crash Forum

What is the state of the country's mental health?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, winkie said:

The people's stress levels, anxiety, PMA, fears, health and hope for the future..... especially the children, the children that are our future?;)

You forgot the pure mind numbing hatred that comes from having to watch that idiot BJ babbling away on the TV, trying to save his worthless skin.

I have zero hope for the future. I think we are in the final days of the modern capitalist global civilization. Yet, perversely, the more I feel that the country/economy/world is in decline, the less stressed/anxious I feel. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

You forgot the pure mind numbing hatred that comes from having to watch that idiot BJ babbling away on the TV, trying to save his worthless skin.

Agree he acts like a spoilt child at times....how healthy he is, no qualified to say.;)

5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

He is the worst possible leader at the worst possible time. The English working class are fools, I say that as an English working class man.

5 minutes ago, Postman said:

I have zero hope for the future. I think we are in the final days of the modern capitalist global civilization. Yet, perversely, the more I feel that the country/economy/world is in decline, the less stressed/anxious I feel. 

I get a "darkest moment before the dawn" feeling, with the Neoliberal order since the late 70s/early 80s getting ripped apart after running on fumes for 14+ years.

34 minutes ago, winkie said:

The people's stress levels, anxiety, PMA, fears, health and hope for the future..... especially the children, the children that are our future?;)

I don’t fully understand your question - are you asking about CHILDRENs mental health?  No idea.  Mine are too young to care about geopolitical issues, they still wear nappies.

As for me the only thing that stresses me out is the fact I want to upsize my house to accommodate our growing family and working out how and when to do it.

I have an optimistic personality so however bad things are my brain just defaults into “I’m sure it will be fine”. It’s probably an evolutionary coping measure, but it does make me less worried. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

mental health of the country is very poor ATM IMPO.

Agree, and the medicine of choice often seems to be alcohol, those that run the country take it to calm their nerves, and help to get through the day, why they even get it subsidised it is that much of a necessity......other drugs and mind altering substances are widespread, helping to kill pain along with prescription pain killers and mood altering drugs.....where do we go from here?;)

Edited by winkie

1 minute ago, scottbeard said:

I don’t fully understand your question - are you asking about CHILDRENs mental health?  No idea.  Mine are too young to care about geopolitical issues, they still wear nappies.

As for me the only thing that stresses me out is the fact I want to upsize my house to accommodate our growing family and working out how and when to do it.

I have an optimistic personality so however bad things are my brain just defaults into “I’m sure it will be fine”. It’s probably an evolutionary coping measure, but it does make me less worried. 

You are doing well then.....often kids pick up their parents worries and take it on-board themselves.....kids brains are wired young, their minds are sponges...... don't miss a trick, they learn languages very quickly, they learn about life very quickly.;)

7 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

How do you think a bigger house will help your children's mental health and wellbeing?......do you think a child having their own bedroom will affect how healthy and balanced they grow up to be?;)

16 minutes ago, winkie said:

Agree, and the medicine of choice often seems to be alcohol, those that run the country take it to calm their nerves, and help to get through the day, why they even get it subsidised it is that much of a necessity......other drugs and mind altering substances are widespread, helping to kill pain along with prescription pain killers and mood altering drugs.....where do we go from here?;)

I hate to bring the WFH debate up here but I think people working from home more is a massive contributing factor to this.  Humans are tribal animals in the end and generally don’t do well on their own.  The day to day human interactions at work keep many people sane.  Those advocating for WFH are missing this big time.  It also leads to poorer productivity.

40 minutes ago, Postman said:

2nd sentence...agree

1st sentence...... be nice to give capitalism a go some time.  

4 minutes ago, Gurgle said:

I hate to bring the WFH debate up here but I think people working from home more is a massive contributing factor to this.  Humans are tribal animals in the end and generally don’t do well on their own.  The day to day human interactions at work keep many people sane.  Those advocating for WFH are missing this big time.  It also leads to poorer productivity.

It depends a lot on the person and the job - writers have long liked to work in sheds at the bottom of the garden; extroverts like me gain energy by being with people but introverts can be much happier on their own.

Whats bad for mental health isn’t WFH but being FORCED to WFH when you don’t want to.

26 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I also wear a nappy for reasons 

2 minutes ago, Gurgle said:

Don't know about the productivity bit that is debatable...... generally people need people to interact with, bounce off of, laugh together, share experiences......not all people are the same, there are some that are not particularly social animals and prefer their own company most of the time...IT people tend to be on that spectrum, they do great working solo........then got to take into consideration other commitments a worker has, hours in the day..... sometimes there come a temporary point in a person's life that home working if they can fits in with them, nothing is forever.......happy employees are more productive.;)

54 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I know how you feel but not from seeing the same person as you , I get the feeling when Sadiq Khan pops up on my TV screen , at that point I pick up the remote and change channels. 

37 minutes ago, winkie said:

Agree, and the medicine of choice often seems to be alcohol, those that run the country take it to calm their nerves, and help to get through the day,

Alcohol has been the choice for hundreds of years. William Hogarth painted many pictures depicting the plight of the poor numbing their pain with Alcohol back in the 18th century. The Gin houses advertised Drunk for 1 penny really Drunk for 2 it was the poor's only way to relieve themselves from their harsh existence. 

6 minutes ago, Insane said:

Alcohol has been the choice for hundreds of years. William Hogarth painted many pictures depicting the plight of the poor numbing their pain with Alcohol back in the 18th century. The Gin houses advertised Drunk for 1 penny really Drunk for 2 it was the poor's only way to relieve themselves from their harsh existence. 

Now it is not just the poor is it........it has become a prop for all walks of life, the tax collected from the sale of alcohol must be enormous.;)

Climate change was/is going to kill us.

Then covid was going to kill us.

Then Voldimir was going to wipe us out.

Maybe freezing to death next winter is the better option.

No idea what it's done to everyone's mental health...