• Up to 1% (quarter point rise)
    • Up to 1.25% (Half point rise)

HOLA441
49 minutes ago, msi said:

CC APR don't affect mortgage rates, base rates do

Quick Google -

UK outstanding CC debt - 72bln.

Outstanding mortgage - 1,613bln.

Then theres personal loans, car finance.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
3 minutes ago, henry the king said:

Update: Fed ruled out bigger rises than 0.5%.

Could take the pressure off the BoE. Chances of no rise tomorrow increase

It is always possible that the BOE will raise rates by a full 1% especially if they already know that the CPI rate for April will come in closer to 9% than 8%

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
9 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

My guess is 0.25%

Bad timing for my mortgage renewal up in a few months. You may all laugh and point.

You might be one of those last lucky ones who get to fix before the really big and really fast rises come in later :)

HOLA4411
11 minutes ago, Huggy said:

You might be one of those last lucky ones who get to fix before the really big and really fast rises come in later :)

I'm relatively sanguine anyway, which is why I can make fun of myself here.

If I wasn't so lazy I would have locked in my next fix a few weeks back, but other stuff kept coming up.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Flat Bear said:

This is quite true but costs will continue rising until they are not

As Spyguy says they are exporting inflation.

Success breeds success. One billion Chinese now have First World living standards.

Exporting electric vehicles is what they'll be doing next btw. Millions of them!

https://www.just-auto.com/features/china-fast-becoming-leading-vehicle-exporting-nation/

China is fast becoming one of the world’s major vehicle exporting countries, with overseas shipments continuing to surge in the first two months of 2022 – by 75% to 410,000 units according to data compiled by the China Automotive Manufacturers Association (CAAM).

This followed an exceptional year in 2021, when exports more than doubled to just over two million units, making China the third-largest vehicle exporting nation behind only Japan with 3.82 million units and Germany with 2.3 million units. It overtook South Korea, which exported just 1.52 million vehicles last year.

Admittedly, this data does not take into account the vast overseas production capacity that underpins the global presence of leading automakers such as Toyota, Volkswagen and Hyundai-Kia, but it is indicative of the growing global ambitions of leading Chinese vehicle manufacturers.

https://uk.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/tesla-to-increase-giga-shanghai-capacity-by-450000-ev-units-per-year--report-2639882

Electric vehicle giant Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) has picked a spot to build its new production facility in Shanghai next to its Gigafactory 3, which would make Shanghai "the world's largest vehicle export hub."

The new factory will be capable of producing 450,000 units annually and is expected to start making Model 3 and Model Y vehicles once Tesla completes the first stage of the plant’s construction.

The new assembly facility will be a part of Tesla’s existing Gigafactory 3 which started production in late 2019. The news come after the Post reported in February that Tesla wants to build a second production line in Shanghai to more than double its capacity in China.

In its Gigafactory 3, Tesla produced 484,130 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles last year, which accounts for 51.7% of its global total of 936,000 vehicles. The company delivered 321,000 China-made Model 3 and Model Y vehicles last year, marking a 117% rise from 2020.

The carmaker’s existing production line in Shanghai is capable of producing more than 1,000 in a single shift.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Si1 said:

David Blanchflower has an opinion:

Daily Mail: Britain is ALREADY in recession and the Bank of England must CUT interest rates, says economist.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10782021/Britain-recession-Bank-England-CUT-rates-says-economist.html

And you had idiots like this moron actually on a committee setting monetary policies. Jesus wept.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I voted 0.5%  But that's more of a wish than an expectation 

One of three possible moods will present itself in my afternoon :

0% rise - drive home with furrowed brow, muttering

0.25% rise - drive home with neutral expression, mildly dissatisfied 

0.5% rise - drive home grinning with the occasional spontaneous chortle. Admire the countryside and cheek peck the wife on arrival...

HOLA4423
6 hours ago, BaldED said:

And you had idiots like this moron actually on a committee setting monetary policies. Jesus wept.

He's always come across as a wishy washy sociologist with no grasp of second order logic. But stupid people get into every part of society.

HOLA4424
12 hours ago, henry the king said:

The thing is, with 0.5% increases you are at 2% pretty soon, before the data can even change. 

If the Fed goes 0.5% next time too, then they are almost there.

Don't be surprised if they stop at 2%. Apparently that's why the stock markets soared yesterday, as the expectations have reduced after the Feds comments.

HOLA4425
7 hours ago, Gurgle said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/04/families-turn-credit-card-spending-cope-cost-living-crisis/

Households borrow another £800m as price rises bite

Credit card spending jumps ahead of expected rate increases

We walk amongst these retards.

Be careful out there.

Having said that I wonder if those "How much is your house worth now?" (front) "And now?" (back) T shirts will appear again.

Poking a bear with a stick while experiencing schadenfreude.  Best feeling😄