House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Negotiating Rent - Some Advice Please!

Can you expect to haggle over the advertised rent, and if so, by how much?

I've read elsewhere that your salary should be at least 2.5x rent, though that is an impossibility for me on £1,100/month take home. Properties I'm looking at are advertised at £500-£600/month rental. Am I likely to be forced to pay that or is there some scope for movement on the price? There's no way I'd get it down to the £440/month suggested by the rent x 2.5 = salary theory, but I could probably manage on somewhere around £500/month.

When renting an apartment, is the service charge included in the rent?

It is very inadvisable to rent if you are earning less than 2.5x the rent. However, this must be tailored individually. For example, someone who has a very busy social life, and travels in the car a lot, will be not be able to afford as high a rent as someone who stays in with the missus and cycles everywhere. It all depends on your personal expenditure, and what you are willing to sacrifice from it.

With regards negotiation, your best bet is to try and find a property that has been advertised a while, as they will be more willing to drop the rent significantly. However, of course, there will be reasons for it being advertised a while. It is always worth attempting to reduce the rent, just don't always expect it!

Good luck

Edited by MrShed

It is very inadvisable to rent if you are earning less than 2.5x the rent. However, this must be tailored individually. For example, someone who has a very busy social life, and travels in the car a lot, will be not be able to afford as high a rent as someone who stays in with the missus and cycles everywhere. It all depends on your personal expenditure, and what you are willing to sacrifice from it.

Well, I spend most of my spare time painting pictures and writing music... I'm not really one for boozing, I don't smoke and I only do 5000 miles per year in my car. I do bits of freelance work in my spare time and live cheaply... not obsessed with branded food, toilet cleaner, etc. and take a packed lunch to work, so I am used to living cheap.

I could rent for £500/month, get by in terms of bills, food, etc. for £300/month, and have £300/month surplus to which I could add anything I raise from my freelance work and selling my paintings.

If there's a service charge on an apartment is that included in the rent or would I have to pay that separately?

Well, I spend most of my spare time painting pictures and writing music... I'm not really one for boozing, I don't smoke and I only do 5000 miles per year in my car. I do bits of freelance work in my spare time and live cheaply... not obsessed with branded food, toilet cleaner, etc. and take a packed lunch to work, so I am used to living cheap.

I could rent for £500/month, get by in terms of bills, food, etc. for £300/month, and have £300/month surplus to which I could add anything I raise from my freelance work and selling my paintings.

If there's a service charge on an apartment is that included in the rent or would I have to pay that separately?

Service charge should be included but you need to check the rental agreement. Also don't forget council tax and water rates.