House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GAL BEAR

Just A Little 'anecdote' Lady At Works' House Been

Lady I work with has had her house on market since last June.

I was on the bus with her this morning and as we went past some flats which are being built in ROMFORD.

The conversation went as follows:-

HER: Those flats are disgusting, who the hell would buy those?

ME: They are on sale for over £150,000 each. (1 bed flats)

HER Your joking ! Did you know my house is up for sale?

ME: What still ?! (I knew of course, was just playing along)

HER: Yes,

ME: How long for?

HER: 00oh a while (I knew of course it was about 9 months!), but she did not want to admit it.

ME: Well, as I think i said to you before no-one can afford to buy and pay

these mad prices, all FTB'S are priced out, so then that has a knock on

effect to anyone wanting to buy your house (hers must be on for well about 300 grand).

HER: Yes I suppose so.

ME: Woman down the road from me has had house on since Christmas 04, so you are not

doing too badly so far!

HER: Your Joking!

ME: No, its on for around 200 grand. She won't reduce it, so it just won't sell.

I said to her "its not rocket science, reduce the price, then it will sell if you knock

enough off it".

I looked round at her and the look on her face!!!

She (the lady on the bus) wants to move to Cambridge and is after a nice house which she just happened to have the details of and showed me. Its a lovely house, 3 bed and it was only on for £149,000 which surprised me in that area!

ME: You had better sell yours quick or a lovely house like that will soon go!

HER: Well actually the ESTATE AGENT said its been on the books for nearly a year !!!!!!

NUFF SAID !!!

Funny really these people just won't learn will they?

Whats more amazing is that they see whats going on around them but they just don't take it in......The girl she sits next to at work took nearly a year to sell her house (she moved to spain) and she

had to knock 50 grand off it in the end.

I remembered back to last year the conversation i had (with the lady on the bus) when she was bragging about how much the EA had valued her house at !!!!

No good if you can't sell it though is it ? :lol::lol:

My observations of what is going on around me do not seem to match up with the media spin !!! <_<

Edited by GAL BEAR

My observations of what is going on around me do not seem to match up with the media spin

Absolutely. Those tangled up with property now cannot see the wood for the trees.

Send this story in to the main press - it's only a click away. A few days ago I wrote an email to the Times Deputy Property Editor with anecdotal evidence (similar to yours above), which plain contradicted the main stream media. She even sent back a short reply thanking me for the feedback (so she must have read it).

The Times they are a changin' (couldn't resist it).

Absolutely. Those tangled up with property now cannot see the wood for the trees.

Send this story in to the main press - it's only a click away. A few days ago I wrote an email to the Times Deputy Property Editor with anecdotal evidence (similar to yours above), which plain contradicted the main stream media. She even sent back a short reply thanking me for the feedback (so she must have read it).

The Times they are a changin' (couldn't resist it).

Tell me who to e.mail and I will !!

Lady I work with has had her house on market since last June.

ME: How long for?

HER: 00oh a while (I knew of course it was about 9 months!), but she did not want to admit it.

I remembered back to last year the conversation i had (with the lady on the bus) when she was bragging about how much the EA had valued her house at !!!!

No good if you can't sell it though is it ? :lol::lol:

My observations of what is going on around me do not seem to match up with the media spin !!! <_<

D'yah, that's nothing!

Lady I work with has had her house on the market since June2003 (with 2 agents).

NOW JUST REDUCED BY 90K

I would imagine the agents suggested reducing it as she clearly has no idea.

D'yah, that's nothing!

Lady I work with has had her house on the market since June2003 (with 2 agents).

NOW JUST REDUCED BY 90K

I would imagine the agents suggested reducing it as she clearly has no idea.

:o BLOODY HELL !!! Are you winding us up or is that for real !!!

Thats' not a CRASH its' an EARTHQUAKE !

Edited by GAL BEAR

:o BLOODY HELL !!! Are you winding us up or is that for real !!!

Thats' not a CRASH its' an EARTHQUAKE !

Yes it's true.

Came on the market June 2003 with one agent at 425k

Then dropped to 395k on with 2 agents

January 2006 reduced to 335k and I believe it's been empty since August 2004 as they purchased another house in June 2004.

Possibly it's a forced financial reduction ?

It's not unique by any means I know of many similar stale to the market properties

I'm seeing the opposite mindset here in Spain.

The house next door to my (rented) place has been up for sale for over a year - asking price one million euros (about £685,000).

They've had absolutely no interest, so what have they just done? You guessed it, they've put it on with another agent (the one my partner works for - but they don't know this yet) for €250,000 MORE!

Oh, they have done a bit of painting and put up a couple of shelves, judging by the banging last weekend.

The other amusing thing is that they've asked the agent to be 'discrete' about letting people know it's for sale. Not sure of the motivation behind this, perhaps they don't want the neighbours to know in case they all decide to cash in - they paid the equivalent of about €20,000 when the houses were built in the early eighties.

Cheers

LL

I'm seeing the opposite mindset here in Spain.

The house next door to my (rented) place has been up for sale for over a year - asking price one million euros (about £685,000).

They've had absolutely no interest, so what have they just done? You guessed it, they've put it on with another agent (the one my partner works for - but they don't know this yet) for €250,000 MORE!

Oh, they have done a bit of painting and put up a couple of shelves, judging by the banging last weekend.

The other amusing thing is that they've asked the agent to be 'discrete' about letting people know it's for sale. Not sure of the motivation behind this, perhaps they don't want the neighbours to know in case they all decide to cash in - they paid the equivalent of about €20,000 when the houses were built in the early eighties.

Cheers

LL

Funny you should say that, I went to view a house early last year that had been on the market for over 12 months, 245k, "sea views" (sliver of blue between the trees) bit tired, 80's fittings etc.

Another house across the road came on the market, virtually identical for 225k, sold instantly.

A couple of months later the original house I viewed was on with another agent for 325k!!

Needless to say it's still very much FOR SALE.

The irony of it all, is that the vendor is an ex estate agent who started a business up in early 2003 and sold it to another local agent in 2004. He was there for the viewing but his wife showed me around?

It would seem that he really misses the boat on a regular basis and the 2004 boom.