House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
echapps

South Coast Annecdote

Yesterday an EA valued my house (a mere 3-bed semi) at £175k, recommended asking price £180k.

Last May, the same EA valued the house at £170k, asking price would have been £175k.

In Spring 2004 we marketed the house for a time at £170k, had an asking-price offer but declined and stayed put.

We bought for £102k on an AP of £103k in 2000

Very roughly, that's 13% HPI until 2004, then 3% HPI for each of the past two years. Nice GSD :o

Estate Agents in this area are apparently very very busy at the moment. I get the impression that they are taking a lot of properties onto their books. Although my particular EA claims this is balanced by lots of buyer enquiries (well he would wouldn't he if he wants my business as a vendor), he gave the impression it's still a buyers' market out there: "If a property's not selling then there's only one thing wrong .... the price."

hth someone.

Yesterday an EA valued my house (a mere 3-bed semi) at £175k, recommended asking price £180k.

Last May, the same EA valued the house at £170k, asking price would have been £175k.

In Spring 2004 we marketed the house for a time at £170k, had an asking-price offer but declined and stayed put.

We bought for £102k on an AP of £103k in 2000

Very roughly, that's 13% HPI until 2004, then 3% HPI for each of the past two years. Nice GSD :o

Estate Agents in this area are apparently very very busy at the moment. I get the impression that they are taking a lot of properties onto their books. Although my particular EA claims this is balanced by lots of buyer enquiries (well he would wouldn't he if he wants my business as a vendor), he gave the impression it's still a buyers' market out there: "If a property's not selling then there's only one thing wrong .... the price."

hth someone.

WTF would you market a house for a price, achieve an asking price offer and turn it down??

Bl00dy timewasting idiot IMO. :angry: :angry:

WTF would you market a house for a price, achieve an asking price offer and turn it down??

Bl00dy timewasting idiot IMO. :angry: :angry:

He was checking the market out? Roll on HIPS

Change in personal circumstances. Use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of circumstances where you'd do the same.

Anyway, as is much discussed here, the asking price is an arbritrary figure usually suggested by an EA. If market value turns out to be above this figure, then vendors are wise to reject asking-price offers.

Edited by echapps

Change in personal circumstances. Use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of circumstances where you'd do the same.

Anyway, as is much discussed here, the asking price is an arbritrary figure usually suggested by an EA. If market value turns out to be above this figure, then vendors are wise to reject asking-price offers.

In other words you thought you'd get more. :P

Edited by Landagan