House Price Crash Forum

British Gas Owners Increasing Prices By 22%

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The BBC is inviting reaction to the news here

Here's a good example:

That's right Linda, you tell 'em. How dare those nasty gas companies try to pass on any of these increases to us. It's a complete disgrace and I'll be writing to my MP straight away.

wait till she hears that interest rates have to go up too... somehow, I don't think the majority of people will understand.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I think it might, just might, be caused by the anti competitive practices of certain French, German and Belgian gas supply companies. Monopolies in gas supply network.

Big EU announcement yesterday.

Do any of you watch the news?

quite handy that it's Johnny Foreigner's fault

Our economy has benefited from cheaper imports for some time. It's what allowed us to lower interest rates in the first place. We shouldn't be surprised when the cost of certain imports rise.

Edited by Sisyphus

HOLA448

This is going to have a terrible affect on the elderly, those who are long-term sick and those who, for whatever reason, are struggling to get by now. I do not mean those who have got themselves into debt up to the hilt for houses, cars, new kitchens, etc, but the millions of people in our Society who struggle to get by from day to day.

This is an immoral and totally unjustifiable rise.

With regards to inflation and HPC this will no doubt have an affect as these costs are going to seep into the wider economy and cause all sorts of problems.

HOLA449

Gas to be increased 22% but don`t forget that V.A.T. has to be levied (currently 5% I think) so the effects on the domestic consumer may be severe.

But looking on the bright side such rises` may prompt fuel saving measures which may reduce global warming.

horace :D

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I think it might, just might, be caused by the anti competitive practices of certain French, German and Belgian gas supply companies. Monopolies in gas supply network.

Big EU announcement yesterday.

Do any of you watch the news?

Is it wrong to 'blame' the high prices on other EU members. They are acting responsibly, putting security of supply before short term economic benefit. The response to our North Sea gas depletion should have been to build more storage capacity, instead we turned to the market which has left us selling our gas to the continent very cheaply in the summer and buying it back at high prices in the winter.

BBC News is reporting 3 MILLION will not be able to pay their gas bills by the end of the year.

Look at this graph from the government in January: Fuel Poverty

They think fuel poverty is going to fall!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Here's my take on it: Gas Prices Increase, Fuel Poverty Down?

The BBC still aren't getting to the root of the problem (North Sea gas depletion and Governments inaction) and the Government are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think prices can rise like this and fuel poverty fall at the same time. How can the price of something increase whilst it simultaneously becomes more affordable? We certainly aren’t getting richer.

Edited by clv101

HOLA4414

Increasing prices will cause more demand for smaller energy efficient properties. I can see large detached homes and drafty Victorian houses with high ceilings going out of favour.

The gap between small properties and large properties will narrow but it will also mean FTBers will find it hard to afford a small home as they will be competing with everyone else.

Our last house was a 70's detached house with large windows. It was always hard to heat in the winter. Now we are glad to be shot of it. We won't be looking at properties older than mid 80's now.

HOLA4415

This is an immoral and totally unjustifiable rise.

I dont get that - the cost to BG has gone up massively, so it's only natural they have to pass the cost on, after all they are a company.

Are we really expecting them to sell it to us at a loss?

In what way is it either immoral or unjustified?

HOLA4416

I dont get that - the cost to BG has gone up massively, so it's only natural they have to pass the cost on, after all they are a company.

Are we really expecting them to sell it to us at a loss?

In what way is it either immoral or unjustified?

Its like Shell only last year they were moaning about taxes making it unviable to scan the North Sea reserves and then they pulling in the most bumper profit in history. British Gas will be the same. By the time they announce that their year on year profits were 22% up on the previous year we will have all forgotten that they raised their prices by 22%.

Anyone got a big woolly jumper they want to lend me?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well they're just not keen on pushing renewables...

http://www.clear-skies.org/

Scheme funds are now almost exhausted. Only applications received by post prior to 5pm on Friday 3rd March 2006 will be considered. As funds are limited there is no guarantee that an offer of grant will be made even for those applications received by this date.

Date of notice: 10th February 2006.